Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific?

Hey all,

I've been having some trouble with the Scientific trait lately. It is supposed to give an extra tech at the start of each new era, and it always has in the past, but now I'm only getting the tech that puts me into the new age. For example, in my currect game as Persia, I research metallurgy to go up to the next era, and then I select the next tech I want...but it seems that it has automatically picked Nationalism for me as my free tech. In the past, I picked the tech I wanted as the free tech. Was this changed in a patch or am I just missing something?

Thanks.
    Kyle Goodridge
    University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

I don't think we have ever been able to pick our free tech with scientific civs.

Comment

If you select the tech that you normally get free at the start of each era, the game will automatically select something else.

For example, as I enter the Industrial era, I select Nationalism for research. I then get Medicine for free instead of Nationalism. Or as I enter the modern era, I select Rocketry for research. I then get Fission for free instead of Rocketry.

Of course, you can't control which specific tech you receive, however, you can tell the game not to give you the tech that you'd normally get free. The choice it makes for you then is random (in my experience anyway).
      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I started a thread about this a few eeks back. It seems I get Montheism / Nationalism / Rocketry about 95% of the time. Occasionally, I have received Ecology instead of Rocketry and Medicine instead of Nationalism. But, in a game in which I received Ecology (and which triggered my thread), I reloaded 4 times, each time selecting a different research path, and each time I reeived Ecology -- i.e., my tech choice had absolutely no impact on which free tech I got (when I choose Ecology, it would very quickly thereafter say "We have mastered the secrets of Ecology. What shall we research next?")

I have never seen an ability to choose which free tech you get in any of my games - and I don't know how the choice is made for you (i.e., what variables involved).

Catt

Comment

Yes I agree, I have never been able to select. ToE lets you pick one and you get the currently researched one.

Comment

Why does my science dude (who looks like Sid Meyer) say that we have learned the tech from one off my enemies?
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Great Lib, do you have it and has Education been researched?

Comment

I wish you could select the specific tech.
                James Dean Shepherd
                Jesus lives! :)
                ----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                  ToE lets you pick one and you get the currently researched one.
                  ToE? Translation? I even checked the "Abbreviations" thread on this. Maybe you should post it there.

The old editor?
                  The other end?
                  The obscure enemy?
                  Test of excess?

What?!
                  Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Theory of Evolution

Comment

ToE = Theory of Evolution (the Great Wonder)

Comment

Sorry, too much time on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                          I started a thread about this a few eeks back. It seems I get Montheism / Nationalism / Rocketry about 95% of the time. Occasionally, I have received Ecology instead of Rocketry and Medicine instead of Nationalism. But, in a game in which I received Ecology (and which triggered my thread), I reloaded 4 times, each time selecting a different research path, and each time I reeived Ecology -- i.e., my tech choice had absolutely no impact on which free tech I got (when I choose Ecology, it would very quickly thereafter say "We have mastered the secrets of Ecology. What shall we research next?")

I have never seen an ability to choose which free tech you get in any of my games - and I don't know how the choice is made for you (i.e., what variables involved).

Catt
                          I hadnt noticed that trend since I dont play scientific too often (I choose random civs) but I got those exact advances with the Ottomans in my current game.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                          X