Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No.. I understand. I would like to see TWO tries by both teams before a coin flip is used. Let the home team kick off the first time. If both teams score a touchdown... field goal... or nothing, do it again. If they are still tied, then use a coin flip and go to sudden death.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ugh, I'd hate that system.

Do it like a real game, have a coin flip. The team that wins decides kick, and then both teams have at least one go and if still tied then they keep playing, sudden death.

No OT part 1 and OT part 2.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't see why the NFL couldn't go to a modified college overtime, played in the standard NFL way, only with each team getting an equal number of possessions. Just think of them as extra innings.

Anyway, the following teams have qualified for the First Annual Guynemer's Gamecube NCAA Football Championship Tournament, of GGNCAAFCT for short.

Florida State, ACC Champions
        Miami, Big East Champions
        Ohio State, Big Ten Champions
        Texas Christian, Conference USA Champions
        Colorado State, Mountain West Champions
        North Texas, Sun Belt Champions
        Boise State, WAC Champions

Four conference championships are still up-for-grabs, to be decided this afternoon:
        Big Twelve (Colorado vs. Oklahoma)
        MAC (Marshall vs. Toledo)
        SEC (Georgia vs. Arkansas)
        Pac Ten (UCLA vs. Washington State, with USC becoming champions with a UCLA win, Wazzou if they beat the Bruins)

The following teams have qualified for wild-card "consideration", having nine wins against Div I-A teams:

ACC--Maryland (NC State beat two non-Div I-A schools en route to a 10 win season)

Big 12--Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas (See NC State re: Kansas State)

Big East--Virginia Tech (West Virginia beat one non-Div I-A school en route to a 9 win season)

Big Ten--Iowa, Michigan, Penn State

Conference USA--nobody

Independents--Notre Dame (Southern Florida beat two non-Div I-A schools en route to a 9 win season)

MAC--nobody (Marshall, Toledo, and Bowling Green--see West Virginia)

Mountain West--nobody

Pac-10--USC (If Wazzou beats UCLA, they are conference champs; if they lose, USC is conference champs, and Wazzou does not qualify for wild-card consideration for the same reason as West Virginia and the MAC teams)

SEC--Georgia, Arkansas (Alabama does not qualify due to NCAA sanctions; however, victories against 'Bama will count as wins against other wild-card contenders)

Sun Belt--nobody

WAC--Hawaii (IF they win tonight; otherwise, see West Virginia, MAC teams, Wazzou...)

So, to sum up, these are the potential wild cards:
        Maryland, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, Virginia Tech, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, Georgia, Arkansas, USC, Hawaii. The wild card slot will go to the team with the most victories against conference champions and other potential wild cards (and Alabama).

Right now, before today's games, it stands thus:
        Maryland--0
        Oklahoma--3 (Alabama, Colorado, Texas; takes Big 12 Championship and automatic berth with another victory over Colrado today.)
        Colorado--0 (Takes Big 12 Championship and automatic berth with victory over Oklahoma today.)
        Texas--1 (North Texas)
        Virginia Tech--currently 0, potentially 1 or 2 (Pending game vs. Miami today, and MAC Championship, having beat Marshall.)
        Iowa--2 (Michigan, Penn State)
        Michigan--1 (Penn State)
        Penn State--0
        Notre Dame--3 (Maryland, Michigan, Florida State)
        USC--2 (Colorado, Notre Dame)
        Georgia--1 (Alabama; takes SEC berth with victory over Arkansas today.)
        Arkansas--1 (Boise State; takes SEC berth with victory over Georgia today.)
        Hawaii--0

So it comes to this: if Oklahoma beats Colorado today, Oklahoma is Big 12 Champ and Notre Dame is the wild card. However, if Colorado wins today, Oklahoma and Notre Dame both have three victories against the best of the best. So, we go to victories against teams with at least 8 Div I-A wins...

Oklahoma--4 ('Bama, Texas, Colorado, Texas Tech--Southern Florida only had 7 Div I-A wins)
        Notre Dame--5 (Maryland, Michigan, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Air Force)

No matter what happens today, Notre Dame has clinched the wild card.

One last summary-----------------------------------
        These are the twelve teams in the GGNCAAFCT:

Florida State
        Miami
        Ohio State
        TCU
        Colorado State
        North Texas
        Boise State
        Notre Dame (wildcard)
        Winner of Colorado vs. Oklahoma
        Winner of Marshall vs. Toledo
        Winner of Georgia vs. Arkansas
        Washington State if they beat UCLA; if not, USC

Seeding will be based on average of final poll ranking. Early prediction: North Texas will be #12.

First round games will be at the Outback Bowl, Liberty Bowl, Holiday Bowl, and the Alamo Bowl. Second round games will be at the Rose Bowl (hosting the #1 team), CapitalOne Bowl, Gator Bowl, and the Cotton Bowl. The Orange and Sugar Bowls are the semifinals; the championship is the Fiesta Bowl.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

mmmmmkay.......

Comment

Hey, I like the format .

At least this is here and not in the other thread infected by BCS apologists .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Ahhh, Imran. You are living proof that some Republicans actually do have brains.

Go North Texas! :P

Comment

Same to you with respect to leftists having brains .

Though I doubt North Texas will beat Miami in the first game (I assume the Hurricane will be ranked #1) .

Comment

Sorry, Guy, but I see some flaws in your system too. Critics would howl at you for including a Notre Dame team that some would think was a bit overrated and excluding a USC team (WSU beat UCLA today) that not only destroyed ND but had the same record as ND against a tougher schedule.

Try expanding the pool to sixteen teams and getting some of those other deserving wild-card entrants in (like USC and an *extremely* underrated Iowa squad) and trash those sissy byes.
                    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• Well, the Dogs won convincingly, so that prayer was answered, but Miami also won (not so convincingly though - I'm predicting OSU is gonna take 'em) so Georgia is left for playing for #2. Not too shabby, and a quality end to the season, but if we could just have the Florida game back. Hell, if we could get that damned personal foul back!

Man, I'd rather have USC then Florida State. We'd have a better shot against FSU, but I want the better team. Here's hoping!!! :fingerscrossed: On the other hand, USC-OK isn't a shabby game either.

Maddux, Kent, and Clemens were offered arbitration today, along with Chuck Finley, who is notable for having married Tawny Kitean.

Though she's kind of nasty nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by reismark
                        Sorry, Guy, but I see some flaws in your system too. Critics would howl at you for including a Notre Dame team that some would think was a bit overrated and excluding a USC team (WSU beat UCLA today) that not only destroyed ND but had the same record as ND against a tougher schedule.

Try expanding the pool to sixteen teams and getting some of those other deserving wild-card entrants in (like USC and an *extremely* underrated Iowa squad) and trash those sissy byes.
                        Well, rather than carry on the same argument in two separate threads, I'll refer you to the BCS thread. Suffice it to say that I hate the idea of wild cards; the only reason I have even one in this system is because there are independants. I also hate the idea of arbitrary judgments, polls, and computer rankings deciding anything of import; thus, I look at wins against top-flight competition, and Notre Dame has more of those than anyone else, whether you or I like it or not (and, believe you me, I don't).

But, I suppose I'm not completely against the idea of four more wildcards, as long as I'm forced to have the one as it is. That would bring in Iowa and USC, and leave the other two slots for Texas, Michigan, Virginia Tech, or Arkansas. Too tired and lazy to figure out who'd win the tiebreaker in that one right now; if they were to get one of those slots, Texas ought to thank their lucky stars that North Texas won the Sun Belt.

Comment

• For those 'traditionalists' backing the BCS.... there is a BIG chance that the Rose Bowl WILL NOT have Pac 10 vs. the Big 10. If you are going to have bowl games, this is inexcusable!

Another black mark for the B(C)S.

Comment

• Who cares about the Rose Bowl? To me, the Rose Bowl has been that game with those two conferences I can't be arsed to learn about.

My wife and I were discussing yesterday and she wanted to know what were the four "big" New Years Day bowl games that existed long before this BCS ruined that system. I came up with Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Cotton, but I'm having doubts as to whether that is correct. I could look it up, but why, when I can ask such a learned group as this bunch?

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              For those 'traditionalists' backing the BCS.... there is a BIG chance that the Rose Bowl WILL NOT have Pac 10 vs. the Big 10. If you are going to have bowl games, this is inexcusable!

Another black mark for the B(C)S.
                              Imran, supporting the BCS is not a traditionalist belief.

Go Falcons!!!!!!!!!! May you be Vicktorious today against Tampa Bay!

Comment

• So, who should win the Heisman? Who will win the Heisman?

Should: Byron Leftwich, Marshall.
                                Will: Larry Johnson, Penn St.
                                #2: Carson Palmer, USC.

Comment

Working...
                                X