Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which source code should we petition them to release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which source code should we petition them to release?

There has been some talk about this. I would for example like to see civ2 code released, for my curiosity and education purposes plus I also think a nice community would gather around it to improve the most glaring bugs.

It is simply a classic and needs some maintenance work, but no revolutionary stuff

Obviousely, after ToT they dont plan to make any more money off it, so they could as well release it. What do you think are the chances of that?

I created this as a poll, so you can vote for the game(s) whose source you would most like to see released to the community. I made it multichoice, but dont vote for all of them though, you ll mess up the poll
    Civilization I
    12.36%
    Civilization II MGE or ToT
    24.72%
    Call to Power
    7.87%
    Call to Power II
    12.36%
    Master of Orion
    4.49%
    Master of Orion II
    5.62%
    Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri
    14.61%
    Colonization
    12.36%
    Freeciv (gotcha!)
    3.37%
    Other .... (name it)
    2.25%

Civ2/ToT by a long shot.
    The ability to add new triggers/flags, remove the unit/city numerical limits and tie these in to map locations would make a huge difference.
    Add in new resources/specials created throughout the game and remove the events filesize limitations and you're set for life...

Comment

Of all of these games that would benefit most from the source code being released, it would be CtP2 by a country mile. Alot of bugs that need to be fixed and theres plenty of people around here whod want to mess with it. I would personally like to see the "rush-buy bug" in MP fixed too.

But i cant see any Firaxis fan-boys signing a petition for that. Fat lot of good it would do anyway.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

colonization. i'd love to be able to tweak the little things in that game. city radius for one.

Comment

Voted SMAC and MoO2 as those could have some interesting code that could give ideas to StP, but I assume CtP2 could be interesting too.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

CtP2, even if it is just to read the comments
            When voting, ironically i got this quote
            ARBITRARY_TERRAIN_VALUE = 650; //I don't know; just sounded good
            -- St Swithin (Activision), tut2_main.slc
            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Colonisation if it would help bring along Colonisation2.

Comment

CtP2 would probably be the most useful. Given the game has been abandoned I don't see the problem.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

hi ,

CIV II , but it should be limited , otherwise some people shall ruin the game and the fun

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

how would they ruin it? i'm betting that all those cheats Xin Yu found could be eliminated. there's a list as long the role of the civ3 democracy game.

Comment

I voted for Civ I and Civ II ...

When I upgrade my computer to the newest model/software, I plan to make sure it can still play a "classic" game like Civ II (I have a Macintosh). The game is simply TIMELESS.

Gatekeeper
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I voted for Civ II. After 7 years it's stall hard to beat thanks to it's scenario support. Some old loopholes and cheats closed would also be welcomed. The chances of it actually happening are slim to absolutely nill. Only smaller companies seem to release the source for their games (like 3D realms Rise of the Triad).

As for Freeciv, well that's a bit obvious ain't it?
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Civ, Civ2 and SMAC/X of course...
                          (+1)

Comment

I voted for Civ II MGE as the most important. It is still modern enough to be of relevance, yet old enough to be even vaguely possible. Plus I was obsessed with it for quite a while! If the AI could be brought up to snuff I could see myself easily playing Civ2 today.

CTP II might be another good choice because of its good modding capabilities, but I never played it, so civ2 won. Same for SMAC. I played the demo and it just seemed to be Civ2 in space, with the same atrocious AI .

I hope you can succeed, but it doesn't seem likely. Going to have an e-petition with signitures?

How about this for an idea with a little more punch. . . Ask the relevant company How Much Money they would want to do it. It might be a rather modest amount that would make the bean-counters smile since the games are essentially written off already. Then set up a paypal account for donations. Spread over a large fan base it might be doable. I think it'd at least have a better chance than appealing to their altruism!
                            Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                            Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Civilization II by far. Adding to Civ2 more than 7 civs and border-lines support will be nice. But Infogrames (it has the rigth after Microprose problem, hasn't it?) is maybe still gettting money from it...
                              Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Working...
                              X