Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UTILITY: Civ3MultiTool - Unofficial Civilization 3 editor (third thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gramphos,

Regarding the version I mentioned in my bug report post a few posts back.... I upgraded with the file c3mt0-98-1.zip. Is this the correct version? After the upgrade is when I got the error messages.

Thanks again for any feedback.
    Question Authority.......with mime...

Comment

Anyone else with simmilar problems?
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Hello, i'm new here, and I'm having a problem myself. I have v0.98.1 of the C3MT, running under WinXP, and I'm having a problem that never showed up before. I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling the earlier version I had been using, and the problem still persisted, so I don't know what is going on. I can bring up the savegame editor, and load a savegame file, but when i click on any of the tabs, i get the error message "Stop Statement Encountered", and the program closes. What's really odd is that it works fine with savegame files from several days ago, but the most recent 4 or 5, from the last couple of days, do not. I wondered at first if my latest savegame had become corrupt, but i doubt that the last 4 or 5 files are all corrupt, and, the savegames load and play fine when i start up Civ3 and try to resume them, and just in case, i played for a few minutes and then saved again, and i had problems with that one, as well. Any ideas? Thanks.
        "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of kindness, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo Buscaglia

Comment

It sounds as if you got into some of my debug-code...
          Could you pleace send me one of the saves that gave oyu tihs error?

Comment

Gramphos: Okay, i just sent you my latest savegame via email, which is still causing the error, just like the last few. You should receive it in a few minutes. I hope you can remedy the problem and put up another update. Thanks.
            "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of kindness, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo Buscaglia

Comment

I've found a possibel error.

Try placing the c3mt.dll in your Windows\System32 directory.

There is a stop statement if the function to call the DLL can't be called. I'll change that for the next version.

Comment

Aha! That did it. It now works fine with no error messages. Actually, i kinda wondered if i needed to put the .dll file in my /Windows/system32 directory or somewhere, since I've solved other software problems by finding the right .dll and putting it in the right place before. Anyhow, thanks a lot, i appreciate your help, especially as prompt as it was.

Comment

I need to make a new setup program with the next version.

Comment

Gramphos: use NSIS at http://nsis.sourceforge.net/ . It's a great installer software, uses very easy scripting language. Quite a lot of features, and looks very professional. Created by people from WinAmp, and it's now open source. I'm using it for the World 2003 Scenario.

The executable is massive for such a small utility, you may want to compress it with http://upx.sourceforge.net

Made in VB5?

Why didn't you program C3MT in Java? That way it would run on MacOS, Linux and Windows.

Thanks for making this. It doesn't work at all for me (editing ptw1.14f saved games), but it's cool to have it
                    Last edited by maciek; March 8, 2003, 02:09.
                    Military Research and Simulations Initiative

Comment

I currently have a good installer software, it's just that I don't have the time to make a package for every version of the program I release.

The reson why I choosed to make the program in VB is that it's a langue which you quite quickly can get some results out of. However I admit that using C++ would probably have been a better solution by the size this project has reached, and I'm sure I could have done it, it just would have taken a lot longer, and right now I have no plans to try to fix something that isn't broke. Java could also be good for different platform usage as you say. However is my knowledge of Java is currently not good enough do develop any thing as advance as this tool in it. And in my current state I don't have the ability to learn a new programming language due to time concerns.

Comment

The map converter interface is now ready...

Still need an icon thou...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh, and before I release any non beta version of this tool I'll have to unhardcode a few strings I didn't have time to put in the textfile during the programming.

Comment

Qoute:

"I currently have a good installer software, it's just that I don't have the time to make a package for every version of the program I release."

What do you mean? With NSIS for example, you just right click on the install script and click Compile (NSIS is registering its actions with Windows shell). That's all. Of course, it's not going to MAKE the software itself.

Can you tell me what install software you use? I'd like to try it out for my software.

I agree, VB is very good for RAD, but as the application is getting more complex, the disadvantages start to come out. BTW, Java is easier to learn than VB I think Well, just my personal opinion.

If you have any plans to release the source code (make it open source for example), I'm sure there would be a lot of people who would like to port it to Java, or even .NET.

Can you at least try to port it to VB.NET (I mean in the future, I'm sure you already have enough to do)? That way, it will be possible to run it on other platforms, as .NET is ported to Linux, MacOS, BSD, etc. You'll probably need to change about 10-20% of the code, because VB.NET is slightly different (improved).

From what I know, the .NET runtime for Windows is available for free, same as C# compiler. I'm not sure about VB.NET compiler though, it's pobably only available with visual studio.net.

Just my suggestion, no need to reply.

Comment

The Installer software I use is Samlogic Visual Installer

Comment

Its a pity that the "Demoversioner" is in Svensk only...

Comment

Working...
                                X