Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to get past "Customize map" screen before "mesageless error" crash

Here's what happens:

I'll load up Civ3. It changes the resolution for the movie, changes back and when I get into the menu. That is where I get the first visible warning. The text at the bottom of hte screen is "mushed" together, and all the menu options are in bold and shifted up by about 1/2 a line. I then select anything leading to a new game - customize map, load game, etc... - and it'll either go to the next screen, or boot me to the desktop. Let's say that I choose 'New Game". What will happen is that it will load the next screen ("Customize Map"), again any normal text (not image files displaying text) will be shifted & bolded. Once I click on the "ok" button to proceed into the game, I get booted to the desktop. There are NO error messages, the log file does NOT record any errors. This also happens with ANY version of the game that I try.

Here's my system specs:
    -pIII 750Mhz
    -768MB RAM
    -Win XP Professional, with all updates.
    -GeForce 2 MX 400 using (right now) Detonator 27.xx drivers (I was using the latest ones available before, with same results).
    -SB Live! with most recent drivers
    -More than enough free HD space
    -Other progs in the background: NAV, IRC, iroffer (DOS based IRC bot), winamp, usual assortment of drivers/system utilities.

Right now I am trying different compatability modes, without any success so far. I use to have this problem before, but it was not an issue as I had a dual boot system (win98SE & XP). Now that I have one OS, I do need to fix it.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not yield any positive results either, iy has only server to use up time & energy.

If this has been posted before, I would greatly appreciate a link to the solution. If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

-Oogs

Did you download the patch for Civ III - version 1.29f.

Sorry, I can not help more, but there are threads about Windows XP around in this section, just have to look.

One of the options in the Civilization3.Ini file - the start up file after the game starts the first time - for all the rest of the games is a couple of commands added, which one can find in the Read file with all the pactches or at the above link on the download page.

Refresh=60
    KeepRes=1

If not sure of your refresh rate for you video card (which can be looked up in Properties for the video card, might use one that is common - the line to add to that file:
    Refresh=60

Refresh may change due to Windows operating system
    between movie and start up screen.

KeepRes=1
    line is whatever resolution you run Windows in to work with the game in that resolution.
    Instead of 1024 x 768, I use usually 1280 x 960.
    KeepRes=1 will keep the game in the 1280 x 960 graphics mode.

Othes places may include more help (threads) for Windows XP.

Comment

I haven't tried the .ini file thing, so I'll definitely be doing that.

Yes, this still happens after the 1.29f patch, even after uninstalling and deleteing the dir. (I had already tried those two before posting)

-Oogs

Comment

Ok, well that Keepres thing seems to have done it... works now (at a higher res too!). thnx :P

Comment

same problem. tried the keepres thing.. resolution is still changing, problem still there.

Comment

Working...
          X