Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did both Napoleon and Hitler fail to defeat Russia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian women are so ugly that French and German troops lost the will to fight. Why bother.

God have mercy on this deluded lost soul.

UGLY:
    Attached Files
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Many causes why Hitler lost.

He attacked too late in the year and thus had his troops face incredible hardships because of his stubborness.

He constantly interfered in military decisions, often overriding his generals when he felt the need. Example of this was that one of the panzer generals was pushing hell for leather for Moscow but was told to turn back and help in the encirclement of prisoners. Result - lots of prisoners captured ( millions even ) but Moscow was fortified and reinforced before the Germans eventually got there.

He forced Germany to fight a war on two fronts, by leaving England still in the fight he seriously degraded his striking power that he could have used against Russia.

Supply of troops was hard, transferring stuff by rail was hard as rail gauge for Europe & Russia is different - Europe is standard gauge & Russia wide IIRC.

Finally,

Originally posted by Serb

Originally posted by jimmytrick
      He refused to allow tactical retreat or defensive measures.
      In memouirs of one very high ranked German general who served in feildmarshal von Kluge HQ iirc, I've read that he consider that this Hitler's decision SAVED German army from collapse. He says that if Hitler didn't gave this order Wermach would shared the fate of great Napoleon army.
      Yes I read about this too somewhere else, Hitler in forcing his troops to hold their ground prevented them from routing and kept the Wehrmacht from collapsing. However, by this action even though he saved the army structure he condemned tens of thousands or hundred thousands of german men to injury or death. He saved the army itself but lost half the men doing so. Ouch.

Comment

Hitlers failure could attributed to the failure of the pro-German Yugoslav government to maintain power. Germany had to invade Yugoslavia pushing back the Russian invasion five weeks. With those five weeks, the Germans would have surely taken Moscow. Stalin would have been forced to sue for peace.
        If this had not happened, then the Germans would not have invaded Greece, meaning that British could probably have taken Tripoli and wrapped up North Africa. From there, the Greeks could be reinforced even more and Italy would probably be forced out of Albania.

Then what happens? As has been said, Germany's airforce would be in better shape, but it's units would also be less experienced, and they may still have a belief in the utility of paratroops, perhaps using them at a key battle, only to find out that paratroops are not as effective as one might think.

Britain is not tied up fighting Rommel in North Africa, and is able to mess about somewhere else. I doubt an invasion of France by Britain alone is on the cards though. A strike against Norway, or maybe Italy. Liberating Norway would certainly help supplies reach Russia. Rommel, meanwhile, is able to work his magic on the Eastern Front.

That's as far as I can see, I'm afraid.

Comment

I'm not sure I buy that timeline. Hitler decided to invade Greece before the coup (to rescue Musssolini), it was only a matter of whether or not Yugoslavia would cooperate with his troops moving through the country. Conquering Yugoslavia only added a few days to the schedule. So with no coup Germany and Italy still end up in control of Greece by about the same date, with Yugoslavia on board as another junior member of the Axis.

If Mussolini had never invaded Greece in the first place, or had been successful, things would have been different. If Italy never invaded I doubt Greece would break neutrality by inviting in the British; they could seet the likely results in Western Europe. If Italy's invasion of mainland Greece was successful, I doubt they could take over all the islands and Crete for example would probably remain in British hands.

Comment

Easy: The "Russian Winter" causes double attrition damage to invading enemy troops. This, combined with their ability to gather oil 10% faster than anyone else, makes them very tough to invade.

Comment

Germany lost to the USSR for a variety of reasons; poor planning and Hitler's interference are the main ones though.

Napoleon lost for one reason: He fought the war with Russia like he fought every other war. March for territory, live off the land, and threaten the enemy's capital. Unfortunately the Russian Army and the Russian nation weren't defeated yet, so Napoleon ended up losing. He figured if he took Moscow (like he had done with Berlin and nearly Vienna about a half dozen times) then Russia would capitulate. If he had known better, then he would have accounted for all of the other problems that popped up.

Comment

I'm not sure I buy that timeline. Hitler decided to invade Greece before the coup (to rescue Musssolini), it was only a matter of whether or not Yugoslavia would cooperate with his troops moving through the country. Conquering Yugoslavia only added a few days to the schedule. So with no coup Germany and Italy still end up in control of Greece by about the same date, with Yugoslavia on board as another junior member of the Axis.
                Ah, well then I'm mostly wrong then. Still, it was an enormous blunder not taking Tripoli when we had the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                  Hitler didnt assemble enought divisions. He could have taken Moscow on the first attempt. He also could have invaded 21 days earlier.
                  No he couldn't have. It rains in May in Russia and the country turns to mud. It takes several weeks for the country to dry out enough for trucks to be able to drive on Russian dirt roads. Had the invasion been launched any sooner, the armor would have quickly outpaced their resupply ability, the Soviets would have counter-attacked, and Germany would have been defeated in 1941.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                    Russian women start out gorgeous, then the get older. Krupskaya was a total babe in her youth. Russia is hard on its women.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

UGLY:
                      But she looks like a drunken German grabbed a housefrau one cold night.

Comment

Russian women start out gorgeous, then the get older.
                        agreed!
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Geramny had to divert troops to Greece because Italy failed to capture Greece.

That slowed the invasion of Germany to Russia. And Hitler did it in the harsh winter.

I'm not saying that if it wasnt done in winter Germany would have won.

Im saying that we did help the russians by defeating Italy and (unfortunately) forcing Germany to assist them and delay them.

Yes after that dodecanese passed from Italy to Greece. Also S. Albania would have also passed to Greece but it didnt. Greece had 2/3s of Albania in its command sicne the Greco-Italian war happened mainly in Albania.

Comment

And Im pretty sure that were it not for Italy attacking Greece, Greece would not have been involved in that war.

It was a pissing contest between England and Germany for which many countries suffered from it. Yugoslavia also.

Comment

"It rains in May in Russia and the country turns to mud. "

Beat me to it..

In Russia May is worse than November as far as mechanised forces are concerned...though I would hesitate to go quite so far as to say Germany loses in '41!

As for Greece, as Paiktis says, they had no intention on getting involved...Metaxas refused Churchills offer of support because he didn't want to annoy the Germans, so there's no reason to assume he (or his successor) would suddenly declare war.

Now...Napoleon....

Strangelove said something earlier about heading for St Petersburg, and Napoleon's fear of the coast (or words to that effect)...the main reason for not going for St Petersburg as the main thrust (there was a force sent that way, Bavarians mainly, as a flanking guard) was that there is a very large fortress in the way at Riga, which is not easy tp besiege because of its sea access (in fact it would have been impossible).

Trip brings up an important point about Napoleon...he always, always, ALWAYS went for the capital on the basis that the enemy would then surrender...and everytime it failed! Everytime he had to fight one more battle (at least) before that country surrendered (Austerlitz, Friedland, Wagram). He never learnt...and finally in Russia (and Spain) he came a cropper when he simply ran out of strength to fight that final battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tolls
                                As for Greece, as Paiktis says, they had no intention on getting involved...Metaxas refused Churchills offer of support because he didn't want to annoy the Germans, so there's no reason to assume he (or his successor) would suddenly declare war.
                                He also refused the offer by Italy and Germany to join their side.

Comment

Working...
                                X