CNN Special Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN Special Documentary

In the darkness before dawn, the workers file into the factory. When the last of them enters, a steel door slams shut behind them and whistle blow announces the beginning of another day’s work. Hundreds of children, none older than sixteen and often younger than twelve, work for the next twelve hours assembling machine tools that will produce weaponry, construction material and the day to day comforts of life for the citizens of their nation. They work without pause or break, unceasingly, hunched over their part of the assembly line until their eyes blur and the pain in their backs becomes unbearable.

The claustrophobia in the in the air is palpable; the workroom is no larger than it has to be, the ceiling is too low for many of the taller children, and there is little space between workstations. Security cameras swivel slowly back and forth recording everything and noting any signs of slacking. Eventually, after half a day of work that seems to have blurred into an eternity, a bell rings, announcing a thirty minute rest for lunch. The children open drawers beneath their workstations and pull out a small, bland packet of rations, which they quickly consume before sitting down on the floor and trying to get some sleep before having to start work again.

At last, another bell rings announcing the end of the day. Work halts and the children let out a collective sigh, before a voice speaks over the loudspeakers.

“DUE TO YOUR FAILURE TO MEET YEASTERDAY’S PRODUCTION QUOTA, WORK IS TO CONTINUE FOR ANOTHER TWO HOURS. IF THE QUOTA IS NOT MET BY THEN, RATIONS WILL BE WITHELD UNTIL IT IS.”

A loud groan echoes around the room, but the children know better than to waste time complaining. They slowly go back to work until a final bell announces that they are free to go. The steel door slides open and the children squeeze out as quickly as possible – with just another few hours until they must return for their next shift.

* Image fades out, replaced by a reporter's face *

What is this? Footage from some Third World dictatorship on Old Earth? Indonesia, perhaps? Pakistan? China?

No. This is the hidden side of the Peacekeeper economy. Under the pretence of ‘technical apprenticeships’, local production chiefs throughout the Peacekeeper faction, desperate keep up to schedule, press Drone children into service in these hellish factories, often for weeks at a time. In spite of the vast strides that have been taken in industrial automation, many production chiefs still find it cheaper to employ children; they need not request resources for the construction of robots, and they don’t need to admit that they’re behind schedule.

What makes this even worse is that, under the Marxist program pushed through and maintained by the CCCP, and further strengthened by the Pandemoniak Social Engineering Decree of 2213, it is entirely legal. The decree authorizes special ‘hands-on training classes’ for children at the discretion of local authorities; in practise, this means that as long as no-one objects, any child in the education system can be conscripted into the workforce indefinitely. Although political realities mean that the children of Talents and Citizens are effectively immune to this treatment, those of Drones, who are usually unemployed and mostly unskilled, are fair game. With parents who are often unskilled and without influence in the vast bureaucracy that governs the UN, they are willing to take whatever they can get – and this is often all they can get. The children, and their parents, are afraid to speak out for fear that they will lose their jobs – which is quite often the only thing keeping them going. The bureaucracy often takes months to approve requests for support from those without influence, and many such requests from Drones are refused in any case, or are insufficient to properly support them.

This is the world of a Drone in Peacekeeper society, a society which claims to be founded upon equality. It is a world few see, a hidden stain upon the honour of the United Nations. For the sake of our conscience, the rights of our people, and our claim to represent freedom on this planet, the existence of such a world cannot be tolerated.

“The time has come when silence is betrayal,” said Martin Luther King, “That time is now.”

Inciting Revolts is a Crime

Attached Files
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

There were tears in my eyes as I watched that documentary. While I have influence to bring to bear, this will be raised at the highest levels. We need the output but from well paid skilled workers not the sons of drones.

This CNN documentary has done a service to the community.
      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Interesting. I can assure all concerned that this does not happen, in the slightest, in Akiria. We support apprenticeships but slave labour, in these inhumane conditions, is unquestionably bad. Moreover, in Akiria, every child gets the same treatment. The offspring of talents get the same as the offspring of drones. Is this documentary based in Centralis? If it is I urge you most strongly to stop this barbaric practice. Simply because it is legal does not mean it should happen. I urge all Governors to make sure that this is ceases to exist immediatly.
        Smile
        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Is this documentary based in Centralis?
          I thought the exact same thing. These practices do not happen in Jedinica Vrijstaat!! I am appaled this happens in Centralis. I first even thought this was a documentary about the Hive. And I thought your region would do at least better than that. May I therefore suggest you take action immediately?

Although political realities mean that the children of Talents and Citizens are effectively immune to this treatment, those of Drones, who are usually unemployed and mostly unskilled, are fair game. With parents who are often unskilled and without influence in the vast bureaucracy that governs the UN, they are willing to take whatever they can get – and this is often all they can get. The children, and their parents, are afraid to speak out for fear that they will lose their jobs – which is quite often the only thing keeping them going. The bureaucracy often takes months to approve requests for support from those without influence, and many such requests from Drones are refused in any case, or are insufficient to properly support them.
          With a few word changes, this text could be used to show the drawbacks of Free Market, instead of Planned as you are trying to do. Let's try:

Although economical realities mean that the children of Talents and Citizens are effectively immune to this treatment, those of Drones, who are usually unemployed and mostly unskilled due to the lack of a government sponsored education system, are fair game. With parents who are often unskilled and without influence in the transfactional corporations that virtually rule the UN, they are willing to take whatever they can get – and this is often all they can get. The children, and their parents, are afraid to speak out for fear that they will lose their jobs – which is quite often the only thing keeping them going. Unfortunately labor unions are prohibited under this corporate dictatorship, so no action against these tragic situations can be taken. The bureaucracy often takes months to approve requests for support from those without influence, and many such requests from Drones are refused in any case, or are insufficient to properly support them, as the government recently cut its social security and welfare spending again.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I was thinking of something along those lines too Maniac. Eloquently put I like the "Although political realities mean that the children of Talents and Citizens are effectively immune to this treatment" of the original, great imagination. However, I think we an equal democracy, as we have, it cannot happen. Planned makes no difference to 'political realities' IMHO, it is just an economic state.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

GT, you forgot to add that Planned followers actually eat small children.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                  I can assure all concerned that this does not happen, in the slightest, in Akiria.
                  Originally posted by Maniac
                  These practices do not happen in Jedinica Vrijstaat!!
                  And you can be certain of this not happening behind your back how? They're already covering up the fact that they don't always reach quotas. Neither of you can be certain of this at all

Yes, I'm as appaled this happens in Centralis as anyone else, but I'm even more appaled that it happens in other regions too and that they're covering it up instead of bringing the issue to the fore as GT has. Even I at first thought this was a documentary about life in the Hive. This is beyond what even I would've accused Pan of supporting under his Marxist policies. But the fact of the matter is, this is what's happening.

Originally posted by Maniac
                  With a few word changes, this text could be used to show the drawbacks of Free Market, instead of Planned as you are trying to do. Let's try:

Although economical realities mean that the children of Talents and Citizens are effectively immune to this treatment, those of Drones, who are usually unemployed and mostly unskilled due to the lack of a government sponsored education system, are fair game. With parents who are often unskilled and without influence in the transfactional corporations that virtually rule the UN, they are willing to take whatever they can get - and this is often all they can get. The children, and their parents, are afraid to speak out for fear that they will lose their jobs - which is quite often the only thing keeping them going. Unfortunately labor unions are prohibited under this corporate dictatorship, so no action against these tragic situations can be taken. The bureaucracy often takes months to approve requests for support from those without influence, and many such requests from Drones are refused in any case, or are insufficient to properly support them, as the government recently cut its social security and welfare spending again.
                  *Cough* 20% Psych *Cough*
                  You seem to have conviently forgotten that no one's supporting a pure free market here.

lack of a government sponsored education system - Not with 20% Psych
                  transfactional corporations that virtually rule the UN - Strawman of Free Market
                  labor unions are prohibited under this corporate dictatorship - Not prohibited at all under 20% Psych or with a Democracy. Strawman of a free market
                  as the government recently cut its social security and welfare spending again - Under 20% Psych? No they wouldn't. And don't forget.....Planned economy's don't have any social security or welfare spending.

Originally posted by Drogue
                  I was thinking of something along those lines too Maniac. Eloquently put I like the "Although political realities mean that the children of Talents and Citizens are effectively immune to this treatment" of the original, great imagination. However, I think we an equal democracy, as we have, it cannot happen. Planned makes no difference to 'political realities' IMHO, it is just an economic state.
                  "You think" doesn't change the reality. Democracy's can be perverted, and in ours, corruption is rampant. Perhaps you didn't realise just how inefficient our bureaucracy is, thanks greatly to our very Planned Economy. Or perhaps, just perhaps, you're already aware of this. You doth protest too much. There is a conspiricy of lies and silence at work here gentlemen. Child Labour in your regions is a reality. Denying it's existance only makes you a party to it. Instead of helping the cover up, perhaps you should be like Herc here and start raising a ruckus, and clean up your regions. Of course, you do need to realise that what's happening *is* perfectly legal ATM....what are you going to do about it?
                  Last edited by Archaic; January 23, 2003, 01:58.
                  Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

A documentary, produced by Josef Goebbels, directed by Leni Riefenstahl.
                    Last edited by Pandemoniak; January 23, 2003, 06:30.
                    "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
                    "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

Ah, the typical Pan response - 'I can't figure out a way to argue against it, so I'm just going to call the person who said it a Nazi and hope they go away.' If you want to debate the veracity or otherwise of the documentary, do so, but try to refrain from comparing everyone more than one millimetre to the right of you to a Nazi.

Comment

Have u seen the documentary of Leni Riefenstahl ?
                        Its actually exactly the same that the one you just did, with only little differences, since she made it in 1932 and this one is three hundreds years after. So this is a totally logic affirmation, it's just you should check out your sources before you show any holomaterial to an director of holofilms.

Comment

No, I haven't seen it, I don't see why I would wish to, and I don't see what similarities there would be between the documentary presented a film which was supposedly the earlier version of Triumph of the Will,

As for the sources - this documentary was constructed from direct film and from film taken from the security camera records of the factories in question. I've been to those factories in person, and I can tell you that they do exist.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
                            I've been to those factories in person, and I can tell you that they do exist.
                            Likewise here. I too have "walked with the Drones", and quite frankly, it's no suprise there's been Riots recently with us allowing this to occur.
                            This is happening in *every* base. They're hardly isolated incidents. Akiria, Centralis, Jedinica Vrijstaat, every region is plagued by this.
                            Hell, even in my own home base of Terminal Dogma, things like this occur. Even though this is a free trade area, a decree on Education still has its effect, and as much as I hate the law, I'm powerless to do anything at this point simply because it is the law. There is no legal way for me to stop or punish these people. Terminal Dogma is representative of only a pure free market, not a free market with psych spending. Just like in a Planned economy, there is simply no wellfare system here in place to provide a safety net for these children or their families so that they don't get in situation where they'd need to rely on it in the first place.
                            Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
                              No, I haven't seen it, I don't see why I would wish to, and I don't see what similarities there would be between the documentary presented a film which was supposedly the earlier version of Triumph of the Will,
                              Well, you should have, that would have prevent you to quote nazi propaganda. Know as well, that it is not simply an earlier version of TRiumph of the Will, this is also a rant against all the vertues of brotherhoodship and communalism incarnated in Riefensthal's perturbated mind by the USSR, not only an apology of nazism and cult of one person.

As for the sources - this documentary was constructed from direct film and from film taken from the security camera records of the factories in question. I've been to those factories in person, and I can tell you that they do exist.
                              This remains propaganda, and I never heard such an annoucement as "THE QUOTAS ...", except for gross jokes from UN Peacekeepers workers to Hivean immigrants and political refugees. But of course, when you record a joke and put it as an off voice on other images, this is stil documentaries images and sounds. Quite ****ed up actually, as an argument of truth.

Likewise here. I too have "walked with the Drones", and quite frankly, it's no suprise there's been Riots recently with us allowing this to occur.
                              This is happening in *every* base. They're hardly isolated incidents. Akiria, Centralis, Jedinica Vrijstaat, every region is plagued by this.
                              I repeat this is a faked documentary, and I have all the proofs needed. As for walking with the Drones, you must have confused : I walk with the Drones, while you wish to walk and climb over their dead bodies. And if you ever were to a riot, you'd know that this is not pro-FMs riots, but rather pro-Green riots, since the drones want to abolish the bureaucracy : it wasnt feasible before we discovered Centauri Empathy, but now that we can have a fair and humane economic policy, as your Director of Social Engineering, I'll do my best to promote what the drones want : Green Economics.

Comment

Working...
                              X