Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Just In: Iraq Concedes to Inspections...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Just In: Iraq Concedes to Inspections...

I just pulled this off the Washington Post

Here's the text:

Iraq to Accept Weapons Inspectors

By Dafna Linzer
    Associated Press Writer
    Monday, September 16, 2002; 6:55 PM

UNITED NATIONS –– Iraq unconditionally accepted the return of U.N. weapons inspectors late Monday, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said.

"I can confirm to you that I have received a letter from the Iraqi authorities conveying its decision to allow the return of inspectors without conditions to continue their work."

"There is good news," Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri said moments earlier.

Sabri and Arab League chief Amr Moussa met late with Annan and transmitted a letter from the Iraqi government on the inspectors' return.

Under Security Council resolutions, sanctions imposed on Iraq after its 1990 invasion of Kuwait cannot be lifted until U.N. inspectors certify that its weapons of mass destruction have been destroyed. Inspectors left the country four years ago ahead of U.S. and British airstrikes to punish Iraq for not cooperating with inspections.

Since then, Iraq has refused to allow inspectors to return, and the stalemate had split the United States, Britain, Russian, France and China – the five powerful members of the U.N. Security Council.

The turnabout in Iraq, after four years of stalemate, came days after President Bush addressed the U.N. General Assembly debate and said that Iraq must comply with Security Council resolutions or face the consequences.

Annan credited Bush late Monday.

"I believe the president's speech galvanized the international community," Annan said.

There was no immediate response from the White House. Top Bush aides huddled after Annan's announcement, preparing a response.

Annan said the Arab league had played a key role in bringing about the Iraqi response.

Annan thanked the league's chief, Amr Moussa of Egypt, "for his strenouous efforts in helping to convince Iraq to allow the return of the inspectors."

© 2002 The Associated Press
    To bomb, or not to bomb, that is the question...
    If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

A day late and a dollar short...

Just another stall tactic by the Iraq. If anybody really believes that Iraq will really unconditionally allow weapons inspectors to go where ever they want to, and to show them everything they want to see...

I have some land in Florida I want to sell you...

(this is the same promise they made after they lost the war... and we know how well they kept their word then)
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ooh, this can't be good for Bush n' Blair.

Maybe they can bomb Japan instead...

Comment

Ming- why do Iraq want to stall? Aren't they just delaying the inevitable?

Comment

Buildup of munitions? Training of soldiers?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ah.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                When would you prefer to be executed, now or a week from now?
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                  Nahhh... they figure by allowing it now, it will make it harder for Bush to get his allies together... and delay action by the US. When the inspectors show up, he will lead them on merry goose chase and eventually show them nothing and claim that he lived up to his end of the bargin (exactly like he did before)...

This is a purely political stunt, and has nothing to do with actually allowing the inspections. It buys him time to attempt to further disrupt any grand coalition.

And while I am laughing, if I were in his shoes, and facing down the barrel of a US invasion... I would do exactly what he is doing.
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

If true, this is a master stroke for Saddam. Taken before the UN acts it will give him time to put off and then we will be back at square one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      A day late and a dollar short...
                      Actually, it was flawless timing. This stops Bush in his warhawk tracks. He gambled on Saddam being stupid enough to keep resisting when he gave up the "go it along" strat and took it to the U.N.

Of course, Saddam isn't stupid (just a ruthless ass***, amongst other things), and this will stall an invasion, or failing that, cause the Arab world to flock to his "side" in the event of U.S. Forces actually landing on Iraqi soil.

Although that won't make a whit of difference to the end result, it'll just perpetuate the somewhat justified dislike of the U.S. in the remainder of the world.

Not particularly an unexpected result to me. As soon as I heard about Bush's U.N. speech, I knew this was coming.
                      Fitz. (n.) Old English
                      1. Child born out of wedlock.
                      2. Bastard.

Comment

Iraq has their dirty laundry tucked away, you can bet your bottom dollar.
                        That, and just another stall tactic, as Ming pointed out.

And it isn't 4 years, it's 10+ years.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Fitz
                          Actually, it was flawless timing.
                          And I agree...

My day late and a dollar short comment was implying that he should have done this A LONG TIME ago if he was really serious about it... but we know he's not.

A perfect stall tactic!
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Bush forced his hand pure and simple. He is a master stratagest. Now if Sadam plays games again then it will be bombs away...

Comment

Bush is indeed a master of strategery.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X