XP Themes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Themes

Since I installed XP I have been looking for a place to DL one of those nifty XP themes that I have seen pictures of (they seem to look a lot better then then old 9x/NT themes). Can anyone tell me where a good place to find them is? I found this site called ThemeXP (or somthing like that) but I can't get that site to send me a password

Thanks
    " Conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism." - Emma Goldman

William Seward Burroughs
    February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.

I got the ones I use from ThemeXP before their site seems to have died. My favorite is ChromeXP2, but I've been using it for awhile now and wouldn't mind getting something new.

Comment

I've just switched to XP (ok, I'm win98 at the moment to release my ip addy so XP can use it, and visitting 'Poly while I'm at it), so I would be interested in some decent themes too.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Themes waste cpu processing power and memory.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

On XP you're using themes no matter what, so what's the problem?

Even the "Windows Classic" look on Windows XP is merely a theme in the same way the fischer-price look on WinXP is, and any third party ones you download...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.asp?library=8

ThemeXP isn't here, WindowBlinds, CursorXP, LogonStudio are... among other things. (great overall site)

http://mozilla.deskmod.com/?show=sho...t_name=stylexp

StyleXP can be found here. It's probably the best one I've tried, and is easy to customize the themes. PlasticTube is really cool (especially with some customization).

Comment

The skin programs are more memory intensive than regular themes and load slower. StyleXP uses the same theme structure XP is already using and so isn't any different than using the default XP themes from a performance standpoint.

Comment

Actually if you set your comp to "full performance" mode, it ends up with less features than win98, and less performance waste. Of course, its ugly as hell.

Thanks for the links, Aeson.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

So would I have to download and install a third-party soft in order to be able to use third-party themes? I'd like to be able to load them directly using the Themes tab in Display Properties, but I'm guessing that this is not possible. Is it?
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

StyleXP software hacks into the basic XP functionality, so you change themes in the same way (for the most part). You can do the file editing yourself, or just let the software do it for you. For whatever reason (almost assuredly $$$), Gates & co. decided to not allow users to use their own themes, and so you have to bypass some built in protection just to load third party themes, even though they use the same formatting.

Comment

It is possible. There's some way to do something with a patch that lets you select themes from the display panel. I think you'll want to look for something called uxthemepatcher.

Comment

Working...
                      X