Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do non-1st language English speakers put a space between their punctuation marks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do non-1st language English speakers put a space between their punctuation marks?

I see a number of people who do not speak english as a 1st language put spaces between the last word and the punctuation mark (often a question mark)

e.g. Why does Apolyton have banana as their abstain option in polls ? Is it because bananas are cool ?

Not saying they speak bad english, just wanted to know if they are taught this specificall or if it's because that's what their native language does.

It is a joke from a really old thread that has just kind of stuck. Do a search and you might still find it.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No... I read e-mails from French with this space/

Comment

h e i s t a l k i n g a b o u t t h e b a n a n a . ! R i g h t ?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

no idea.

is america the only country to use periods instad of commas in numbers?

eg: $1,000 not $1.000
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

All the English speaking countries do. I think it's only certain contential European states which don't.

Comment

next questuion: numbers.

how come places like china/japan use abarbic numerals today? what did they use before?
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

What sick person would put spaces in front of their punctuation ?

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                  is america the only country to use periods instad of commas in numbers?

eg: $1,000 not $1.000
                  Yes, America is the only country to do this.
                  Elsewhere, the dot is used to mark the decimal point, as it does.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I think that is backwards.

Comment

Indeed.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Naw, everyone else is backwards.

Comment

Someone please show us the banana thread!
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Yes, America is the only country to do this.
                            Elsewhere, the dot is used to mark the decimal point, as it does.
                            You probably ment that comma is used to mark the decimal point, no?
                            Brilliant and effective way of curing headache, is to use a gun.
                            "Minulla on outoja unia / miehillä ei ole hampaita" Cmx - Pyörivät sähkökoneet
                            "I have strange dreams / men don't have teeth" Cmx - Spinning Electric Machines

Comment

tag ,

Mein Schwanz ist ein grosse Banane !

danke
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X