Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OOC] UBER-Important!!! Private forums are NOT private.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OOC] UBER-Important!!! Private forums are NOT private.

BE WARNED! There is a flaw in the private forums so that anyone, not just members of a particular team, not just the opposing team members, but literally anyone on the forums can read everything in the private forums.

This comes about by using the "Search" field - it can search and direct you to threads or posts in these forums (eg try searching for "China" in the GoW forum), or by simply using the "view new posts" option in the main forum. This will show you ALL new posts, including those in the forums.

I am PMing MarkG about it now, but I fear this will be a difficult problem to solve, so my advice is to not discuss anything very concretely yet.

I was going to run with this assuming I was the only one who stumbled on this, but it could be more detrimental to us than helpful (my conscience would have had no problem with this - I'd love to have kicked the other teams' tails and embarrassed all those big-talkers that write us off ), so I thought I needed to tell you all and the Admin.

The fun I could have had....
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Well, I'm actually glad you didn't

I just hope MarkG fixes this particular problem... I've already said enough about the other teams that they'd know WAAY too much about my strategic thoughts on the game (check out the "The Other Teams: An Assessment" thread...

I would hope that any player would have the decency to NOT look at other teams' stuff. I'd also assume that if a team member of any team posted information they got from another forum in their own forum, the more honorable of their fellow teammates would skin them alive for it... (at least I'd HOPE that members on the teams are that honorable...)
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Are you sure about this? I can remember trying it a few weeks ago (just because I know a bit about PHP and MarkG challenged us to hack other team's forums ), and it didn't work for me. I've just tried it again : search for 'legoland' in all forums, and I only get public forums results (although this word must have been used in some private forums, including ours). Maybe it's related to a moderator status or something?
      "Great artists have no country."
      -Alfred de Musset

Comment

Blast it all. I think that perhaps an Inquisition is needed. If a team is found to be guilty of sneaking in here, I think either banning, or public execution with squids is required.
        Empire growing,
        Pleasures flowing,
        Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos

I would hope that any player would have the decency ...
          May I suggest, hightly respected Most Trusted Advisor, that you first explain to some members of the tribe what decency means ? I know a cave dweller, and a squids salesman, who have evidently never heard of it, and many more ...
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

May I suggest, hightly respected Most Trusted Advisor, that you first explain to some members of the tribe what decency means ? I know a cave dweller, and a squids salesman, who have evidently never heard of it, and many more ...
            I, personally and on behalf of my customers, am truly insulted by this. Do you really think some of our fellow tribesmen do not even know the word "decency," while you do happen to know it? Do you pretend to stand above our comprades morally? Such condesceding remarks about our people are unforgivable and are not the signs of a leader of any kind.
            Civ3 PtW Democracy Game info: (links work only for Roleplay-team members)
            Floris Petro Rulio Olstorne, member of the Roleplay-team, Owner of the tavern Iberian Delight, Pro 1 Activist {Click here}.

Comment

Originally posted by F-PRO

Do you pretend to stand above our comprades morally?
              Yes, I have absolutely no doubt about it, particularly from a moral standpoint. Your half drunken, half intoxicated clients are badly prepared for a moral competition.
              Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt about it, particularly from a moral standpoint. Your half drunken, half intoxicated clients are badly prepared for a moral competition.
                They may be half drunken, but not throughout the day (most of them), and even when half drunken, some have better ideas about society in general than you do. On top of that, because of their socializing skills which they gained in my tavern, they are often better in diplomacy and other forms of interaction with other people than people who refuse to get a drink at my tavern .
                Civ3 PtW Democracy Game info: (links work only for Roleplay-team members)
                Floris Petro Rulio Olstorne, member of the Roleplay-team, Owner of the tavern Iberian Delight, Pro 1 Activist {Click here}.

Comment

Originally posted by F-PRO

They may be half drunken, but not throughout the day (most of them), and even when half drunken, some have better ideas about society in general than you do. On top of that, because of their socializing skills which they gained in my tavern, they are often better in diplomacy and other forms of interaction with other people than people who refuse to get a drink at my tavern .
                  You forget their main quality : they are very good at spending all their income for overpriced foods such as squids as dubious as their supplier.
                  Statistical anomaly.

Comment

squids as dubious as their supplier
                    What’s the difference between a dubious squid and an undubious squid?

By the way, some artistic person needs to design squiddies we can use in place of smilies.

Comment

Originally posted by pikesfan

By the way, some artistic person needs to design squiddies we can use in place of smilies.
                      Great idea !
                      Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Well, MarkG PMed back and the problem was apparently just lil' ole me. I had access to these posts as a hangover from my C3DG mod days, and that is now fixed.

Damn. I wish I'd kept my trap shut. To have been the only one able to see every team's discussions...

And Arn - it was, looking back, a moment of madness that I decided that I needed to tell everyone about this and thus lose my little bit of fun. There had been no indication that anyone else had discovered this, and stupidly I didn't consider the idea that it was just me. I don't know why I don't seem to care with regard to this particular situation, perhaps it's because I expect "honour" to be a word unheard of in this game.
                        Consul.

Comment

This makes things so simple....

now, how hard is it to make one of us the C3DG president? If we can manage that, we can spy! right? right?

lol, j/k
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Uh-oh! Aggie is the C3DG President and he's in GoW (IIRC)!

I think it was just a hangover from the fact that I was President when these forums were created, so I had some exemption that was missed.
                            Consul.

Comment

Senor Davout:

Sir, if these weren't Ancient Times, I'd have little choice but to challenge you to a duel, using squids are the weapon of choice. I see few men here who are are dubious as failed politicians attempting to curry favor by attempting to stain the reputation of all others around him.

With a slap of the old glove,
                              "Honest" Hernan de History Guy Calamari
                              Squid Salesman
                              Empire growing,
                              Pleasures flowing,
                              Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Working...
                              X