Non-Scrolling Backgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Scrolling Backgrounds

I just noticed that most of Apolyton is using a non-scrolling background. IMHO, that is a terrible design decision.

Non-scrolling backgrounds throw themselves at the reader's eyes the minute someone begins scrolling. Traditionally, pressing on a scroll-bar resulted in everything in the window scrolling. I can't think of any application with non-scrolling backgrounds other than modern web browsers.

Uh, have I mentioned that I don't like non-scrolling backgrounds? Yes? Just checking. I don't like non-scrolling backgrounds.
    Yes
    20.00%
    No, you've gone bonkers.
    75.00%
    CowboyNeal Has No Opinion
    5.00%
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

I like it.

Comment

Re: Non-Scrolling Backgrounds

Originally posted by St Leo
      I just noticed that most of Apolyton is using a non-scrolling background. IMHO, that is a terrible design decision.

Non-scrolling backgrounds throw themselves at the reader's eyes the minute someone begins scrolling. Traditionally, pressing on a scroll-bar resulted in everything in the window scrolling. I can't think of any application with non-scrolling backgrounds other than modern web browsers.

Uh, have I mentioned that I don't like non-scrolling backgrounds? Yes? Just checking. I don't like non-scrolling backgrounds.
      We've been using the non-scrolling background since the site's inception, St. Leo.

In any event, love it or hate it: it's not going to be leaving anytime soon.

------------
      Dan; Apolyton CS
      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Can't say it bothers me too much.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Never bothered me
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Is this supposed to be bothering me? I guess not as it's not a problem for me.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I don't even understand what a non scrolling background is so I guess I don't care.
              (+1)

Comment

I dont see what's the problem.

Besides, at least on the front page the background is mostly white, so it doesnt really matter.
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

No problems here.
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I voted no.

Comment

yes i absolutely cant stand those damn nonscrolling backgrounds. obnoxious eyesores, im NEVER RETURNING TO APOLYTON EVER>>>>>>>>WHY WOULD ANYONE EVEN THINK ABOUT PUTTING THEM THERE???????

actually no, they dont bother me

Comment

actually it's the scrolling backround that kills me.

Comment

Non scrolling backgrounds are annoying if they detract the eye from the content. Apolyton's don't, so they aren't.
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

It doesn't bother me, but unlike you I did notice it the first time I come to Poly, and then I liked it.
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I don't even understand what a non scrolling background is so I guess I don't care.

When you scroll, a non-scrolling background stays in one place while the rest of the text and images move over it. Netscape didn't have it, Opera only got it in version 6, and I haven't visited Apolyton's homepage regularly since the time that I was using Opera 4.

It won't really bother me now (in the Opera 7 beta) because I still have no reason to visit Apolyton's content pages and I can just turn off images/CSS when I do. I was just concerned that other people who did might not be speaking up about this.

actually it's the scrolling backround that kills me.

You are mad, mad I tells ye.
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X