Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if you have USB 2.0 or 1.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know if you have USB 2.0 or 1.1?

I was wondering, how would you tell which version of USB you have. I just got a Dell, and I doesn't say anything on the port. How do you determine if it does? Are the USB ports different (like that square shape I've been seeing lately?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

If its brand new, its probably 2.0

Comment

That's what I was thinking.

I got it this fall... I was wonder how you could tell for sure though.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I know... thats what I'm trying to figure out now.

I know there's a way to determine the version, I just can't seem to remember how.

What kind of device are you trying to use it for?

Comment

Because if its designed for 2.0, when you plug it into a 1.1 port windows will tell you you've plugged a high speed devide into a non high speed port. Otherwise it should be fine.

It will still work though, just slower (if its not 2.0).

Comment

Oh, I'm not using it right away. I just want to know for the future.

Comment

I would say try going into the bios and looking for any references to USB 1.1 or 2.0.

I'm sure it'll be somewhere in there... just don't mess with any settings

Comment

Go into your Control Panel, then System, then click the Hardware Tab and click Device Manager

Look in the section that says Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

It should have some kind of number and brand, like on this computer right now it says:
                Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442

then google
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thanks Asher... I knew you'd be around soon .

Comment

I'd say call Dell and ask them, but then you might end up with an intern on the phone.
                    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

As long as it isn't Steven, I'm fine with it .

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        As long as it isn't Steven, I'm fine with it .
                        oh how i loathe that steven...
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                        X