Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

I figured it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to discussing sports in the US. A lot of stuff gets undiscussed because there isn't enough for just a thread.

Anyway, I was watching Around the Horn and PTI on ESPN, and the NFL is discussing changing it's overtime format. One suggestion is the college football overtime (give it to each team at the 30 allowing them a chance to score). Another one was advanced by Tony Kornheiser of PTI. Give each team at least one possession and then (if tied) make it sudden death after that.

I prefer the second suggestion. Each team should at least have one possession. Games shouldn't be decided by a coin flip.

Second on the agenda. It is being reported that Glavine is close to signing with the Mets. Will the addition of Glavine (which itself is wierd, seeing the Braves-Mets animosity) be enough to right the Mets ship?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Actually Glavine JUST signed with the Mets.

Free-agent pitcher Tom Glavine was a surprise guest of the Braves in Atlanta, the same day the Mets made another proposal to Glavine's agent, The New York Times reported in Wednesday's editions.

What does this mean for the NL East?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I agree with you the 2nd option being better.

Basketball related, how about those Dallas Mavericks?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

They seem to be good early on. Can it last?

Going with baseball (again ), what do the Rangers plan on doing to get out of the celler? Or are you an Astros fan?

Comment

I'm a Ranger fan, and I have no idea what they're doing.
          I'm up to speed with management though.
          Let's see, Pudge is about to go. They'll probably run Palmeiro off for the 2nd time. Trade whatever excellent young pitching prospects they have. Bring back the guys they traded previously, and are now my age.
          Let's see, what else are they in the habit of doing....
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

In Cincinnati, there are rumors that Griffey might be traded to Sand Diego. What do you think about this? Its too bad that he loves our crappy city so much, but he plays so badly for the Reds. He needs to be traded, for the good of the team.

Comment

Re: American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              I figured it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to discussing sports in the US. A lot of stuff gets undiscussed because there isn't enough for just a thread.

Anyway, I was watching Around the Horn and PTI on ESPN, and the NFL is discussing changing it's overtime format. One suggestion is the college football overtime (give it to each team at the 30 allowing them a chance to score). Another one was advanced by Tony Kornheiser of PTI. Give each team at least one possession and then (if tied) make it sudden death after that.

I prefer the second suggestion. Each team should at least have one possession. Games shouldn't be decided by a coin flip.

Second on the agenda. It is being reported that Glavine is close to signing with the Mets. Will the addition of Glavine (which itself is wierd, seeing the Braves-Mets animosity) be enough to right the Mets ship?
              1. College overtime.

2. Glavine will have his worst season ever.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
                In Cincinnati, there are rumors that Griffey might be traded to Sand Diego. What do you think about this? Its too bad that he loves our crappy city so much, but he plays so badly for the Reds. He needs to be traded, for the good of the team.
                If he doesn't have a no-trade clause, I'd be suprised.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I've heard that the Reds "don't do" no-trade clauses.

Apparently Nevin nixed the deal for personal reasons.

Poor Grif, I had a poster of him on my wall as a kid. Granted, he does bring a lot of it on himself with his media relations...just needs to stay healthy.

Comment

I like the college overtime, but think they should start at the 40--i.e., outside of field goal range.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      I like the college overtime, but think they should start at the 40--i.e., outside of field goal range.
                      I agree, the 40 would help things out.

I wasn't at the Ole Miss-Arkansas game that went the 7 ots last year, but my fiance was (she was the baton twirler in the OM band) and evidently it was excrutiating for all involved, from the fans to the players. Whereas I watched comfortably from my sofa.

Increasing the length would make things more interesting and hopefully prevent such long games, the 7 ot or the 6 ot Tenn-Ark game from this year.

Plus, its more strategic, have to get that 1st 1st down for fieldgoal range. More fun, I would say.

Comment

I guess what they're trying to avoid w/the 20 yard line is people always going for the field goal.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          If it was the 40... lets say Detroit and Chicago finish at a tie after 4 quarters. The overtime period could last several hours

That sort of thing is avoided with the 25 yd line start. Makes for a shorter OT, perhaps? Then again, a 42 yd FG is less of a gimme in college than it is in the pros.
                          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

college overtime sucks.

I really don't want to change it, but because there are problems this year I say that each team should have their offense (or special teams-returning) touch the ball once. So if someone scores that other team can get a chance to score with either a kickoff return or with their offense. But only once. After each teams offense/return team touches the ball regular sudden death rules apply.

Comment

In Cincinnati, there are rumors that Griffey might be traded to Sand Diego.

Yeah, the rumored deal was for Nevin, which would be a steal for the Reds and a 'what are you thinking' for the Padres.

--

The college overtime is good, but there is a (valid) arguement that it isn't 'real' football. A better system is having the team march down the field. And then give the other team a chance to do the same.

2. Glavine will have his worst season ever.

Any reason for that assertion?

Comment

Working...
                              X