X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 encoding

According to my encoder:

128 Kbps is CD quality
    160/192 Kbps is archival quality (for high-end stereos)
    224 to 320 Kbps is archival quality (for highest-end stereos)

Which do you use?
    I have some decent speakers and lots of spare blank CDs, what would you suggest I use?
    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

You have to use at least 224 kbps or you'll noticeably lose sound quality on most songs. 128 kbps is nowhere near CD quality. It is very easy to hear the compression. The track will sound grainy and the treble will often lose a good deal of clarity.

I personally encode everything at 256 kbps. I've got an Audigy 2 hooked up to a pretty decent amp and speakers using 5.1 surround.
    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

I've got an Audigy 2 hooked up to a pretty decent amp and speakers using 5.1 surround.
      Git. Thanks for the tip though.
      I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
      Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

mp3 technology is getting old too, there are better compresion methods around, but I'm sure Asher will get back too you on that
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I´m using 96 Bit for my MP3-Player.

Maybe it means a (barely noticeable) loss of quality, but it also means, that I´m able to get more songs onto my Memory-Card
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by alva
            mp3 technology is getting old too, there are better compresion methods around, but I'm sure Asher will get back too you on that
            Ohh, do tell.
            I was thinking about this noticing the MPEG-1 encoding method. Must be old hat by now.
            Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

128K is pretty much all you need.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I can't really tell the difference between 128 and 192, but I encode my mp3s in 192.

Comment

Originally posted by Graag
                  Ohh, do tell.
                  I was thinking about this noticing the MPEG-1 encoding method. Must be old hat by now.
                  OGG, WMA, MP3Pro, and AAC are all considerably better than MP3, off the top of my head...
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You guys are all crazy. You really can't hear the difference? Low quality mp3's hiss. They sound just plain bad. With over 18 gigs of mp3's and hundreds of CD's I feel that I am qualified to say that EVERYONE should encode at at least 224 kbps. Maybe that way I could get higher quality stuff from Kazaa more easily.
                    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Et voila
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

the problem with 128 is that when you 'extract'(to .cda) and'compress' (to mp3) it too many times, you will start to loose a lot of the ( so called) CD quality.

Same effect as with analog tapes.

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike
                          You guys are all crazy. You really can't hear the difference? Low quality mp3's hiss. They sound just plain bad. With over 18 gigs of mp3's and hundreds of CD's I feel that I am qualified to say that EVERYONE should encode at at least 224 kbps. Maybe that way I could get higher quality stuff from Kazaa more easily.
                          Or even better, get people to ditch MP3 altogether and upgrade to some newer technology.

MP3's been around forever. That's a long time for computer technology.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So what in your opinion is the best one Asher?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

OGG, WMA, MP3Pro, and AAC are all considerably better than MP3, off the top of my head...
                              Which do you use/recommend?
                              Where do I find the requisite encoder?
                              Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Working...
                              X