New Web Design Proposals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Web Design Proposals.

I need you folks to look over the two design proposals and decide if you prefer one or the other or neither.

Design 1 (Design 2 is below)
    Attached Files
    I like Design 1 best
    74.29%
    I like Design 2 best
    11.43%
    I don't think either is the way to go
    11.43%
    I like designs with bananas in them.
    2.86%
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Design 2

Number 2
    Attached Files
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

both look great, but number 2 looks a little better and more proffesional

Comment

Must resist urge to whine, "What's wrong with number 1?"

Comment

Hi to jdd2007, welcome to Clash!

Hi Che:

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Must resist urge to whine, "What's wrong with number 1?"
          Thank Goodness you resisted!

I like #1 better, giving you a chance for a counter-whine. . . but I may just vote for the bananas to be unpredictable.

But seriously, I like pretty much everything about #1. My one issue is that a lot of screen real-estate is dedicated to the image at left. It makes a Great first impression, but after the 20th time it might get old.

#2 is good in that it has a bit more screen dedicated to the real stuff. I also like the strip of thumbnails at the top. I think it'd be especially good if the thumbnails could be associated with the menu items in some contextual way, like "downloads" could show a computer, etc. Not sure if this latter is really a good idea, but in the spirit of brainstorming I thought I'd throw it out.

Thanks for doing them, I can tell already you're going to end up with something really great!
          Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
          Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

I prefer Design1 to Design2 because of the follwing in design2:
            The buttons to the right are hard to read. The right of them is shaded, making it hard to read. I cannot focus on that part of the page.
            I also don't understand at first glance what the little images mean. Are they here to be pretty or will I have to move my mouse and try to hover on top of them in order to uncover their mysterious purpose?
            Last I don't like the blue colour much. It's a bit too saturated for my taste.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

How about topping this Mark?

Comment

Well, it's been almost two weeks, only six folks have voted. I'd like to start on the redesign ASAP. Should we simply accept the trend, or should I email everyone on the staff list and make them vote first?

Comment

Hi che:

If you're comfortable with the flow from the voting, I'd say go with it. We are at a fairly low ebb in terms of participation, and that's just what we're stuck with.

Glad to hear you've a chance to get going on it, I'm looking forward to it! Perhaps you should briefly respond to peoples' comments so we know what you're thinking is on the issues that have been raised.

Cya,

Mark
                  A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Accept the trend, it was going in my direction .
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Everson
                      Perhaps you should briefly respond to peoples' comments

Okee dokee

But seriously, I like pretty much everything about #1. My one issue is that a lot of screen real-estate is dedicated to the image at left. It makes a Great first impression, but after the 20th time it might get old.

I'm thinking that the image and area below it would be part of the text area, so that the whole thing is scrollable. The text will wrap around the bottom edge of the image/"pull-quote". The size of the image and "pull-quote" box can be fiddled with to get closer to the sweet-spot (twelve words or sixty characters).

I wouldn't want to have the entire are filled with text in any event. Text is actually easier to read in smaller columns, and electronic text needs all the help it can get.

#2 is good in that it has a bit more screen dedicated to the real stuff. I also like the strip of thumbnails at the top. I think it'd be especially good if the thumbnails could be associated with the menu items in some contextual way, like "downloads" could show a computer, etc.

It's only accidental that the images on top match the number of buttons. They are simply for design purposes. They illustrate various cultures and also move forward in time (there was an image of the Abe Lincoln Memorial but it didn't fit). The design is kind of a flash/Japanese ultra-modern. The idea is to say that we're pushing the edge. After all--you're trying to create a powerful ai, which is something most game companies seem to have ignored.
                      Last edited by chequita guevara; January 1, 2003, 23:01.

Comment

Hi che, thanks for the responses. I think I agree with your comments on #1, but I don't know what a "pull-quote" is. Guess you're right about blocks-o-text needing to be thinner. Advantages of having a pro who knows this stuff!

[SIZE=1] Originally posted by chegitz guevara I'm It's only accidental that the images on top match the number of buttons. They are simply for design purposes. They illustrate various cultures and also move forward in time (there was an image of the Abe Lincoln Memorial but it didn't fit). The design is kind of a flash/Japanese ultra-modern. The idea is to say that we're pushing the edge. After all--you're trying to create a powerful ai, which is something most game companies seem to have ignored.
                        I knew you were just using them as thematic art. Just was throwing out an idea. I do like your concept though. Do you think it would work reasonably with version #1?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Everson
                          Hi che, thanks for the responses. I think I agree with your comments on #1, but I don't know what a "pull-quote" is. Guess you're right about blocks-o-text needing to be thinner. Advantages of having a pro who knows this stuff!

Pull-quotes are blocks of text pulled from the main body which call attention to the story. I'm specifically refering to the "downloads" box, which, technically, isn't a pull quote.

I knew you were just using them as thematic art. Just was throwing out an idea. I do like your concept though. Do you think it would work reasonably with version #1?

It might be possible if they were squared off, but it would take more real estate on the page. Let me look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

It might be possible if they were squared off, but it would take more real estate on the page. Let me look into it.
                            Thanks! I just thought it would look cool, like it did in #2. Be good to see if it can be made to work.

Comment

Record me as preferring #1.

Cheers

Gary Thomas

Comment

Working...
                              X