Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball Offseason Wheeling and Dealing (Apolyton Sports Bar II)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Offseason Wheeling and Dealing (Apolyton Sports Bar II)

CLIFF FLOYD SIGNS WITH THE METS

The New York Mets have added a big bat to go with their upgraded pitching staff, agreeing in principle to a multiyear contract with outfielder Cliff Floyd on Friday.

MILLWOOD TRADED TO PHILLIES (FOR ESTRADA)

The Philadelphia Phillies acquired right-hander Kevin Millwood from the Atlanta Braves for catcher Johnny Estrada on Friday.

The NL East sure is shooken up. The Mets add Glavine, Stanton, and Floyd and get rid of Alfonso, and JUST signed a Japanese 3b who is their HR king (Nakimura).

The Braves have a totally different rotation, with only Maddux staying. Millwood was dealt because of the luxury tax, btw.

The Phillies have Thome and now Millwood.

--

Also, the YANKS SIGN 'GODZILLA'.

Yanks signed Japanese 'godzilla' Matsui!

Should be a Hell of an interesting year, eh?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Furthermore:

Estes signed with the Cubs and back with Dusty Baker.

I-Rod is threatening to PLAY IN JAPAN if he doesn't get a decent deal from the Cubs or Orioles (his biggest suitors). Personally I think it is a bargaining tool and BS.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Philly fans sit in shock of their good fortune. Rumors abound in Philly that Millwood must be damaged goods because no one in their right mind would normally do the deal (one that Phillies deal John Estrada a no name catcher for a premier what should be #1 pitcher). Braves seem to have painted themselves into a corner by allowing Maddux to go to arbitration thus necesitating the move to get rid of Millwood (arguably their best pitcher last season).

Now the question is if the Braves really had to get rid of Millwood why didn't they wait a bit and shop him around or even better still why did they bother to trade him to a division rival?

Something doesn't feel right about this deal as the Braves have in years past have been smart. I don't buy into Millwood being damaged goods but their has to be something more to this story.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

OGIE! Just the person I want to see, so I don't have to talk sports in the corner by myself .

==

And yeah... something really wierd. I think that perhaps there is something wrong with Javy Lopez. Some sort of really, really bad injury. But trading Millwood in the division? That doesn't seem totally right. Of course, we have to remember that before last year, Millwood blew goats and had only one good season (1999).

I guess we can't discount the cutting payroll excuse either, but I agree, better deals out there, and you don't trade inside your division! Especially to teams gaining on you!

Comment

Imran: Should I be bold and predict the Subway Series now, or should I wait until May this time?
          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Meanwhile, Ivan Rodriquez remains unsigned by new courters.
            C'mon home Pudge.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Go ahead Reismark... cause it won't happen again .

Comment

I've gotten so frustrated with baseball, I don't follow it nearly as much as I used to. There desperately needs to be a salary cap or something equivalent. I have followed the Montreal Expos ever since I was but a wee lad, and it's just too sad to watch them anymore. If only there was a more level playing field, they'd kick ass. Best eyes for talent in the game.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Well, they used to. Now totally different management, and management will change again when they are sold and moved.

But, yes... baseball needs substantial revenue sharing, at the least, and then a salary cap & floor.

Comment

That, and they need Jeff Loria to be taken out behind the stadium in Miami and shot.

In case you're interested, someone figured out how the Expos would have done if there were no fire sale after 1994's strike. The URL is here. They win the wild card three out of the next five years in that scenario, IIRC (been a while since I read it).

Is it too early for me to predict another Bosox-Cubbies matchup in the Series?
                    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Interesting analysis. Of course, there must be a disclaimer that some players (*cough* Larry Walker) might not have had as good seasons for the Expos. But I do think the Expos would have been a good team if they had the money.

Comment

The spos would have been great if they could hold talent.

The hotstove league is heating up, Clemens says an "unamed" team offered him 12 million for one year, the Yanks said good luck, but he's still unsigned.

I doubt the trade between NY and Montreal will happen, the Expos asked for too much (Johnson, Rivera{OF},Hernandez, and the Yanks must pay ALL of el duke's salery!)

The hot rumor is the Yanks are close on that Cuban Righthander, Contreas (sp?), something like that.
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Clemens says an "unamed" team offered him 12 million for one year

Unnamed indeed .

The hot rumor is the Yanks are close on that Cuban Righthander, Contreas (sp?), something like that.

Contreas' Free Agency bid fell through. He's going in the draft now.

Comment

Did it?

I got that rumor from the post this afternoon.

I guess it's back to Vaquez/Colon then.

Clemens ripped Steiny's backside to a tune of 10.5 million in his buyout, and he's got the gall to ask for ANOTHER 11 million?
                            That guy is one greedy dude.

I'm still against the cap, and against revenue sharring UNLESS the shared money goes into salary, not the cheapo owner's pockets.
                            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Ah, I just found out what happened. Contreas's bid fell through and he was going in the draft, when at the final second, they found residence in Nicaragua, allowing him to be a Free Agent. Ah, agents .

And the Yanks have pushed back talks with Contreas' until next Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X