Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elections and the Electoral College

Electoral College- keep it or trash it?

I perfer to get rid of it and replace it with a pure popular vote, especialy after the election in florida,

/RANT ON/

GORE SHOULD"VE WON.

/RANT OFF/

Leave it as is
    32.43%
    Modify it
    21.62%
    Trash it- Popular vote
    45.95%
    Bannana Shake (don't care)
    0.00%

Keep the Electoral College, modify it to give the electoral votes (in each state) to whomever wins the state's congressional districts.
    "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Keep it, but cut each state's EC votes by 1.

Alternatively, Kyle's idea sounds fine (with those last 2 votes going to the winner of the popular vote in that state).
      oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Toss it!
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Popular vote = proportional representation?

If so then yes, and hopefully we'll follow suit.

Comment

Keep it. Its a good system that makes rural areas and states actually count. I mean if it were all popular vote. Bush and Gore never would of went to Wyoming or South Dakota.

Just imagine how neglected alaska would feel?

Comment

Either toss it or modify it. Right now its far too easy to just use money to win through it.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

This thread would get lots more attention if the title were done up in "Engrish"....call it Erections and the Erectoral college....you'll get lots more responses....

-=Vel=-
                The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by leftover_crack
                  Keep it. Its a good system that makes rural areas and states actually count. I mean if it were all popular vote. Bush and Gore never would of went to Wyoming or South Dakota.

Just imagine how neglected alaska would feel?
                  Yet another person that thinks some people are more equal than others.

Comment

Keep the Electoral College, modify it to give the electoral votes (in each state) to whomever wins the state's congressional districts.

This is the best solution. Getting rid of the Electoral College would make most states irrelevant in presidential elections.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Yet another person that thinks some people are more equal than others.

I suppose you think that the Senate is a bad idea as well...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

"Yet another person that thinks some people are more equal than others."

So your saying that people who live in LA are more important than those who live in Klidedale Wyoming?

Elaborate...

Comment

If we had had a direct polpular vote In 2000, you would have seen the recounts and lawsuits that happened in the seven counties in Florida in every county of every state. nationwide there was close to 1,000,000 votes (most of them slow mail in votes) not counted, without $miilions of extra lawsuites, because they were not going to swing their states, if it had been direct popular vote, we would still be in litatgation today.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

People seem to often to forget and blow off rural people. They are extrememly important. Its important the candidates pass through and make promises for them also.

Popular vote will do nothing except concentrate candidate's on cities and downtowns. Not States..Why would Gore go to Klidesdale if the population is only 3,000? Why would he even go to Cheyenne? A population of only 200,000? When candidates have to win states and not just a crowd of urban centers its more fair.

Comment

Originally posted by leftover_crack
                              "Yet another person that thinks some people are more equal than others."

So your saying that people who live in LA are more important than those who live in Klidedale Wyoming?

Elaborate...
                              I am not saying that at all since I am for a popular vote which would result in ONE MAN ONE VOTE.

YOU are saying people in Klidedale Wyoming are somehow deserving of more political power than a person in LA. That is what the present Electoral College system does. It gives more power to people in small states. Something they have in the Senate allready.

Comment

Working...
                              X