Blunkett dictates popular culture, assaults freedom of speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunkett dictates popular culture, assaults freedom of speech

He [Blunkett] said those who made music [the companies] which glamorised gun violence would be made aware of "what is and isn't acceptable".
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I think Blunkett is a mad baboon. Now he's telling people what they can and can't say. And there was me thinking we lived in a country that at least had the illusion of freedom.
    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

What I especially got upset about was him calling occasional geniuses "idiots".
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Sometimes people need to recognize posturing for what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
        What I especially got upset about was him calling occasional geniuses "idiots".
        The guy is entitled to his opinion, no matter how stupid, but it makes me very uneasy when home secretaries talk about telling people what is "unacceptable" to say.
        I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
        Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          Sometimes people need to recognize posturing for what it is...
          Agreed it is posturing, he has no intention of actually censoring speech, but those are, IMHO, dangerous words.
          Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

We all know that Blunkett is a little authoritarian, he is strongly in favour of identity cards, telling you what naughty words you can and can't listen to and he wants to control your mind with special chemicals (well alright, I made that bit up, but it could be true ). We all know when Blunkett plays SMAC what social engineering decision he makes after discovering 'The Will To Power'
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yeah, but you expect them to be moralists, not ****ing critics. Let them go through the motions of moral panic, they always do and it results in nothing, but don't have them go around dissin' Rap Music while in their official role, y'hear?

I thought Keith Jowells was being inappropriate already when talking about Conceptual Art.

Comment

oh no, ID cards!!!!

urgh.NSFW

Comment

What's the problem? He's just stated an opinion and said that rappers glamourising gun culture might get mildly scolded.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Government officials shouldn't dictate what's good music and what isn't. I could care less about the gun lyric moral panic, just keep the hands of my bands while in an official role, man.

Comment

he didn't dictate anything.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

David Blunkett has never been one to jump on bandwagons...

Comment

He pours petrol on bandwagons and sets fire to them, laughing in a maniacal manner
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yeah he is led by the Daily Mail and the Sun editorials, which as a Labour minister has always struck me as slightly bizarre.

Comment

He is like Bodds
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X