How many turns on Dec 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many turns on Dec 1?

Are we planning on having a Hot Day where we go through several turns on Dec 1?

Who is going to start the game and determine if anyone has an extremely awful starting position?

Hm, i suggest to make a slow start for the first 3 turns... there is enough to discuss after seeing the starting position...
    Consul of the Republic of Neu Demogyptica
    See our official announcements HERE!

Comment

Wasn't there a better solution found here?
      Member of the Apolyton C3C DG-Team

Comment

That's what I thought as well... one turn on this upcoming Sunday, and the first real turnchat a week later, so teams have time to become familiar with their surroundings.

Comment

How about starting the first turn now?? most teams are ready
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Hmmh... yes, I agree, starting on Dec 1 as normal. Then each team gets a day with turn one. Later we meet for an accelerated session. This sounds good so far.

But what, if one Civ has a really bad SP? Restart or have they to accept?
            Arne · Das Civilization Forum

Comment

We did talk about it, but are still looking for an imparcial judge to screen the map
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Originally posted by AroSch
                Hmmh... yes, I agree, starting on Dec 1 as normal. Then each team gets a day with turn one. Later we meet for an accelerated session. This sounds good so far.

But what, if one Civ has a really bad SP? Restart or have they to accept?
                the idea was to have the map randomly generated, and have someone who's not playing look at all the SP and judge if they're bearable.

not sure how thats going.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Hi folks!
                  I think in about the first 10 rounds someone might realize he is stuck on a small deserted island, without fresh water.
                  (will he just sit thee and grow a beard?)

So get to that point fast, upcoming Sunday...
                  My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

the idea was to have the map randomly generated, and have someone who's not playing look at all the SP and judge if they're bearable.
                    Well, sonds good to me. May be this "someone" shold do this now? So we could start on Dec 1st.
                    Arne · Das Civilization Forum

Comment

Who could we appoint to screen the start locations? Who here would be the best judge of starting location?
                      Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                      Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Originally posted by AroSch
                        Well, sonds good to me. May be this "someone" shold do this now? So we could start on Dec 1st.
                        I'm assuming that "someone" would, if we had any idea what civ some of the teams we're going to pick...
                        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Who could we appoint to screen the start locations? Who here would be the best judge of starting location?
                          Aeson was willing, but he hasn't PTW yet

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
                            Hi folks!
                            I think in about the first 10 rounds someone might realize he is stuck on a small deserted island, without fresh water.
                            Keep in mind that it typically takes five turns just to build your first warrior (or even longer if the first tile worked is flood plain or regular grassland), so only expansionist civs would be likely to find out much about their surroundings within the first ten turns of the game. Unless an island is very small, it takes a while to verify that it's an island rather than having a connection with other land somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay

Keep in mind that it typically takes five turns just to build your first warrior (or even longer if the first tile worked is flood plain or regular grassland), so only expansionist civs would be likely to find out much about their surroundings within the first ten turns of the game. Unless an island is very small, it takes a while to verify that it's an island rather than having a connection with other land somewhere.
                              I just playtested a game where I played with the exact settings that we're planning to use... the random map turned out to be an archiapelago and most civs were on single-civ islands (the exceptions being that there two larger islands with 2 civs on them). All islands were in contact and islands that no civ had started on had been already claimed by civs by the end of the Ancient Age.

Interesting, the two civs that started on the largest island were the furthest behind in technology because all of the other civs had come into contact with each other before discovering their sizable island (which had 2 extra islands they'd taken as well).

Given that we're playing on RANDOM landmass, we have no idea what things will look like. But generally it's only if it's an archiapelago map that a civ can really get screwed by being isolated on a lonely island (which happens to be why we shouldn't have done random landmass.... but oh well).
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X