Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ming
    Maybe if Miami and OSU had played a schedule as tough as theirs, they would have lost a game too
    maybe if the Big Ten refs hadn't gifted that overtime victory to OSU Illinois would be in a bowl and OSU would ranked lower

Comment

• What do you all think?

Report: Rose, Selig Discuss Reinstatement
      19 minutes ago

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - Pete Rose met baseball commissioner Bud Selig two weeks ago to discuss his possible reinstatement to the game, ESPN's Web site reported Tuesday.

The issue of whether Rose will be reinstated or regain eligibility for Hall of Fame induction had not been determined, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com.

The meeting came 13 years after Rose, then manager of the Cincinnati Reds (news), agreed to a lifetime ban from baseball following an investigation into his gambling.

"There have been a number of stories reporting alleged conversations or meetings between commissioner Selig and Pete Rose," Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, said in a statement Tuesday.

"Pete Rose applied for reinstatement to commissioner Selig several years ago and that application has been pending since that time. Given the pendency of the application for reinstatement, neither the commissioner or anyone in our office will comment on the Pete Rose matter further."

Rose, baseball's career hits leader and a lock for the Hall of Fame had he not been banned from baseball, applied for reinstatement in 1997.

However, Selig refused to rule on the matter, saying he had not seen any evidence that would make him alter the lifetime ban.

Selig is expected to insist that Rose admits he bet on baseball -- something he has never done -- before he would be reinstated.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• keep the lifetime ban. Rose may have been great, but they had to make an example of him

Comment

• I don't have a problem with him betting on baseball in general, but betting on a game he was in would be quite a stretch.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• The problem as I see it was he was supposedly gambling when a manager.

He should be recognized as a player for his accomplishments. He never bet on baseball as a player AFAIK. Aftrer induction as a player he should then be summarily banned again for his betting whilst a manager.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• That makes no sense, if I understand you.
              Ban, unban, then ban again ? Is that what you're saying?
              And what difference does his position make, as far as making bets ?
              I'm just trying to understand. In this you're saying ok to bet as player, not as manager?

Comment

• He should be in the Hall of Fame. The HoF is about baseball ACHIEVEMENT! It isn't about who is a nice guy. Hell, TY COBB is in there!

Get him in the HoF, but prevent him from getting a job in baseball.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I still don't understand, Imran.
                  In football, Kramer and Hornung of the Packers got a season's ban. I think it was a season. Certainly not more.
                  Why have Rose drawn and quartered?

Comment

• Well because he gambled on games while manager. I don't think I'd trust someone like that to run my team.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• But what does it matter? If he's not betting on his own team's game?

Comment

• Um... he was Slow. He was betting on the Reds while managing them.

Comment

• OK. I never saw that he had been known to do that.
                          If that's so, then yeah, that would be about stupid.

Comment

• As long as he wasn't betting on his team to lose, than frankly, I don't give a damn. Point shaving and throwing/fixing games is one thing, betting on yourself to win is something entirely different.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• But we don't know who he was betting on, you know?

Comment

• I went with the 16-team playoff, mostly because of the Iowa situation... screw USC, they had their chance against Wazzou (and they are in anyway).

And the first result...

At the Holiday Bowl, things started well for the North Texas Eagles, holding Miami to a three-and-out on the Hurricanes' first possession. It was all downhill from there, however:

#1 Miami 92
                                #16 North Texas 3

Little known fact: apparently, the Eagles' uniforms sport an uncanny replica of a cleat-mark on the chest.

North Texas' coach, UNT COACH, was asked how he felt after Miami scored their 66th point early in the third quarter: "First, I cried. Then I threw up."

North Texas quarterback QB #10 pulled a Ty Detmer and tossed seven picks, three of which were returned for scores, including a 95-yarder with the Eagles threatening, only down 14-0 at the time. Said QB #10: "Ooops."
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X