Call to Power Democracy Game FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quinns,
    You need about 7-10 people to keep the government running and if you want to keep the elections even remotely interesting, you'll need at least another 7-10 as backups. Having only one person run for each position during the elections (which is happening in the CtP2DG at the moment) is very boring. You need more candidates, to create diversity and spark debate. Plus, not everyone may be interested in participating in the government every month, or even at all. It's just like in a real democracy: most cabinets of real government consist of between 10 and 30 members, while the total number of people involved in politics numbers into the thousands, even in the smallest countries. Unless people are very devoted and don't care that everyone does the same thing throughout the game, you can't possibly play a full DG with less than 10 people, while 15-20 is really the recommended minimum.

On top of that, the more people play, the more people can share their knowledge of the game and the more different opinions are represented, which adds greatly to the experience. Also, with more people you could start political factions or parties and you have more room for roleplay, minigames, etc, etc. Generally speaking, the more people are involved, the more fun it is...
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Very good! Thanks for the in depth explanation!! I'm getting a much better idea of what a DG is now. (I hope others are benefitting from my ignorant questions ) Much appreciated Locutus and Frozzy.

Even if the a/i isn't that strong, it may still defeat us -- as a democracy -- because we will be constantly debating and arguing and fouling things up-- just like a real government! Am I starting to get the idea?

Comment

NP.

Even if the a/i isn't that strong, it may still defeat us -- as a democracy -- because we will be constantly debating and arguing and fouling things up-- just like a real government!
        Well, it hasn't happened before and I sure hope we won't be the first, but if we can't agree on what the best course of action would be, then that's entirely possible

Am I starting to get the idea?
        Yeah, you seem to be getting the hang of it
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
          The idea is to get together with a group of different people with different ideas about how to approach the game and to try play the game together, making decisions democratically. This process of decision making is (supposed to be) both fun and educational (both in the sense that you might find some new tricks and tactics or ways of looking at the game, as well as in the sense that you might learn a thing or two about democracy itself). In addition to that, Democracy Games also offer plenty of room for role playing, story writing, debating, bickering, spamming and other forms of entertainment
          i don't think i could have said it any better

H Tower doesn't even own CtP2,
          I'm working on that, I was at BestBuy yesterday and they were selling a copy of the game for $28 USD. I refuse to pay that much

Comment

[SIZE=1]
            Even if the a/i isn't that strong, it may still defeat us -- as a democracy -- because we will be constantly debating and arguing and fouling things up-- just like a real government! Am I starting to get the idea?
            Yes, this is quite a well know phenomena. Occasionally a chess Grandmaster will play a game agains his whole country (Usually Russia.) The country never does any good. The average chess player is a bit better then the concensus chess player.
            If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Comment

Very interesting, CheckMate. I never heard of that before... But I believe it!

Comment

Hey, this Democracy game sounds great!
                Take me, take me!!
                The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
                - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

Sounds exciting...count me in
                  "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Pave click the "civGroups": Call to Power Democracy Game above to join the democracy game.

Comment

Yes,I joined in democracy game, what else I have to do?
                      The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
                      - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

Wait a minute, is this democracy game already going on or can I make a new game?
                        - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

Pave, just read all the threads here. The game has just started. We vote on all of the moves. Most of the action is in the threads that have the word "Official" in their title. These are the polling threads where game decisions are voted on.

Comment

About democracy game

Oh, I see. Ehehee ... DAMN I'M STUPID!!!
                            - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

I know what a Democracy Game is ( if anyone should, it should be me ).

I am here to learn what this "Call to Power" is and how it's played.

**--Initialising lurk mode---**

Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Well you've come to the right place. But we need to get our die hard ctp players over here to make the discussion lively.

Berxpert came for a few turns and got us going pretty good with his quick building of settlers, mounted archers, and markets.

I have seen many times that the best way to start is to build many cities early. In the long it is just best to have started with more cities every time.

A players prospects in this game depend largely on how much river they can find and settle on. In this game we are reasonably fortunate in that respect.

Comment

Working...
                                X