Massive maps and longer games???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive maps and longer games???

This is just a poll to see if there is anyone out there interested in longer games (700 turns) on really large maps (500x1000). As of right now I'm working on a 560x1040 map of Earth with a ratio of 10miles per tile. I need to know if there is any demand for this type of map since it's very time consuming and will require editing of unit characteristics to be implemented properly... just a thought...

OMNI

Problem:

Your pc will need as much memory, as you can put into it. Right now I'm playing on a 192x256 map with 11 civs.

Using all the best mods I can find (including the new AAIP - great, great grafics - see the gallon, it's better done than the ship-of-line - and the javelin....) it now takes 3-4 minutes pr. turn. And I have 96 Megs.

But you can bet there are demand for it - if I don't get a 128 Meg blok as a X-mas gift, then I'll buy on myself after NewYear - that's for sure.

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Problem:

Your pc will need as much memory, as you can put into it. Right now I'm playing on a 192x256 map with 11 civs.

Using all the best mods I can find (including the new AAIP - great, great grafics - see the galleon, it's better done than the ship-of-line - and the javelin....) it now takes 3-4 minutes pr. turn. And I have 96 Megs.

But you can bet there are demand for it - if I don't get a 128 Meg blok as a X-mas gift, then I'll buy on myself after NewYear - that's for sure.

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

60 hours - that's very fine indeed.

Earlier I often use 25-35 hours on a CIV II game and now (CTP) the double on a normal game - even when I seldom finish the game.

OK - I wrote it before: I'm slow. Like to think what I'm doing before I do it.

Same as in the RTS AgesOfEmipire, where my best score was about 650 on the Zone (DevineMe) - where I lost because of too much thinking.

Gandhi

Comment

So far it doesn't appear to be any real problem... the test map has 21 civs and measures the full 560x1080 and I'm running only on 128Mb... sure the game is slowed, approx 2-4 per computer turns but life isn't that fast either.... the game should take about 60 hours to complete... isn't something this good worth wasting 60 hours to play especially if there is a real realism factor involved....

OMNI

Comment

There's gonna be a delay for my map, but I hope to have it prepared for the 31st but my fingers are crossed... hopefully it goes over well....

OMNI

Comment

Originally posted by OmniGod
              So far it doesn't appear to be any real problem... the test map has 21 civs and measures the full 560x1080 and I'm running only on 128Mb... sure the game is slowed, approx 2-4 per computer turns but life isn't that fast either.... the game should take about 60 hours to complete... isn't something this good worth wasting 60 hours to play especially if there is a real realism factor involved....

OMNI
              I trust old Omnigod as he was very active..gonna have a go at how this works for an epic map

will let ya know

Gramps
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Hi guys, i'm new, can u tell me where can i find these maps, the idea of playing a massive 500x1000 map make me wonder and with 31 civs, wow, should be so fun! What can i do to take it?

I know for example how to edit the units properties to adapt them to different conditions, such as inccreasing or decreasing their movement or whatever... If u need to know... just check the units.txt in the gamedata folder...

Comment

I been making my own but you could check the download section of the call to power section on the main page of apolyton...maps are there..not sure of the largest map however..

Peace and good luck

Gramps

Comment

You'll find CtP1 maps online here and here, but they're not particularly large (no larger than 140x100, if I'm not mistaken). OmniGod ended up releasing his very large maps only for CtP2, not for CtP1. If you want very large maps for CtP1, I'm afraid you'll have to make them yourself...
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

and then you will have to tweak with ai

I did one about 350 X 700 and 3 of ai literally wandered around never settled...

Thanks Locutus for the feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                        and then you will have to tweak with ai

I did one about 350 X 700 and 3 of ai literally wandered around never settled...
                        I believe CtP2 has some similar problems. Try making the map smaller. In CtP2, the largest maps Omni could make without causing AI problems was something like 210x210. You'll just have to fiddle with the size and maybe AI files to find the maximum for CtP1...
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

I believe CtP2 has some similar problems. Try making the map smaller. In CtP2, the largest maps Omni could make without causing AI problems was something like 210x210. You'll just have to fiddle with the size and maybe AI files to find the maximum for CtP1...
                          Thanks for the feedback

which, through trial and error I ended up coing to that conclusion..

Gramps

Comment

Which AI problems could I encounter if i make a very large map?
                            And also how do i make one?

Anyway thank u for the help

Comment

Oh yeah, another thing yet!
                              Why do my downloaded world map 24 and stuff saved games doesnt work? How can i make them work?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X