Random Civs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Civs?

When I create a new scenario and place starting locations for all the civs, I have a problem when I start the game.
    I can choose to be any civ I choose, however the computer always selects the same civs even though it has starting locations for all the others??

Can anyone help or has anyone experienced the same thing??

Mark

Okay, I've never placed starting locations so I may be at a bit of a loss here but I'm not sure if the starting locs are suppose to be specific to a civ, maybe it's specific to where you want the other ai civs to start(not specific civs to start). One thing that I can think of immediately to make the situation better for you is to actually place settler units for the specific civs you want in your scenario, that way it should play like you want it too.

------------------
    Gemini
    [This message has been edited by gemini (edited September 25, 2000).]

Comment

Setting Start Locs by Civ works but as with all PreMade Map scenarios, it is very picky about what you do to set it up and in what order it is done. Don't set more than 30 Civs starting location though and always "Clear" the map before you actually start working on it. Be sure and wait 2 minutes aftering clearing the map before you do anything. If not, all the Civs placed on the map originally will not clear off. I would suggest forgetting about actually making a usable map until you have been through a lot of Trial-and-Error to find out how it works. The Instructions file on my CtPMaps site has some info which *might* be helpful, such as ALWAYS exiting CtP1 after saving a scenario and before making any other changes again.

I believe this problem stems from not saving and loading the scenario correctly (you didn't exit CtP1). Unfortunately, once it is done wrong, you have ruined the scenario and have to start over from scratch.

I can't walk you through the process step-by-step anymore because all 3 of my copies of CtP1 quit working about a month ago and I'm not buying another copy with CtP2 so close. (Must be that code that disables it after you have done 200 installs. )

If you could provide a little more info it might help to jog my memory a bit on this problem.

Don
      Don,
      CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Don,

If I re-install ctp and install the 1.1 and second patch(not sure of the exact number) and then start from scratch with all the original ctp folders and files. Will this help?

Then If I set the size of map and number of civs, lets say 10. Launch the map editor, clear the terrain - wait two mins - then import my map and place the starting locs for my chosen civs. save as - and then quit and start again will it select random civs each time?

(little bit difficult to follow the above but It's about as easy as I can explain)

Mark.

Comment

Actually, I have done this so many times that I can easily follow what you are saying.

Obviously without knowing the shape of your current CtP1 configuration, I can't say whether you should reinstall or not. I can tell you this, it would be better if you did. If the CtP1 files get mixed up or messed up, it will cause all kinds of strange problems. With all the CtP1 map and scenario stuff I did, I would always blow CtP1 away and reinstall from scratch between the different projects I worked on. CtP1 is so picky that it just saves frustration down the road. Also, whatever files you are using when you create your scenario, will be required to run your scenario. If the users don't have those files installed, they can't use your scenario. If you do reinstall, there is a thread explaining the pgms, patches and order to install everything in the forums here.

When you create a map scenario, DON'T actually use the map editor feature. Start a new, regular game with the map size and number of Civs you want. As soon as it starts, go into the cheat menu, terrain panel and clear off the map. Wait 2 minutes, sometimes longer for all the Civs to clear off. You will keep hearing settlers die as this is happening. Open the chat window, import your map, set the starting locations by Civ, save the map as a map (see my instructions.txt as there isn't actually a save map option), then do a save scenario as option (always do a save scenario as, never just the save scenario). Exit CtP1 entirely, move your files (savegame.csg) to the scenario structure you are creating, fire CtP1 back up and try your scenario.

Hint: Save games, maps, scenarios etc will show up as different colors when you go to load them. While scenarios normally come out blue, you want them to be black (normal games). This is accomplished by creating your scenario in one shot. You never want to load a scenario and make changes to it after you have saved it one time. This introduces problems which will bite you later. This is why you have to use trial-and-error. Once you figure out how to make it work, you start over from scratch, design your scenario in one shot and save it only one time. Trust me on this. Many times I have spent 12-14 hours on scenario only to have it come out totally useless. That is why I follow a strict order and do things many might think is a waste of time.

If I can find my step-by-step notes, I will email them to you. I don't think I left anything important out of the above advice but I am not 100% sure on that. For medical reasons, I have not spent much time on games lately and when I have it has been on games other than CtP1, so this is not as fresh in my mind as it should be.
          Don,
          CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Working...
          X