this combat system has to **GO**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this combat system has to **GO**

this may or may not have been posted before, but i feel the need to gripe.

Knights should be NO match for Riflemen.

i've even had spearmen succesfully defend against tanks...

just wanted to piss and moan about the step backwards in combat systems...
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Yes, it has all been posted to death. The computer does not see a knight or a spearman, it sees a unit with an attack value of 4 facing a unit with a defense of 6. Battles are random affairs, and statistically unlikely events are still statistically possible. Just live with it.
    Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

Step back from what?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

You know, there is something called an editor...

Comment

Cheer up it was a lot worse before the patches IMO. You just get use to it and only occassionally scream.

Comment

Re: this combat system has to **GO**

Originally posted by self biased
            this may or may not have been posted before, but i feel the need to gripe.

Knights should be NO match for Riflemen.

Why not? Those are single shot rifles. Come out of the woods from behind and you have dead rifleman. The odds are a bit unrealistic though.

i've even had spearmen succesfully defend against tanks...
            Seen it ONCE in a nearly a year of playing. I proceeded to grind it under the treads of the next tank.

just wanted to piss and moan about the step backwards in combat systems...
            Firaxis decided it was necassary to give backwards civs a chance since they added strategic resources. That way numbers can be used to make up for a lack of iron or saltpeter. Not sure it was such good idea myself but I can live with it.

Comment

IMHO if you care or it is significant that you lose a tank to a spearman or rifleman to a knight, you have probably made a strategic error. You have to plan for the worst. Most of my losses are simply because I didn't take the time to build a few more military units in key locations.

Comment

I've had three enemy regular spearman in a size 6 city make 3 of my tanks retreat ( i.e. down to 1 hp ) and killed one. None of the spearman went down to 1hp. Luckily through strategic forethought, I'd dispatched 10 tanks or so just to defeat those 3 spearman and the remaining tanks made mincemeat out of them

In that case it was fine but the time when I'm desperate to grab what I can with full rampant WW and 4 vet tanks on full health all retreated or died when attacking a size 4 city with 2 regular spearman. That's when I can sympathise with the topic above. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh is often what comes to mind.

Comment

I usually don't have problems killing riflemans with cavalry or infantries with tanks. Sometimes odd results happen but in my experience only in rare ocasions.

I see no fundamental flaw in the combat system. It isn't perfect, but who wants exact calculations for battles? That would be boring. Like in real life, strange situations could occur. War is not mathematics.
                  "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                  --George Bernard Shaw
                  A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                  --Woody Allen

Comment

biased--

It sounds like you are ignoring terrain. I don't see anything wrong in combat, but you have to pay attention to rivers!! It is worth it to take an extra turn to avoid attacking across a river.

--PF

Comment

this combat system has to **GO**
                      Keep dreamin, pal. That is how the combat system works in CivIII. Either you learn to live with it, or you go play another game. I'm not trying to be nasty, but that's the truth. The combat system will not change, therefore you must accept it in order to play the game. If it ruins the game for you, you are not alone. Others (many of them, repeatedly) have registered the same complaint as you.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

easy, guys... i love the game, and yes i know that's-how-it-is-so-i'll-just-have-to-tighten-up-the-old-belt-and-take-it-like-a-man, but you're taking this just a wee bit out of context... i had lost five cities each defended by at least two riflemen apeice, to knights so chill out... i'm going to pawning my copy of the game and go on an anti-civ 3 rap... i just wanted to complain and comizzerate.
                        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

1) Civ2 option: All units are exponentially better than their less advanced counterparts. While "realistic," Anybody with a tech lead can wipe anybody else off the map with essentially no challenge. Result: Very, very easy game and wimpy AI.

2) Civ3 option: All units are arithmatically better than their less advanced counterparts. While "unrealistic," all players have a chance, strategy must actually be utilized instead of raw tech advantage, and the gameplay is vastly improved.

Firaxis chose option 2. So would I.
                          Lime roots and treachery!
                          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I always just figured that as you progress through the ages your older units get some makeshift enhancements that at least give them some small chance against modern units. Like giving swordsmen molotov cocktails or grenades or something.

Comment

or have it like it is apparently in Brian Reynolds' new game "Rise of Nations" where the units auto-uprade as time goes on to avoid this kind of problem.

Oh hang on, I'm not supposed to mention "Rise of Nations"? Dang. Said it again! Oops!

Comment

Working...
                              X