Testing how terrain affects supply and demand lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing how terrain affects supply and demand lists

I have attached a save created from a MGE hotseat game, in which Trade was learned and shared among all the civs quite early in the game. It may be useful to those who would like to pursue how city supply and demand lists vary when cities are founded on different kinds of terrain.

Only one city has been founded so far, Babylon, which is still size one and was only used so the Babs could learn and share the knowledge of Trade. That leaves 13 settlers to work with, so that with each replay from this save, 13 more spots on this small world map can be checked.

It shouldn't take long for some ambitious soul to check every position on the map! I hope someone finds some use for this save, as I know I appreciated it when SG was able to provide a save from a regular game where the English started with Trade.

Oops, forgot to attach the save. I'll try in the next post.

Here it is. Sorry to 2.42 users, but it will only work with MGE.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is one for 2.42 testers!

Another trade start. Babylon is built on a buffalo, Ur is built on a pheasant. Supply and demand are identical in both cities.

------------------------

SG(2)
      Attached Files
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Here is the 4000BC start to the game above.

---------------------

SG(2)
        Attached Files
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks, SG, for those other saves. I know I will be putting them to use in future tests.

One thing I tried out quickly before resuming my hotseat test game, was to have settlers from different civs take turns building a city in the same location. With settlers from 4 different civs near one spot, this was attempted 4 times by using replays, and in each case the supply and demand lists were identical!

So when cities are founded, it does not seem to matter to the lists which civ is doing it. It's probably all linked to the terrain, though I suspect that list will vary over different eras, especially when dealing with locations that might yield the "fuel" commodities.

Comment

I still suspect that not terrain, but region of the map grid is what decides it. I.e. a certain rectangle produces 3 commodities; As time/techs move on, that rectangle shifts or changes size. No proof, just a hunch from close attention to demand and location over a few zillion games...
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

Working...
            X