Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civ II MP dead?

Well... what do you think.

The PTW experiences so far haven't been perfect, but Firaxis is working on it.

I still know a bunch of hardcores that will play Civ II MP, but will it get harder and harder to find a game in the future.

Is there any life left in this classic game... are we doomed to playing PTW for our MP Civ fix...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Civ is just plain dead period. Civ3 will never be as popular as Civ2 was.

Comment

Gee, Ming, I wish you'd let Deity, Horse, Hydey and me know Civ 2 was dead before we started another new game last night.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yea, and we just finished the most amazing Aussie game plus I'm also in the new USA Sat nighter with SEVEN players (going into several sessions now)
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

We're just waiting for Horse to troll in the new game and we're going to ban him.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I don't think PTW will have much of an impact, since the only players that played much civ2 before it came out aren't likely to stop.

Comment

Of course there will always be some small groups of fanatics who will be playing... But for a while there, it seemed like new people were still popping up every once in a while. Now it seems the exact opposite. We are seeing less and less of some of the old regulars.

Only 42 people bothered to even sign up for the Civ II MP Group... Not a very good sign in the long run.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Thats only the people who visit this site.

But things are quieting down at the zone too.

There are always enough people to play with when I want to though so I'm not overly worried.

Most people that I play with hate civ3 anyway

Comment

I doubt it... All my experiences in Civ 3 so far point to a game that will be over by 0 AD without house rules...

Small map games will be dominated by worker stealing rushes, and the "Warrior Gambit" strategy (Which will induce alot of quitting if it doesn't work).

I think Civ 2 will be fine, as long as you can continue to make it fun for all involved. That means modding, changing the rules.txt and so on.
                  Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
                    I doubt it... All my experiences in Civ 3 so far point to a game that will be over by 0 AD without house rules...

Small map games will be dominated by worker stealing rushes, and the "Warrior Gambit" strategy (Which will induce alot of quitting if it doesn't work).
                    That's funny, when I opined a few months back that civ3 as it stood would make a poor MP game due to (amongst other quibbles) overly strong incentives for early militarisation relative to other goals most people disagreed with me.

Comment

I've played exactly one Civ3 single player game and I have no intentions to play another one.
                      Mrs.SmartFart and I going out tonight and if we doesn't come back too drunk I'll be happy to participate in your game if there will be one this saturday.

I've been quite busy last 2 months and played only 2 duels against Makeo and War4ever. We never continued,but thats normal.
                      My life, my rules

Comment

Only 42 people bothered to even sign up for the Civ II MP Group... Not a very good sign in the long run
                        and it's the third MP group behind the civ3 ones
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          Only 42 people bothered to even sign up for the Civ II MP Group... Not a very good sign in the long run
                          and it's the third MP group behind the civ3 ones
                          Hmmm... maybe there is still hope for the grand ole game yet

And what are you doing in this forum
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

well the thread title and poster draw my attention...
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              well the thread title and poster draw my attention...
                              Ohhh....
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                              X