We =need= ships!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We =need= ships!

I think there is another continent North-East of the English City of Warwick. Look at the sea and ocean tiles.

Let's build some ships ASAP. We'll get Astronomy in a few turns, and when we do, the ships should already be in position. A RoP with England may be necessary.

With Astronomy, we can safely travel on sea squares with our Galleys. And we'll be able to build Caravels.

Remember: the profits that we can make from First Contact with the Lost Civs are HUGE.
    Greatest moments in cat:

Hear hear, I have long been an advocate for the construction of a navy (even the much-debated suicide galley idea has it's benefits) to explore the rest of the world.

Remember, there is still one nation out there that is (dare I say it) larger than us, and I'm sure many of our current enemies would lay prostrate before our feet if we discovered the missing civz first.

I think west of the Romans is the best area to look for them, or east of our newly conquered Persian lands...
    Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
    Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

There should be what, at LEAST three more civz out there, if not more?
      Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
      Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

There are 12 known Civs. I think this leaves Four.
        Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

We do need ships. Once we have communications with other civs we are rich
          For your photo needs:
          http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Re: We =need= ships!

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
            I think there is another continent North-East of the English City of Warwick. Look at the sea and ocean tiles.

Let's build some ships ASAP. We'll get Astronomy in a few turns, and when we do, the ships should already be in position. A RoP with England may be necessary.
            If there WAS a continent connected to Britain by sea they should have already made contact.

I believe we should launch from the Greek Island as large islands tend to point to the nearest continent.

Comment

Re: Re: We =need= ships!

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

If there WAS a continent connected to Britain by sea they should have already made contact.

I believe we should launch from the Greek Island as large islands tend to point to the nearest continent.
              Do you have any clue how many RoP's that's going to require?
              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

If you wanna get ships man, just post an off.poll containing:
                - How many ships do we need to build. choose: {0,1,2,3...,n}

They have to follow the people's voice then.
                My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

PlagueRat,

While this is true, the current CoL requires that any official poll have a discussion thread to discuss the matter first and arrive at some form of agreement on what the variuos options should be

Comment

Re: Re: Re: We =need= ships!

Originally posted by Arnelos

Do you have any clue how many RoP's that's going to require?
                    Yes, ZERO

We don't put anybody on them and they'll never force you to leave just keep asking.

However, if we had Astornomy and could navigate sea tiles it would be zero and we would never enter their culture space as we have open sea all the way to the farthest edge of the Grecos (the Greek Island).

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: We =need= ships!

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Yes, ZERO

We don't put anybody on them and they'll never force you to leave just keep asking.

However, if we had Astornomy and could navigate sea tiles it would be zero and we would never enter their culture space as we have open sea all the way to the farthest edge of the Grecos (the Greek Island).
                      I'm not looking at the map at the moment so I don't know how far AI borders currently extend, but I know for a fact that "sea" tiles can be covered by culture-influenced border radius... which means we WOULD be moving through their territory. It's only if we were moving on "ocean" tiles that we wouldn't (ocean tiles are never inside any civ's territory).

That said, we *could* do what you describe with the boat moving through their territories... but doesn't that mean we take a diplomatic hit every single stupid turn we have a boat in their territory?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
                        PlagueRat,

While this is true, the current CoL requires that any official poll have a discussion thread to discuss the matter first and arrive at some form of agreement on what the variuos options should be

Sorry, you are right. I forgot.
                        So this thread could be considered such an "option-matter thread then" ? I've presented some options.
                        But that was only numbers of ships to be made.
                        Could that be any good options?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlagueRat

Sorry, you are right. I forgot.
                          So this thread could be considered such an "option-matter thread then" ? I've presented some options.
                          But that was only numbers of ships to be made.
                          Could that be any good options?
                          Options could include where we're proposing that the ships be built (though that could be a second poll with options for where). Other than that, the thrust of this thread would suggest that we're really just looking at a number of ships for this mission.

Comment

Guess we'll have to make two polls then...

1 Where and when?
                            2. How many and how? (rush or prod)

Something like that...

Comment

Ships before Astronomy and the ability to traverse at least sea? Yuck.

Why not try to urge the acquisition of Astronomy/Navigation as quickly as possible? I think this is a good idea (but after Gunpowder, naturally), and would support this. Once we can do some travelling beyond our pathetic coast-bound Galleys I would like to see some ships around.
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X