No announcement yet.

What if the American Revolution failed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if the American Revolution failed?

I'm curious what people think would have been the end result if the British managed to quash the rebellion in the American colonies. Would the US still exist exactly as it does today, but with a slightly later start date following another revolution? Would the US look more like Canada in being a parliamentary democracy with a peaceful separation from Britain? Is there any likelihood that more than one country would have emerged out of the original colonies? Maybe Canada would look different, what with possible changes to British colonial boundaries. How about the prospect of other country's colonies (Spain, France) in North America? Any other ideas?
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Done it again.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      Done it again.
      and again if necessary
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

We would all be living in a worker's paradise right now.

Heh, heh, merely joshing, just a bit of Commie humor for you all. If it failed eventually we would have been annexed by Canada.
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Done it again.
          And this time taking Canada.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Annexed by Canada. Thanks. Thanks a lot.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Had France not decided to help the good ol' UA? The world would be a much better place today
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

im really tired of alternate history. what if? what if?

there are endless outcomes for any situation...

Comment

I would restart Colonization and try again, mabe with a different mother country.
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Ahhh but there's always one constant. The anti-american trolls. Wouldn't be the same without 'em.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

It would have indeed happened later, but then hopefully the US wouldn't have become such an overly massive, isolated and powerful country so soon. Who knows?
                      DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
                        there are endless outcomes for any situation...
                        Right.

A lot would depend upon what point the rebellion failed. What would have happened if the British had captured Sam Adams and John Hancock in 1775 at Concord? The chances would have then been much greater for resurrecting the rebellion than if Washington's army had been defeated in detail at New York. Still later, a British victory after the French had intervened would have doomed any future American rebellion. It was that intervention by the French that bankrupted their country and led directly to the French Revolution.

What if, after the rebellion failed, King George and Lord North had started recognizing the colonlists' Rights of Englishmen? Then, there would have been enough political tender to re-kindle a second rebellion.

Comment

they would have revolted again at a later time, during the napoleanic wars.

Comment

Yea. Napoleonic wars was the time to revolt for most of the Americas.

we wouldn't let those british bastards rule us forever.
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

The UK would eventually move its capitol to New York (or Philidelphia, etc.).
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X