Civ 2 Style game editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 2 Style game editor

In civ2 you could just go into the rules.txt file when you wanted to screw with your game and presto, it was done.

Does anybody know if there is a way to do this in civ 3, because I seriously need to change some of the game values, ESPECIALLY CORRUPTION ! Thanks for all your help.

Uhhh, have you tried the Civilization III Editor that comes with the game (or updated in any patch)?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
      Uhhh, have you tried the Civilization III Editor that comes with the game (or updated in any patch)?

seriously
      Make sure you are using 1.29.
      go to the civ3edit program, should be in the same directory in the start menu as civ3.

enjoy. you can change most everything about the game.
      The expansion will let you change even more.

corruption can really suck, and a lot of people have changed some of the values.

Try increasing the number of optimal cities.

you can also add the corruption fighting flag to improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
        Try increasing the number of optimal cities.
        I increased mine by 50% on each map size.
        BTW Hamburgler, this also makes it so you cannot build your forbidden palace as early.

But unless you use the Editor to wipe out corruption totally, you will probably find that at some point, in most games, you will still have to deal with high (almost total) corruption/waste in less developed cities. Especially if you are the conquering type.

Remember: WLTKD, Courthouses & Police Stations are your friends.

Comment

Increasing the Optimal Cities also makes the AIs build more cities as they like to have around the optimal number (and never more than about 1.5 times that number).

I find that using the corruption sliders has less unwanted side effects, just more cash and shields for everyone.

In additon, make sure you are using the right government for the situation. Civ3's Democracy is wrong for large far-flung empires, consider Communism instead. Your $ and tech will be less but I often find that I can get twice the shields and consequently culture (because the fringe or off continent towns can build the cultrue producing buildings quickly) out of it. I will freely admit that this doesn't match real world expectations of Democracy or Communism, but that's the way it works in the game.

Have you done all the traditional corruption fighting techniques? Courthouse, Police Station, connection to the capital, and WLTKD all lower corruption.
          Seemingly Benign
          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Yah, that's all great thanks.

BTW I have a friend who has a burned version of the game. It doesn't seem to include an editor, I could have just missed it, or more probably it doesn't come with the burned version. Is there a mod i can download that will lower corruption or something? Any suggestions would really help my friend .

Comment

tell your friend if he actually buys the game then his problems will be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                Increasing the Optimal Cities also makes the AIs build more cities as they like to have around the optimal number (and never more than about 1.5 times that number).
                I probably should have mentioned that not a pleasant suprise.

If you don't buy the game, then I don't have much sympathy for the corruption problems. you'll just have to search around this site for tips.

Comment

I use the editor to add the "reduce corruption" flag to granaries and temples (two buildings I put in every city anyway) because I abhor the corruption problem. It's made my games much more enjoyable.
                  Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

IMO corruption IS part of the game.
                    Without corruption, the strongest civ, just gets on getting stronger. IE unstoppable.

Corruption/waste is a very vital part of a 'balanced' game.
                    (Grant you , it can be a drag )
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

IMO corruption IS part of the game.
                      Without corruption, the strongest civ, just gets on getting stronger. IE unstoppable.

Corruption/waste is a very vital part of a 'balanced' game.
                      (Grant you , it can be a drag )
                      I agree. I have however added a city hall improvement that also lowers corruption.

It's made my games much more enjoyable.
                      That's what it is all about.

----

Your friend can probably find a corruption mod here by using the search function on this forum.
                      For your photo needs:
                      http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that the updated editor came in the patch?

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                          I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that the updated editor came in the patch?
                          correct. 1.29 was mostly an editor patch, IIRC.

So he will have to either find the editor or find a completed mod, I suppose, or buy the frickin game.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

correct. 1.29 was mostly an editor patch, IIRC.

So he will have to either find the editor or find a completed mod, I suppose, or buy the frickin game.
                            Yeah, the 1.29 patch made modding much easier for the casual gamer (case in point).

I agree that he should just cough up the cash and buy the game - heck, forty bucks for endless hours of diversion is a pretty cheap entertainment expense, if you ask me.
                            Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

Idiot.

He has a cracked version so he can't update his version with any of the patches. Not that I care.

Comment

Working...
                              X