In-House Preview Online: Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-House Preview Online: Part 2

The second of a six-part detailed preview of Master of Orion III is now online. This six-page article, accompanied by sixteen screenshots, is written by Apolyton CS Co-Owner/Administrator Daniel Quick.

In late December, 2002, an advanced beta copy of [MoO3 arrived in my mailbox. Since then, I have had the opportunity to examine this much-anticipated turn-based strategy title first hand – both inside and outside of the gameplay itself, says Quick. What has been posted today is the first of six installments of this feature. In this edition, the focus is on the wealth of pre-gameplay customization options and their importance in a healthy and enjoyable engagement.

On behalf of the Apolyton CS staff and administration, I would like to thank MoO3 Producer Constantine Hantzopoulos and the rest of the game's team at both Infogrames Interactive and Quicksilver Software for this opportunity.

Part 3 will be posted next Thursday (barring any unforeseen circumstances). Comments on this article are welcomed in this thread.

-------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Awesome!!

I have wanted some race custmization details (w/screenshots) for awhile.

Thanks!

Also: the last screenshot for me would not maximize...the little picture if clicked on only lead to a tiny picture of it in a new window.....there a problem there?

Could you just say how many picks it is to go from Random to Yes or to No in the Orion Senate pick??

Also, I know the #points for the various picks differs some by race...do you have any examples? does it differ a little or a lot?

How much does it cost to chace picks like accuracy, toughness, etc. Are they 20 like most of the other ones up there, or something else.

Comment

The part about sole survivor should say "...and is the on one that an NOT be disabled", shouldnt it?

The link to the biodiversity pic opens up the "special attributes" pick.

And the phrase "as eluded to above" should be "as alluded to above"; "eluded to above" would mean "escaped from above".

The "Senate" link doesnt maximize.
      Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

People should be poked in the eye....

Comment

Nice to get some new info, but not to to be rude or anything, was it neccessary to spend 3 pages describing the menus?

I liked the screenshots though. Pictoral descriptions of menu systems are for more interesting. So, can we expect part 3 next week?
        By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by 13Matt13
          The part about sole survivor should say "...and is the on one that an NOT be disabled", shouldnt it?

The link to the biodiversity pic opens up the "special attributes" pick.

And the phrase "as eluded to above" should be "as alluded to above"; "eluded to above" would mean "escaped from above".

The "Senate" link doesnt maximize.
          Hi 13Matt13.

re: "Sole Survivor"
          An oversight on my part -- corrected.

re: 'Biodiversity' screenshot
          Link fixed.

re: phrase...
          You are right -- an oversight on my part. Corrected.

[re: "Senate" screenshot link]
          A 'legacy' code remnant from Part 1. Corrected. Thanks to Alexfrog too for pointing this one out.

-----------
          Dan; Apolyton CS
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Nice work, Dan. Keep it up.

The last screenshot shows a thumbnail when clicked, at least for me.
            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by moomin
              Nice work, Dan. Keep it up.

The last screenshot shows a thumbnail when clicked, at least for me.
              Hi moomin. Thank you for the kind words!

I just finished repairing an issue with the last screenshot as described in posts above -- you likely the saw the problem just before it was corrected. Try again; if the problem is persisting, hit "Refresh"/"Reload" in your browser. If that still does not clear things up, clear your browser cache(s) and try again.

------------
              Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
                Nice to get some new info, but not to to be rude or anything, was it neccessary to spend 3 pages describing the menus?

I liked the screenshots though. Pictoral descriptions of menu systems are for more interesting. So, can we expect part 3 next week?
                Not at all, re: rude. Some people will find the discussion interesting and others not -- I realize that.

Glad you liked the screenshots. As indicated in the related news item, Part 3 is to be posted next Thursday barring any unforeseen circumstances.

------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Hi DanQ

No problem, theres a couple of other errors, if youd like me to nitpick.

Kudos, and look forward to reading the others.

PS.- Are you guys gonna do 1 per week? Or is it gonna start to pick up as release approaches? Or is MOO not coming out for at least antoher 4 weeks?
                  Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

People should be poked in the eye....

Comment

Originally posted by 13Matt13
                    Hi DanQ

No problem, theres a couple of other errors, if youd like me to nitpick.

Kudos, and look forward to reading the others.

PS.- Are you guys gonna do 1 per week? Or is it gonna start to pick up as release approaches? Or is MOO not coming out for at least antoher 4 weeks?
                    If you find additional errors, please email them to me and I will correct them as soon as possible. Yes, they are nitpicking points but to me they are important to me to fix. I appreciate people taking the time to both read what I have written and sending me feedback... even if it is to nitpick.

Given the volume of material I of course re-read what I wrote several times, but it is not always possible for one to catch all of their own errors after staring at a document for some time...

As far as the scheduling of future instalments goes, see the related news item to the article in question as well as one of my previous responses above that addresses this.

-------------
                    Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Great! Really interesting article DanQ. And it cleared up most of the queries i had about this area of the game (it also answered some queries i didn't even know i had, as well as raising new ones).

At the rate of a preview a week, the game might be in the stores by the time the preview is finished - that just seems a bit odd to me - it wouldn't really be a preview any more.

Comment

"The range runs from one through fifteen. That's right – if you want all of Master of Orion III's races actively present in a game including yourself, you can make it so. "

I don`t think this is correct. I believe the players are of random race and specie with the possibility of duplicates..

Comment

Its nice :=)

Im surprised there are only three Difficulty Levels though?
                          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Yes, regarding the number of races: if you put 15 computer races, you DONT get all 16 races in the game, since there can be duplicates. UNLESS they changed that and no longer allow duplicates, which is always a possibility.

On the infogrames moo3 boards, there is a thread where we calculated out all the probabilities of various numbers of races being represented in a game with 16 empires....

Re: 3 difficulty levels. I read somewhere (official I think) that there were 4. Maybe one is a tutorial difficulty??

In the past, MOO games have had easy/normal/hard/impossible or tutor/easy/normal/hard/impossible.

However, it would seem to be in Rantz and Chantz's 'style' to not have an 'impossible' mode. They cut everything they consider 'cheesy', and a game difficulty level of 'impossible' could be perceived as such.

I realled liked this preveiw, as it was a much more in depth and detailed look at race creation than we have had before from any previous source. And race creation is the part that interests me the most (as it did in MOO2).

Comment

Nice preview. I'm currently taking double BA for history and poli so I'm also intrested like you on your next preview. I also have a tendency to play the hardest in all the games I play, very much suicidal like those types that pick generally deficient race you mention . Also I read in another preview, wargamers I believe that said combat is in realtime or so. Is it like 'Star Trek:Birth of the Federation' type deal? not sure you ever played that game thou I'm assumin you didn't play multi yet so you wouldn't know if everyone does their turns at the same time. A final point is there hotseat?
                              Last edited by Got Milk??; January 16, 2003, 21:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X