Court Case: Executive Veto On Slave Bill Is Illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Case: Executive Veto On Slave Bill Is Illegal

I contend that the recent executive veto of the slave integration bill is ILLEGAL.

If you remove the abstain votes and add in my manual vote, the bill passed by 73%. An executive veto may only be issued if a bill passes by less than 2/3, or 66%.

I ask that the Court rule the recent executive veto null and void, and that the bill stands.

I will look into this over the weekend. I can either do this as a sit alone judge, or as a court case. Let me know skywalker.
    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

I would like whichever will proceed fastest.

Is there any way I can get an injunction on the veto or the turnchat? I ask because otherwise "irreperable harm" could be done if a turnchat is played before the veto is overturned (if it is overturned). If it is not overturned, no such "irreperable harm" will come with an injunction of the chat or the veto.

Comment

Skywalker : there have been 18 YES and 17 NO in this vote. While it is obvious to anyone with common sense such a close competition didn't end up in a landslide 73% victory, here is the mathematic rationale

YES votes / (YES votes + NO votes) = YES proportion

18 / (18+17) = 18 / 35 = 0,514 ; 51,4%

Skywalker : you shouldn't forget there are 17 NO votes, not 7. If you have so much trouble adding 18 and 17, you should go to the start menu, click "run", and type "calc". It will run the windows calculator
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Injunction - no. No significant harm will be done this weekend in playing of 3-5 turns (war time, each turn takes 2-3 hours.) There are no plans to assimilate any significant (I don't think any) number of workers within this time frame. Therefore no injunction is necessary.

Fastest is to just have myself or another judge look into the facts, and not have this as an OFFICIAL court case. As it isn't Official, I cannot force them to act one way or another. However, knowing the people involved, I would say they will do whatever is correct. Also, it can always be made official at a later date if necessary.

This way, just acting solo, I can do a bit of research this weekend, verify what you are saying, and make a determination. It will be resolved quickly.
          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Godking : to quote the constitution :
            (c) By agreement of 3 of the following: President, Vice President, Supreme Military Commander, Foreign Affairs Minister, and/or Domestic Minister; any law or decision by the Senate that does not receive a 2/3rd majority vote (as prescribed in Art. II Sec. 2e) for passage may be vetoed within 72 hours of being passed by the Senate. A vetoed law or decision is no longer valid. It may be proposed again, however, it will only become valid if it is passed by a 2/3rd majority vote.
            The only unconstitutional thing about this veto is that it was publicized about 77 hours after the end of the poll. But Arnelos had to be absent from the Demogame for 2 days for reasons we sadly know , so I don't think it applies on this case.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Spiffor: there are NINETEEN yes. I place one of my manual votes.

You know, the *sigh* thing?

GodKing: Ok, I would like you to first look at it yourself.

Comment

Ah yes, 19 YES. It brings us to the whopping 52,8 % majority. Try harder.

Comment

Wait a second. Never mind.

Sorry all of you.

I did the math in my head, and forgot a ten (ducks head in shame )

I drop the case.

Comment

Good. Case dropped.

Comment

Spiffor, yes arnelos wasn't here, but 3 memebers who did veto the bill were present, thus I claim that the veto is invalid and never took place since it can only take place within 72 hours. I will not press this case but if somebody wants to I won't object, not specifically for this issue but to set precedent.
                      Aggie
                      The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Aggie is right. The Veto should not be vaildated if it really wasn't. I belive a Re-Vote is in order.
                        Petsovernight.com 0.0000001 owner

Ambassador to Legoland on the Lux Invicta Team
                        Member of: Team Lux Invicta (PTW Demo Game)

Comment

If someone decides to resubmit this case, please post a formal request or PM The Court so that a court thread can be made.

--Judge Togas
                          Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                          Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                          Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                          Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Does this require to be irresponsible ? If not, I cant help.
                            Statistical anomaly.
                            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                              Does this require to be irresponsible ? If not, I cant help.

--Togas
                              Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                              Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                              Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                              Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Working...
                              X