Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret of Monkey Island and Curse of Monkey Island - what happens inbetween?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret of Monkey Island and Curse of Monkey Island - what happens inbetween?

I considered putting in spoiler space in here, but then decided that if you express interest in this thread but haven't played through Secret of Monkey Island, then you're a big stupid stupid-head anyhow, and deserve to be spoilered.

What's that? Oh, all right.

Spoiler spoiler spoiler
    I made you out of clay
    Spoiler spoiler spoiler
    Without spoilers I shall play

Now then. Ending of SoMI is rather legendary - Guybrush and LeChuck are revealed to be small children playing in an amusement park, and parents take them away. However, LeChuck's ("Chuckie's") eyes flash and he appears to be doing some magic, leaving room for doubt that there's something more than meets the eye going on here. And in the start of CoMI, Guybrush is floating in a bumper car, and we're (to my memory) never really explained WTF happened.

So, WTF happened?
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

He escaped the 'Carnival of the Damned', a place created, in part, by the magic spell cast on Guybrush.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If you read Fone_Bone_2001's Article (LeChuck's Life and Plot Holes of MI4) you will notice how he comments on the end of Monkey Island 2. He couldn't have explained it better - "Yes, it is very weird. What is actually happening is that LeChuck is imprisoning Guybrush in the Carnival of the Damned. The whole "brother" thing is an illusion. His fortress in MI2 was probably a temporary location while the Carnival was being built. It is finished by the end of Monkey 2 and is destroyed at the beginning of Monkey 4, when Ozzie Mandrill pulls LeChuck out of the ice. We have to assume that LeChuck's power increased for some reason, which is why he can change forms in MI4." At the carnival in CMI (the part where you are talking to LeChuck), LeChuck tells you that you are not his brother and that the Carnival IS the famous treasure of Big Whoop

Comment

At the carnival in CMI (the part where you are talking to LeChuck), LeChuck tells you that you are not his brother and that the Carnival IS the famous treasure of Big Whoop
        I don't remember this being told.

Didn't Big Whoop open the gates to hell?
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Big Whoop is the 'Rollercoaster to Hell' in the carnival.

Comment

anyone know where i can download monkey island1&2? can't find it anywhere...
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

This is the Spanish version of Monkey Island 1.

Comment

In English, link at the bottom.

Comment

The debates on this have been running for years.......many believe the dream story......others don't. The guy responsible for 1 & 2 never got to do the 3rd part of _his_ trilogy, and he wont say what his plans for the secret were.

I think the attempt was made in Curse to support the dream story, since one section is in the now ruined carnival of the damned. There are inconsistencies of course, because it's only a game. The definitive reference is:

Since 1996 we have been the largest Monkey Island site on the web.

Essays, discussion and general monkey-islandness abound.

Comment

Working...
                  X