Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Go suck yourself"?

Believe me, if I could "suck myself" I sure wouldn't be posting on a message board right now.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• If the boys on PTI say the BCS didn't work

Wilbon has always said the BCS doesn't work, and he continues to say it.

Do you really want to ignore OSU's perfect record just because you think USC might be better?

YES! USC has shown that it is a great team, only has 2 losses and just rocked Notre Dame. They are deserving of any team to be included in the discussion of national champion.

I thought you were trying to get away from subjective determinations of quality

If you want to have the bowls and then acknowledge the national championship is totally subjective then I have no problem with that. To have the BCS say that because of its system, you have a 'true' national championship is ludicrous.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• To have the BCS say that because of its system, you have a 'true' national championship is ludicrous.

When have I ever said that the BCS crowns a "true" national champion? I don't care who the "best" team is and I think I've been pretty clear about that. I'm more interested in rewarding the best season, which is what the BCS does pretty well. Not perfectly, but pretty well, and certainly better than any playoff.

YES! USC has shown that it is a great team, only has 2 losses and just rocked Notre Dame. They are deserving of any team to be included in the discussion of national champion.

Only 2 losses?!?

[/ming mode]

Hasta la vista, regular season! Imran's running the show now!
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• When have I ever said that the BCS crowns a "true" national champion?

That's what the people in charge of the BCS say. THAT is why there is a BCS instead of the old system.

Why have a BCS instead of the old system of bowls and polls if you simply want to reward the regular season?

Only 2 losses?!?

With the one of the toughest schedules in the country. Oh right, Miami played Rutgers and Temple. HARD teams.

Hasta la vista, regular season!

Because a 0-11 team can make a playoff . Use your head.

I guess I'll just tell the NFL to stop playing. They have a playoff so their regular season means nothing. I'll inform the Bengals and Texans that they should get ready for the playoffs. Their regular seasons didn't matter .

Secondly, if you are good enough to be considered one of the 8 best teams in the country, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT ONE OR TWO LOSSES. The 'regular season' argument is such a crock of ****. Miami doesn't play close to as tough a schedule as Oklahoma or USC or Washington State.

The regular season means crap, because they don't play the same teams! That's why you need a playoff, to see which teams are better and which teams just benefited from an easy schedule!!

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; December 9, 2002, 19:59.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Maybe over the course of two straight years of non-stop football, each team could play the 116 other 1-A teams. Then the top 2 could play for the national title!

Comment

• That would be one way of deciding the 'true' national champion .

Or you could have a playoff .

Comment

• Just curious, but:

I don't care who the "best" team is and I think I've been pretty clear about that

If you don't care about the best team, then why have a national champion?

Why not go back to the bowls and polls and say national champion is just a popularity contest? I'd have more respect for you that way.

Comment

• Secondly, if you are good enough to be considered one of the 8 best teams in the country, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT ONE OR TWO LOSSES.

Why don't you just admit that you want college football to be like the NFL? I'd have more respect for you that way.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Why don't you just admit that you want college football to be like the NFL?

I don't deny it. I'd like college football to be like the best run league in the country.

I want college football to be more like the NFL. Though I don't want it totally to be like the NFL, that would be impossible. Furthermore, having 12 teams make the playoffs out of 32 (37.5%) is MUCH greater as a percentage than having 8 teams out of 116 (7%) make the playoffs. And there is something about having conference championships, with as many conferences as are in college football.

There, do I get my respect now?

Comment

• There, do I get my respect now?

I guess. At least you're honest.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• So why back the BCS? Seriously?

Why not just go with the Bowls and Polls? I mean, if you really don't care about the best team winning national championship, the BCS doesn't mean anything to you!

Comment

• So why back the BCS? Seriously?

Because it was sometimes impossible under the old system to determine which team had the best season. If a Big Ten team went undefeated and a Big 12 team went undefeated, they would be locked into different bowls and not play each other.

The BCS fixes this by placing the two unbeatens in a national title game. The BCS allows you to determine which team had the best season in situations that the old system couldn't handle. Pretty simple, really.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Because it was sometimes impossible under the old system to determine which team had the best season. If a Big Ten team went undefeated and a Big 12 team went undefeated, they would be locked into different bowls and not play each other.

But if you don't care if the best team wins the national championship, what does that matter? It is all a matter of subjectivity isn't it?

The BCS fixes this by placing the two unbeatens in a national title game. The BCS allows you to determine which team had the best season in situations that the old system couldn't handle.

Doesn't that basically mean the BCS determines a 'true' national champion, so there are no arguments for the other teams?

Comment

• I don't think you understand my argument. Maybe I didn't make it clear, so I'll try to expand on it here.

When you mentioned a "true" national champion, I took that to mean that the "best" team in the country (best = most talented) was the national champ. I don't think it is possible to determine who the most talented team in the country is, given the huge number of teams in Division I, so I don't believe that it is an adequate yardstick. Hence this statement...

I don't care who the "best" team is and I think I've been pretty clear about that. I'm more interested in rewarding the best season, which is what the BCS does pretty well

When I said this, my point was that I don't think the national championship should be given to the "best" team, since that is impossible to determine in college football, even with a playoff.

I believe that the national championship should be given to the team that had the best season. This is relatively easy to determine and the BCS does a good job of it. This is also the way it has always been done and is one of the reasons college football is unique from other sports.

College football rewards teams for consistent performance over the entire course of the regular season. Other sports reward whatever team is playing best at the end of the season. I know that you prefer the latter, but I don't. I like college football's emphasis on the regular season and don't want to see it destroyed by a playoff.

I hope that was clear enough...
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Again... please explain how a playoff system of 8 teams takes ANYTHING away from the regular season.

And again... you are talking out of both side of your mouth again...

OSU, on the other hand, did everything that was expected of them. Do you really want to ignore OSU's perfect record just because you think USC might be better?
                                But you claim that if Bowling Green had gone undefeated they didn't deserve a chance because they didn't play a hard enough schedule. Well guess what... MANY teams played a harder schedule than OSU did...

You seem pretty willing to dismiss another teams perfect schedule because YOU think they aren't that good, but come on... they did EVERYTHING THAT WAS ASKED OF THEM...

I love how these FEW supporters of this crappy system keep talking in circles tryig to defend a system that sucks...
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X