New traits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good ideas
    My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

What about "Survivialists"? A civs which knows how to survive in harsh conditions.
      Such civs could gain bonuses (+1 food or even a sheild) for tiles such as Tundra or Jungle, + no disease for flood plains? Or it could be their settlers special ability to improve such tiles?

It could be: Russia for sure (as guy who live in Siberia I can guaranty this) and perhaps Incas or Aztecs?

Also, I like idea of mountinous, but I guess it's too powerfull, perhaps instead of this survivialists should also gain ability to terraform their mountins and hills to gain one extra food per tile? Such examples are exist, in China and Japan, iirc they make gardens out of their hills.
      Last edited by Serb; November 26, 2002, 04:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II

Agricultural is ridiculosly weak if you consider that +1 food only adds up to 1/2 more citizen.
        The benefit comes not from an Agricultural city being able to support larger populations, but from its being able to grow faster, especially in the early game when you are in Despotism. For example, if your city would ordinarily have a surplus of two food (meaning 10 turns to grow by one), then with the Agricultural trait you would get a surplus of three food (meaning 7 turns to grow by one). This means that Agricultural is like getting the Pyramids for free.
        Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
          Nomadic is ridiculously powerful. You are talking about rush building a settler in one turn by abandoning a city. While the city is growing, player can concentrate on building units.

Agricultural is ridiculosly weak if you consider that +1 food only adds up to 1/2 more citizen.

Mountainous is also ridiculosly powerful. CIty will be virtually impervious to assaults and according to civ3 rule city square reaps 2/1/1 Food/Shield/Trade.

Somethings need to be balanced here.
          I agree, but balancing can be done, somehow. If agricultural is weak, maybe you can also decrease the size of their amount of grain needed to grow (and you get cheaper granaries and harbors)
          For nomadic you can decide that the player gets only one settler independant on the size. It's not that good anyway: if you want to abandon your city and start somewhere else you might have choosen not to build the city in the first place.
          For mountainous you can do that mountains don't get the city bonus (or less bonus) and maybe decrease the defence bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb
            What about "Survivialists"? A civs which knows how to survive in harsh conditions.
            Such civs could gain bonuses (+1 food or even a sheild) for tiles such as Tundra or Jungle, + no disease for flood plains? Or it could be their settlers special ability to improve such tiles?

It could be: Russia for sure (as guy who live in Siberia I can guaranty this) and perhaps Incas or Aztecs?

Also, I like idea of mountinous, but I guess it's too powerfull, perhaps instead of this survivialists should also gain ability to terraform their mountins and hills to gain one extra food per tile? Such examples are exist, in China and Japan, iirc they make gardens out of their hills.
            Hm... these new ideas for mountainous are not so bad. They are quite good actually.
            But about survivist: I don't know it would really link certain civs to certain areas, but maybe it's okay. You'll have to switch your tactics from improving your terrain to the best to expanding to the worst places (build on north or south pole.)

Then: my religions idea. It could be part of the integration proces as well. Make it three religions: paganism (Egypt, Rome, Hindu)
            prophetic monotheism (Arab, Persia, mahayana buddhism) philosophical (China, Japan, original buddhism)
            And you get to choose how much tolerance you have in your reign(let's say five options with the secular option only becoming avaiable in industrial or modern times) Certain religions will limit certain spending (like no more than x percent science, I don't know it is just an idea.
            It would be cool if you got a message like you did in civ II when another civ changed government. And that every civ had their religious leader(s) (okay, so we reuse christ a couple of times.)
            For example: India:
            The Indians decide to worship a wide range of gods.
            The Indians decide to follow the teachings of prophet Buddha.
            The Indians decide to rule society by the findings of Buddha.
            Russia:
            The Russians decide to worship a wide range of gods.
            The Russians decide to follow the teachings of prophet Christ.
            The Russians decide to rule society by the findings of Lenin (or Marx).
            But I would have to find a way how it doesn't intervene with the type of state you have. (The case is most obvious with communism).

Comment

More stuff is always a good thing. Doen't matter if it's units, civs or traits. But keep in mind that someone has to do them.

Comment

Personally I think we should do away with the idea of traits; instead, the traits come by the choice of the player. He/she gets 30 points at the beginning and can spend it wherever he/she wants...

E.g. Player expands, find himself on island:
                8 points onto 1/2 the cost for ships
                Player finds large, fertile plain
                8 points onto +1 food for irrigation+road
                Player builds many banks
                5 points onto 75% price for marketplaces/banks
                etc etc
                and the AI civs would do the same.

But in the meantime, assuming that we use the existing model, I'd say that Agricultural and Maritime are in short supply.
                Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

A thing about mountaineous trait (Incas)

They could generate +1 food on mountains and/or hills
                  Then it would make sense to build a city on a mountain (because single mountains in grassland are quite rare).

Why? Mountains are not barren. You can hunt game and grow something on mountains - very much like in tundra.
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

If you generate 1 extra food on mountain and you can built on them maybe they become too good. But maybe we could include that the mountainous have to start on mountain.

Comment

Personally I think we should do away with the idea of traits; instead, the traits come by the choice of the player. He/she gets 30 points at the beginning and can spend it wherever he/she wants...
                      That's exactly what I would sugest. If you have played Master of Orion II you would know how powerful of a feature tha could be. This would be fight on completely different level of strategy, what traits are better than other traits. Would be a perfect idea for next Civ.

Comment

I like the Agricultural and and Imperialistic trait ideas.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

hi ,

new traits

we really need some , ..... the above look fine

what is also needed is to give some civ's more then two , others maybe just one , .... it makes a game more intresting , ....

Firaxis , please include some new traits

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                            what is also needed is to give some civ's more then two , others maybe just one , .... it makes a game more intresting , ....
                            And more imbalanced, thus more fun. Indeed it would be nice with a couple of leading civs and quite a lot of depending civs who get their techs by joining in alliances.
                            And indeed: Firaxis! We need extra traits! We did all the thinking for you already so include the examples given. (Agricultural, Imperialistic, Maritime, Universal, Cultural, Nationalistic, Nomadic and Mountainous)

Comment

Originally posted by Beren

And more imbalanced, thus more fun. Indeed it would be nice with a couple of leading civs and quite a lot of depending civs who get their techs by joining in alliances.
                              And indeed: Firaxis! We need extra traits! We did all the thinking for you already so include the examples given. (Agricultural, Imperialistic, Maritime, Universal, Cultural, Nationalistic, Nomadic and Mountainous)
                              hi ,

the whole world is unbalanced , so why not reflect that in the game , ....

but we need to be carefull that we dont unbalance it to far , .....

that can easy be overcome by changing UU's , cost of a unit , government versus traits parameters , etc , ....

have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Hegemonious sounds interesting, but all civs should have this trait. Vassal states could be created from barbarians (not from civs). Barbarians could be allowed one trait of their own each, and the opportunity to "grow" a bit, at a much slower pace. And definately terminate their growth at some point (don't want Etruscans w/ cruise missles).

Their terminations could be at the time they become vassal states. Their settlements would then assimilate into towns of their reigning power much as conquered cities assimilate.

Lots of things Firaxis could do. Hope they will.
                                "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Working...
                                X