Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again... please explain how a playoff system of 8 teams takes ANYTHING away from the regular season.

Letting a team with two losses into a playoff obviously makes the regular season less important. How can you argue otherwise?

But you claim that if Bowling Green had gone undefeated they didn't deserve a chance because they didn't play a hard enough schedule. Well guess what... MANY teams played a harder schedule than OSU did...

You seem pretty willing to dismiss another teams perfect schedule because YOU think they aren't that good, but come on... they did EVERYTHING THAT WAS ASKED OF THEM...

I've said before that there must be some sort of threshhold for strength of schedule. I believe I suggested above 50th in the nation. Just because you don't remember my arguments doesn't mean that I'm talking in circles.

I love how these FEW supporters of this crappy system keep talking in circles tryig to defend a system that sucks...

At least I'm still defending my arguments. You haven't said anything outside of "blah blah old men blah blah greed blah blah majority" in a long time.

A bunch of smilies in a row does not an argument make.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Again... a playoff system for 8 teams doesn't do ANYTHING to invalidated the regular season. You seem to think that Conference Championships are totally meaningless, and that a playoff system only two more rounds than the current system changes everything. It doesn't. There were tons of Conference Championships this year where the teams involved had no hope for a chance at the championship. Those games... and the fans at those games... and the tv ratings... sure as hell didn't look meaningless to me. It is only YOUR opinion, and frankly, that's all you have been offering up... rehash after rehash of ONLY YOUR opinion.

You again claim that bowling green's strength of schedule invalidates a perfect seaon... Yet over 20 % of teams in 1 - A played a harder strength of schedule then Miami had... What's the cut off... some magical number that you pull out of thin air?

You say you are defending your arguments... but with nothing more than just your opinion... and your opinion is just plain wrong... as almost everybody that has voted in the polls has proved. It's you and just a few others who continue to hold on to nothing
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• It is only YOUR opinion, and frankly, that's all you have been offering up... rehash after rehash of ONLY YOUR opinion.

Whose opinion were you expecting me to give?

Yet over 20 % of teams in 1 - A played a harder strength of schedule then Miami had...

Actually, 19th out of 117 is less than 20%.

You say you are defending your arguments... but with nothing more than just your opinion... and your opinion is just plain wrong... as almost everybody that has voted in the polls has proved.

What does the fact that the majority of people who voted on the BCS poll have a different opinion than me prove? We're all going on opinion here Ming, and my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Quit reaching for straws.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• And that's how funky the numbers are that you are basing your opinion your on... Last week, Miami's strength of schedule was ranked 30th (I hadn't seen the new numbers yet, so sue me) Now it's shifts to to 19th after a single game. Just further reasons why the number is by no means an exact science...

But again... you never explain how the regular season becomes meaningless. Under the current system, which is a playoff system, teams not involved in the championship anymore were playing in Conference Championship Games. The fans and tv audiences seem to think they were still meaningful. The Big 12 Championship game was a fan favorite, the place was going nuts... and you say that it is meaningless? What's the difference between 8 teams or 2 on the regular season... NONE... The regular season will still stay JUST as meaningful has it is today.

And the difference is... under a playoff system, the regular season will be meaningful for ALL teams in division 1 - A, not just the teams you have annointed as worthy...
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

• And thanks for making me look up the current stregth of schedule numbers. Georgia played the 5th toughest and only had one loss. Maybe if Miami and OSU had played a schedule as tough as theirs, they would have lost a game too
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

• And that's how funky the numbers are that you are basing your opinion your on... Last week, Miami's strength of schedule was ranked 30th (I hadn't seen the new numbers yet, so sue me) Now it's shifts to to 19th after a single game.

Did you think playing the #14 team in the country wasn't going to boost Miami's strength of schedule?

But again... you never explain how the regular season becomes meaningless.

Why do you keep using the word "meaningless"? I stopped using that word a long time ago because it doesn't accurately reflect the situation. I apologized for using it, because it was misleading. So why do you insist on putting that word in my mouth?

The regular season won't be "meaningless", but it will have a greatly lessened importance. Teams won't have to go undefeated anymore to guarantee a title shot; they'll be able to lose one, two, or sometimes three games and still have a shot. Takes a lot of the tension out of the regular season, don't you think?

And the difference is... under a playoff system, the regular season will be meaningful for ALL teams in division 1 - A, not just the teams you have annointed as worthy...

To the best of my knowledge, any team in D-I can make the title game if they rank #1 or #2 in the final BCS rankings. Therefore, every team in the country has a shot at the title.

BCS games are different; if you aren't in a major conference or Notre Dame, you probably aren't going to get a chance at a BCS bowl, even if your ranking shows you deserve it. This is bull**** and I support changing it. You don't need a playoff to address this problem, however.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• USC was #1 in SOS; maybe if they played as tough as schedule as them, they'd have two losses... maybe even three!

Seeding in my 12-team playoff
                #1 Miami (bye, vs. 8-9)
                #2 Ohio State (bye, vs. 7-10)
                #3 Georgia (bye, vs. 6-11)
                #4 Washington State (bye, vs. 5-12)
                #5 Oklahoma vs. #12 North Texas
                #6 Notre Dame vs. #11 Texas Christian
                #7 Florida State vs. #10 Marshall
                #8 Boise State vs. #9 Colorado State

Seeding in a 16-team playoff, with 5 additional wild-cards picked according to the same criteria used for the 12-team version
                #1 Miami vs. #16 North Texas
                #2 Ohio State vs. #15 Texas Christian
                #3 Iowa vs. #14 Arkansas
                #4 Georgia vs. #13 Marshall
                #5 Southern California vs. #12 Colorado State
                #6 Washington State vs. #11 Virginia Tech
                #7 Oklahoma vs. #10 Boise State
                #8 Notre Dame vs. #9 Florida State

Michigan and Texas lost tiebreakers to VTU & Arkansas for the last two wildcard slots. Marshall & Arkansas actually tied for seeding; Marshall was ranked higher due to their conference championship.

So, which one should I do?
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  but it will have a greatly lessened importance. Teams won't have to go undefeated anymore to guarantee a title shot
                  And again, how will an 8 game playoff system lessen the importance of the Big !2 Championship Game... or other games. It won't.

And as it is right now, you don't have to go undefeated to get a shot at the title, and under the current system, you can go undefeated and NOT get a shot at it... Those are pure facts and not opinion And the fact that an undefeated team can get NO shot at a championship is just wrong... using your own criteria that they deserve a shot at it

It was pure luck that there are only two undefeated teams left this year, there could have been 3 or 4... The BCS can't handle that one.
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

• It was pure luck that there are only two undefeated teams left this year, there could have been 3 or 4... The BCS can't handle that one.

I'll believe it when I see it. Besides, you don't need a playoff to fix this problem. An extra game after the the bowls, if necessary, would fix this (as I've said many times).

BTW, are you watching my Dolphins kick the crap out of your Bears? Do you think it's a sign about which one of us is right and which one of us is wrong?
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• No... it's just a sign that the Bears Suck this year... Like I've mentioned many times so far
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

• [jack]Go Dolphins! [/jack]

Frankly, the BCS worked this year. #1 is playing #2, and you can't say that someone else deserves to be in that game.

However... in years that there is no clear-cut 1 and 2 teams, I support a small playoff. In this year, a playoff would be gilding the lily.
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Frankly, the BCS worked this year. #1 is playing #2, and you can't say that someone else deserves to be in that game.

I can and I will. Georgia was #5 in SOS, Miami was 19th. USC was 1 in SOS. If Miami played Georgia's or USC's schedule maybe they would have had a loss.

--

Guy... go for the 12 team playoff. Give the top 4 a bye (not that it matters in a video game).
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Guy: Do the 16-team playoff. It's an egregious sin for USC to get excluded.
                            CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                            Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                            Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                            Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• I so wanted to post at halftime of last night's game. "Our punter is looking good".
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• AAGH!!! I can't believe I missed this thread at the begining, that'll teach me to do homework on the weekends

Comment

Working...
                                X