Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where I live and have my pub, db stands for Dominion Breweries, and their main brew, DB Draught.

What does it mean in this context?

Cheers

Comment

I suppose it means database
      XBox Live: VovanSim
      xbox.com (login required)
      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
      Spore page

Comment

Oops, double post. Did I mention how messed up the computer system here is? Let me mention it again.
        Last edited by Richard Bruns; January 8, 2003, 05:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Thomas
          Even in a school you should be able to download Mozilla, the open source version of Netscape, and use that.
          Some computers are set up so that it is impossible to install anything or change any settings. Others allow you to install things, but everything you install is erased when the computer restarts or you log off. I've installed an FTP client at lest half a dozen times in order to upload my vacation pictures to my website so my family can see them. The really annoying thing is that the only computers that will connect to my camera are the ones where I can't install anything, so I have to use Yahoo Photos to upload the pictures, then move to another computer, download the pictures manually by right-clicking, and then FTP them from the hard drive to the school server.

Installing a new browser each time I log on would be a huge pain, but it sounds like I will be able to see the site; it just won't look pretty.

Comment

Hi che:

Could you remove the "Win9x/XP" bit on all the demo downloads in the frame at left on the main page? The .jar file works for many OSs, and we don't want to scare non-Win people off. . .

Also on the D7.2 download page, where it says:

"This Demo is for Windows. There are possibilities for most other OSs, let us know if you can't use the Windows version, and if we get enough requests for a given OS we'll try to support it. ",

could you change it to:

"These instructions are for Windows machines. However, the demo can in principle be run on a wide variety of OSs because Java is cross-platform. (You can try running the .jar file and see what happens. Failing that try to find out what users of your OS do to run a "Java 2" program. If you have success with a particular OS please tell us what to do to run it, and we'll include it in the instructions. For Mac OSX just put the jar on the desktop and run it.)"

Thanks!

Mark

PS if anyone has suggested wording changes to make the above more clear, please let us know right here. But once Che updates the file we won't want suggestions anymore.
            Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
            Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Everson
              Hi che: . . .
              Done
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Thanks Che!
                A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Hiya Che:

When I checked out the site I didn't see either of the changes I'd requested. Did you forget to upload the changes or something?

Comment

Thanks for the mods Che!

Originally posted by vovansim in the Clash Overview thread(snip)
                    I was thinking maybe you should consider revising the main page a little bit. On the right-hand column, where it says Key Milestones, maybe you should replace that with just news? After all, if somebody comes to the main page the way it is, they will see that the last 'signinficant' activity was in the middle of last summer, and they might not notice the link to the news section, which has been updated a little over a week ago. I mean if you want the users to see project activity right away, it might be a good idea to do that.
                    Good Point Vovan! The news stuff was there until recently, but Che wanted to move it out IIRC. I agree that its best to have something at most a month old there, and we usually have something new on at least that timescale. Perhaps a few items of news at the top with links to the rest, and then the milestones?

What does everyone think?

Comment

The technolgy write-up on the current web site is horribly out of date. It has things that we changed at least two years ago, and the links all lead to really old threads. The spreadsheet up there is also obsolete.

A new write-up would probably also get out of date fairly quickly. I recommend simply linking to the current thread and not keeping any large amount of text on the site. If we do want text there, it should be replaced with my first two or three posts in the current tech thread.

It would also probably be good to link to my website, which contains things like the online technology and activity editors, and the latest spreadsheets and xml files. I wouldn´t recommend mirroring those files because I change them so frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Everson
                        Hiya Che:

When I checked out the site I didn't see either of the changes I'd requested. Did you forget to upload the changes or something?
                        You may have checked in between the time I made the changes and uploaded them. I was making some other changes at the same time and I prefer to load everything up at once, rather than make several connections. It's a little more efficient time-wise.

Richard, there is a link to your site down near the bottom of the nav bar, Clash Links, Richard Brun's Site.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yes, I found that link after some time. What I meant was to put it in the technology page where the link to the old tech spreadsheets is now.

Comment

As Richard noted, the Military page on the web is WAY out of date.
                            The information there is still very interesting, but, well, quite obsolete. I don't feel like writing a new page, but I think that some small updating like the following message at the top of the page would help:
                            "This page lists most of our goals but the specifics have changed a lot since it's been written. The most current information on military model can be found in this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=40836"?
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Um, you probably already know this, but your web site seems to have disappeared clash.apolyton.net brings you to the main apolyton site...

Comment

Thanks Wombat, at least I was in the dark!

I'll try Markos and Dan and see what they've got to say about it. I expect it's an unexpected result of the latest site changes.

The mirror site is at least fairly up to date in the meantime. The link for the mirror site is in the "FOR AN OVERVIEW. . ." post at the top of the forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X