X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• factions You hate to play and play against

quote:

Originally posted by Kirnwaffen on 12-19-2000 11:15 PM
    All right; we've all heard who everybody loves. Now, who does everybody love to hate . Which factions are the worst to play? To play against?

I like to discuss what Kirnwaffen asked, but I think it
    would be better to do it in a new thread, to I took the freedom to make it.

1. Which factions are the worst to play?
    I think, generally, therer are no "bad" factions, and You can win with every faction, if You have the skill to play them right. But I confess, I don't have the skill yet to play Morgan ;-( . So, in the moment, Morgan is the faction I don't like to play with.
    Surprisingly, some of the factions I hate to play against (i. e. the Hackers and the Cult of planet)
    are better to play than i thought first before I tried them. I think it is a good idea to give every faction a chance, before You say they can't be played good.

2. Which factions are the worst to play against?
    Easy to answer: Morgan and the hackers, because I don't like to be probed. I hate Morgan since he, in one of my first games, bought a freshly conquered base with my best rovers right away under my ass.

The worst to play :
    I agree is Morgan , but i dont like Miriam too ,
    because there is only one tactic available for
    her , attack the other fractions right from the start.
    I have difficulties to play with the Pirat , because
    i dont like to build sea-cities .

Worst to play against :
    My favourit is again Morgan , because he is so weak
    in almost all of the games that there is no challenge
    to fight him (probe times are easily met by team armies, means never to go with one unit alone to a field , you have to watch your border cities though ).

Real hard to play in my opinion (the alliens dont count
    because they have unfair advantages) is Hive . Cant
    be knocked down in the beginning because of citywalls
    and will produce hordes of armies later
    (they have weakened him in Crossfire unfortunately) .

Comment

I hate to play against the pirates simply because they are so incredibly stupid when played by the AI. A simple XNeedleJet will have them on their knees. Svensgaard builds a ton of cities but has no defences for any of them.

------------------
      The Year 2000 - dawn of the Cheery O's

Comment

Hey there

First , Martin, while I agree that Miriam has a huge disposition to be an early attacker, I do not accept that any faction can only be played one way. In SP at least, you can win convincingly even tucked somewhere with no neighbors to attack. Tech is very very slow but I find that that results in well developed and defended bases such that if you can sucessfully probe other factions later, miriam isn't a half-bad hybrid faction.

As for the initial question i don't hate any of the factions but can comment on a couple of things

Miriam -- always seems to hate me and its such a pain taking her tiny underdeveloped bases with so many defenders

Sven-- always seems to ring my continent and take away potential sea resources. The upside is that I can almost always count on taking these cities and giving myself a ring of outer bases to protect the homeland

Aliens--their advantages make them fun to play against and their singlemindedness makes diplomacy simpler

Morgan -- very untrustworthy and usually handles badly in my AI games

In general, almost every game I play now ends up as a battle between my faction (+pactmates and submissives) and one or both alien factions. the AI aliens seem to always munch on the AI human factions.

The opening post is correct. The beauty of this game is that all the factions have their points. Are some stronger or better suited to certain situationsm or playstyles -- OH yea--- but ist so much fun to try them all and play aginst them all. All random factions for me and love 'em or hate 'em you play them all.

Comment

The worst to play is Cheese Dong because I don't see any strategy other than the Worm Rush to play this faction effectively.
          The worst to play against is the Believer. Miriam tends to build dozens worthless bases and lots of puny units. Conquering her takes lots of effort and gains little other than improved security.

Comment

quote:

The worst to play is Cheese Dong

Dang, people. I just read someone's post calling the Cult's leader "gender challenged." Give her(him?) a break

------------------
            The Year 2000 - dawn of the Cheery O's

Comment

well, uhhh, its a "him"

mirium is the stinkiner. she only can momentum, unless you want to spend a very long time trancending(even yang can do it quicker)

i dont really know which faction is the hardest, they all fall so quickly no matter who they are meybe domai because he can get SPs so fast on trancend, and can pop out units even quicker then yang

------------------
              Well, you guys want a PS2? heh heh :strokes console lovingly:

Comment

I don't agree at all with your opinion on Morgan. Until Smacx and the Cybers, it was for me the easiest (and thus also the most boring) to play. But I must also confess that since I tried to play with blind research, I agree that Morgan is much more challenging.

My worst faction is the Hive. I really, really don't know how to start with it. I also loke to play against, because he is for me the most challenging AI opponent.

It is the one I most like to hate... with miriam maybe.
                The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

quote:

well, uhhh, its a "him"

You learn something new every day

Comment

Factions I hate to play as? Cha Dawn comes to mind. I don't care to be Miriam either. I do like Yang, unlike some of the others here.

Factions that I hate to play against? Well, I don't know that I "hate" to play against any of them. A weak enemy makes for a nice boost in power when you capture them, but it makes for a boring game; a strong enemy makes for a more challenging, exciting game (assuming you survive). Of course, against the AI you always get a certain "blandness" in your opponents, due to the limits of the AI's ability.

The faction that always gives me the biggest challenge as an opponent is definitely the Caretakers. The easiest opponent varies from game to game, but it's usually Morgan. Sometimes it's Roze, if she's in.

But the faction leader I hate -- the one I just want to kill so I can make the Planet a better place for all of humanity -- is Miriam. If I ever met someone like her in real life, I'd stay as far away as possible. (Usually the people like her either end up in the headlines of the newspaper (Gunman kills 17 in schoolyard), or in a political office. Or both.)

Comment

quote:

Factions I hate to play as? Cha Dawn comes to mind.

Haven't you been paying attention? It's Cheese Dong around here

Comment

Working...
                      X