Massive maps and longer games???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casey_Val
    Which AI problems could I encounter if i make a very large map?
    And also how do i make one?

Anyway thank u for the help
    the ai will wander around and around at time

to make a map use the cheat mode in the game

I am on way to work but you could search the front page of apolyton and maybe a link for the guidelines for making and then saving a designed map

good luck

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Oh, thank u Grandpa Troll, so i should use the editor?

Can i make bigger maps like the ones that are on the net or i can just use the ctp new game screen to select the dimension of the map?

Comment

If you want to create maps of different sizes than those you can normally select, you can do so by editing the appropriate data file in ctp_data\default\gamedata. I can't remember what it's called exactly, but I guess it's something like map.txt.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
          If you want to create maps of different sizes than those you can normally select, you can do so by editing the appropriate data file in ctp_data\default\gamedata. I can't remember what it's called exactly, but I guess it's something like map.txt.
          const.txt will change the map and then you have river lengths and mountain and hills ect.

Have fun

Gramps

Comment

You can change the mapsize itself in const.txt as Grandpa Troll said, but then your random maps will look all messed up. By experimenting with adjusting the various values in map.txt you can make random maps look normal again.
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

thank u guys, that it will help a lot. I'll try both ways, then use the editor to make a super map

For now i'm playing a standard game with a random map and it's fine, but u know, i need a very good large map realistic... and lots of civs to make it interesting and challenging

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                You can change the mapsize itself in const.txt as Grandpa Troll said, but then your random maps will look all messed up. By experimenting with adjusting the various values in map.txt you can make random maps look normal again.
                and now I learned something

Thanks

Gramps

Comment

my experience(s) with very large maps a while ago (250x500 i believe):

- about a third to half of the AIs didnt move at all. nor did they ever settle.

and with more than 8 civs:

- you can play single player games with up to 32 civs. the colors (especially the green) will be hard to distinguish, but it will work. also i believe you can define the colors somewhere.
                  however, once you want to play with other people (hotseat, PBEM), you are always limited to 8 civs. at least i havent found a way around that yet.
                  Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
                  O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

Originally posted by Mathemagician
                    my experience(s) with very large maps a while ago (250x500 i believe):

- about a third to half of the AIs didnt move at all. nor did they ever settle.

and with more than 8 civs:

- you can play single player games with up to 32 civs. the colors (especially the green) will be hard to distinguish, but it will work. also i believe you can define the colors somewhere.
                    however, once you want to play with other people (hotseat, PBEM), you are always limited to 8 civs. at least i havent found a way around that yet.
                    correct in userprofile.txt you set to 32 (plus barbs IIRC) and yes the colors get used over and over

I found the same with the ai's going nowhere or doing nothing..

but once you trim map up they perform ok or seem to

Lets all keep posting and we will get somewhere keeping this game alive

Gramps

Comment

Working...
                    X