Windows XP Compatability Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Compatability Issue

I used to run Civ3 on my office computer with success. My office just switched to Win XP Pro. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled civ3 plus the patch v. 1.29f and now when I click on the Civ3 icon, absolutely nothing happens. I have verified that my drivers are current. I suspect that my problem is related to not having administrator access. Has anyone run into this or does anyone know how to fix it? My lunch hour just isn't the same!

All I can tell you, is that CIV&PTW run perfect on XP- machines.

hmm, I you can install new drivers, I doubt you've got an 'administrator' problem.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I didn't *install* new drivers. I merely verified that my drivers are current (the latest available). I do not have administrator privileges and an not permitted to install new drivers.

Comment

Have you tried to install an other game,
        that could setlle it if that doesn't work either
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I have successfully installed other software, yes.

Comment

If you can install software at all you have no "administrator problem". It runs well on my machine using XP-home edition but I did not try it on XP-pro yet.
            Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

Okay, good to know. Any idea what my problem is then??

Win XP Pro v. 2002 service pack 1
              IBM
              Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz
              512 MB Ram
              NVIDIA Vanta

Comment

IF your admin is ok with you playing the game at lunch, see if he'll log into the admin account so you can try to launch the game. If that works, then you can pretty much determine that its a permissions issue, if not, then there may be something else amiss. Nvidia released the 4109 drivers on Dec. 3rd, so get those. Also, XP seems to have some issues if the chipset controllers not being current.

So, go to the Device Manager and look at the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, if it is an INTEL 82801, then definitely get the Application Accelerator from intel's website.

Aside from that, make sure the monitor is not Plug and Play or Default monitor. (I don't think this is your problem, but couldn't hurt to make sure your monitor inf is current). Same thing with the CD-ROM firmware, check for updates for that model.

And lastly, I don't know what kind of work you do, but if you have, or have ever HAD, a scanner hooked up to that computer, make sure there is no OCRAWARE or OCR32 in you Task manager.

Comment

Infogrames support FAQ. Addresses a lot of issues.

Comment

I've been playing Civ 3 with both XP and XP Pro and have no problems whatsoever!

So long...
                    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Working...
                    X