Questions to Modders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions to Modders

[list=1][*]How is possible to localize (translate), w/out damages, Modpack that can be found on Poly?[*]Does exist a SLIC editor/full guide?[*]Why when a wonder is completed its name does not appear in message window?[*]It's possible to mix 2 or more mode? (i.e. City Expansion with Visible Wonders)[/list=1]
    Aslo the gods are impotent against men's stupidity --Frederich Shiller
    In my vocabulary the word "Impossible" doesn't exist --Napoleon
    Stella Polaris Development Team -> Senior Code Writer (pro tempore) & Designer

Re: Questions to Modders

Originally posted by Vultur
    1. How is possible to localize (translate), w/out damages, Modpack that can be found on Poly?
    Just replace all the strings in the language files of the mod and put them into your language folder. For example if you download the ApolytonPack you will find files in a folder called ..\ctp2_data\english\gamedata\ and files with identical names but with different content in a folder called ..\ctp2_data\german\gamedata\. I think it should be now clear what to do. of course you don't need to translate everything, you just have to translate the stuff that was added and add it to the files of your own localized version of CTP2. In comparision to Civ3's editor renaming feature the game want crash if you did something wrong you would get only an error message or something would look wrong in the game.

2. Does exist a SLIC editor/full guide?
    You can use any text editor of your choice to edit slic, I recomment EditPlus2 as there is a syntax on Locutus' homepage. There you can find some usefull slic documentation of Slic1, actual made for CTP1 but also useful for CTP2. Check out the Apolyton Modification Pages for further documentaions. And finally here you can find some usefull information, too.

3. Why when a wonder is completed its name does not appear in message window?
    It doesn't say the name of a wonder when you have built it? Here are the complete wonder messages from the Englich and the German version you can find them in the info_str.txt in your ..\ctp2_data\[your language folder]\gamedata\ directory. Both strings contain the wonder strings. I don't know how the string looks like in other versions of CTP2.

WONDER_COMPLETE_OWNER "Our empire's greatness manifests itself in the work of our people!! {city[0].name} has completed {wonder[0].name#ARTICLE} {wonder[0].name}!"

WONDER_COMPLETE_OWNER "Die Überlegenheit unserer Nation findet Bestätigung in dem Werk unseres Volkes: In der Stadt {city[0].name} wurde {wonder[0].name#ARTICLE_SMALL} fertig gestellt!"
    4. It's possible to mix 2 or more mode? (i.e. City Expansion with Visible Wonders)
    Yes, actual these particular mods are designed to be used together, but can also be used without the other one. Presuming you do some minor modifications. For the bigger mods like Cradle, ApolytonPack or MedPack you have to make a lot of modifications to merge them. Actual this is not worth the effort, and the result would be questionable. GoodMod is designed to be used as an add on for ApolytonPack, MedPack2 or CityMod2.

Pedrun works on version of the City Expansion mod for ApolytonPack, and GoodMod. For the City Expansion code it is expected that it will be part of the next version of Cradle, Visible Wonders Mod as well.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

The visi wonder and the city expansion were at first IW's code and both were being worked simultaneously. But things didnt went really nicely with the IW's city expansion so i thought i could give it a shot. That was when they split. The wonder code was released while i was still working in the city expansion. They are stand alone codes but the problem is that the wonder were being replaced by cities of my code while it grews up. In a few days I will subimit the version 2.2 of the city expansion mod with the addons for the apolyton pack, goodmod and Visi wonders
      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
      Kill all and you are a God!"
      -Jean Rostand

Comment

First of all thank for your replies.
        Some addition question:
        You can use any text editor of your choice to edit slic
        Yes, I know, but I wondering if someone has programmed a "specialized" editor for SLIC as, for example, Faction Editor in SMACX.
        What is the difference between {wonder[0].name#ARTICLE} and {wonder[0].name#ARTICLE_SMALL} ?
        Pedrun works on version of the City Expansion mod for ApolytonPack, and GoodMod. For the City Expansion code it is expected that it will be part of the next version of Cradle, Visible Wonders Mod as well.
        So it's theoricaly possible to merge your City Expansion with Diplomod or similar manualy...
        Ok, but how to do?
        Aslo the gods are impotent against men's stupidity --Frederich Shiller
        In my vocabulary the word "Impossible" doesn't exist --Napoleon
        Stella Polaris Development Team -> Senior Code Writer (pro tempore) & Designer

Comment

So it's theoricaly possible to merge your City Expansion with Diplomod or similar manualy...
          Ok, but how to do?
          Yes and quite easily. In wich mod do you want to add to? Or do you want to use with the original game? Just name it and i give the instructions.
          Yes, I know, but I wondering if someone has programmed a "specialized" editor for SLIC as, for example, Faction Editor in SMACX.
          The one i use is the editplus but you gotta add the slic configuration. Both files are in this thread.
          Last edited by Pedrunn; September 17, 2002, 13:03.
          "Kill a man and you are a murder.
          Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
          Kill all and you are a God!"
          -Jean Rostand

Comment

What is the difference between {wonder[0].name#ARTICLE} and {wonder[0].name#ARTICLE_SMALL} ?
            Both are string reverences: For example you find these two string in the English gl_str.txt:

WONDER_PYRAMIDS "Pyramids"
            WONDER_PYRAMIDS_ARTICLE "the"

In the German version of the str_loc.txt you find this string.

WONDER_PYRAMIDS_ARTICLE_SMALL "die Pyramide"

Now if the wonder that was build are the Pyramids then wonder[0].name is replaced by WONDER_PYRAMIDS, that is a string variable and afterwards the brackets are closed it will be replaced by its content in the English version Pyramids, in the English text you have two string variables. The article variable that access the seperate article and the wonder itself string variable. The first part of the article variable is replaced by the according wonder variable and the strings are put together so that you have WONDER_PYRAMIDS_ARTICLE and the article will appear in the message.

I think there won't be an editor for slic. Slic is a programming language even it is not perfect. But J Bytheway started to program an advance CTP1/2 text file editor CTPEd. Unfortunatly it is still in beta stage.

-Martin
            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
            X