No announcement yet.

What are the best 3 bonuses for a civ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best 3 bonuses for a civ?

I cannot decide what to use for my civ. "Expansionist" is out since my custom map is not using goody huts or barbarians. Could a few of you give me your opinions?

Thank you so much!

It depends. It depends on a lot of factors. What kind of game you want to play. Are you more of a builder or a warmonger? Do you like your bonus abilities to favor the early, mid, late, or all game?

There is no 'best'. My personal favorite (especially for MP or when I want a relaxing game at lower difficulties (Regent)) is Expansionistic.

I find Industrious to be the easiest for me to take advantage of, with religious a close second.

Play a few standard games and you'll be able to answer this yourself.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

expansionist, religious and industrious for me too.
      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

For me, industrious, but I wish I'd avoided it at first.
        Now, any game I play where I'm non-Industrious seems to drag on forever and my infrastructure is weeeeak.

Do yourself a favor - avoid industrious, at least to start with.

That said, My favorites are Industrious, Religious, and Commercial (*dodges the thrown vegetables - )
        "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Most games, I just have to have the Militaristic trait. That one is my favourite. Cheaper barracks keeps the army fresh and on the move. Cheaper walls and coastal forts gets a strong defensive going quickly. Cheaper Airport makes it cheaper to establish foothold on the enemy continent after forcing your landing. And greater chance of promotions means more elites, and therefore greater chance of getting leaders. Since I've become much more of a warmonger, this is absolutely critical to my war efforts.

Second is Religious. Cheap temples and Cathedrals is enough, but then a mere single turn of anarchy means that setting the right government for peace/war time is quick enough to even make Democracy worth using.

Third is a tie between Commercial and Scientific.

As for Expansionist, it is only any good when playing on large to huge maps, with further limits to its strength on a standard map (the size I usually play)

And while Industrious is a very powerful trait, its nowhere near my favourite (though it used to be).
          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal
            As for Expansionist, it is only any good when playing on large to huge maps, with further limits to its strength on a standard map (the size I usually play)
            I find that on standard maps it is usually a great trait. Where it falls apart is the really high difficulty levels. The computer players will have so many spare units that they will explore most of the world before your scouts get there.
            Seemingly Benign
            Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

For me, it's scientific first. That way I get defensive units right from the start.
              Second, industrious. And third is a tie between commercial and Militaristic.
              I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Industrious is obvious. For second I like religious (cheap temples helps a lot) or, lately, commercial. I seem to do well with Carthage for some reason so it must be a good combo.
                Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
                http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Ducki- That's exactly how I am with expansionist these days, any game I play with a non-exp civ seems to be just sooooo slow. I am addicted to that extra speed expansionist gives you.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

So... Industrious and Expansionist...

...and lo, we come full circle to liking the Americans once again?

Comment

First is religious for cheap, early temples. Next is militaristic for the cheap barracks and because I'm a warmonger. And third is a tie between scientific and industrious. I never find many huts so expansionist never works right for me.

Comment

I like religous the most. I care about my culture more than anything. Next is militarieistic, for the cheap barracks. That's for war. Third goes to scientific. I like the free advance at the begining of each new era.
                        I used to take care of horses at a ranch. Now I take care of horses at a glue factory.
                        Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be outside by itself.

Comment

I think the Religious trait is a game-breaker. Since most players change govs at least twice, the civ with the religious trait essentially gets 8-10 bonus turns. That's 1-2 techs, on top of getting cheaper temples which increase culture, good in itself.

Comment

jpinard,

It depends on your play style. Perhaps this table will help.

Builder WarMonger Half&Half
                            industrious x
                            expansionist
                            religious x
                            commercial x x
                            scientific x x x
                            militaristic x x

Builder needs: cheap culture, cheap scientific advances, and good economy.

Warmonger needs: cheap military, cheap techs, and just a few workers as most is going into military, thus industrious for workers.

Half&Half needs: cheap techs, good economy and military for current Era defensive military units.

== PF

Comment

Good chart... I've posted a poll for this question http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=71242
                              Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

Working...
                              X