Historical Finger Pointing, Issue I: World War I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Finger Pointing, Issue I: World War I

Welcome to the first in what I hope will be a grand tradition (copyright Boris Godunov 2002) of laying the blame!

That's right, it's time for unabashed finger pointing at just who was responsible for history's great tragedies and stupidities. No need to confine yourself to pleasantries here...just rant on which party was culpable! No personal insults to other posters, of course.

Our first issue is a biggie. It's World War I, that cataclysmic eruption of human stupidity that cost millions of lives, resolved nothing and ultimately probably led to the even bigger catastrophe of World War II.

History blamed the Germans, as they lost, and to the victors go the spoils and the right to assign blame. But lately, people are taking a more pan-condemning approach, lessening Germany's culpability and pointing out how all the powers were responsible for the mess.

Well, forget about such niceties! We want to assign blame here, and so I ask you: Who was the most culpable nation? If you feel so inclined, state why as well.

Here is a succinct view of how I understand the blame game goes, meant to express my own ideas, not what should be used as a basis for your own opinion:

1. Austria-Hungary.

They had been sticking their pointy helmets into the affairs of the Balkans for some time. Their belligerent and unreasonable ultimatum to Serbia was meant to precipitate a war, although they had no idea how big it would become. They started it!

2. France.

France had been itching for payback against Germany ever since the Franco-Prussian war. Their war declaration was really unprovoked, and it was their desire for revenge and to regain Alsace-Lorraine that drove them to combat. They started it!

3. Germany.

Germany pushed Austria to be unreasonable with Serbia, so they wouldn't look weak. They had every intention of starting a war so they could flex their military might. They had been preparing for years, with the build up of their Navy and the Von Schleiffen plan. Plus, we all know Germans are warmongers. They started it!

4. Great Britain.

The Limeys were also eager for a war, if just to put Germany in her proper place. Germany's naval build-up had rankled the Brits greatly, and they were also in a snit over Germany's aggressive stance with France in Morocco. The Brits only declared war so they could get in a tumble with the Germans and cut them down to size. They started it!

5. Russia.

Russia was stinging from losses again Japan in 1905 and in the Crimean war as well. She was desperate to demonstrate she was still a first-rate military power, and to also stem the rampant discontent among the people against the monarchy. What's more, she felt Austria greatly threatened her interests in controlling the Balkans, and wanted a chance to smack them around a bit. Russia egged on Serbia and instigated the war through their desire for power. They started it!

6. Serbia.

Serbian radicals murdered the Archduke, and the Serbian government was intentionally evasive in its feet-dragging with Austria. They fostered the climate of war, and they were certain Russia would beat Austria quickly and then Serbia could continue to flex its muscles in the Balkans. They started it!

7. The United States

Hey, they can always get blamed for something, right? Perhaps increased U.S. military might and imperialism was threatening to the European powers, driving their ambitions abroad and increasing tensions on the continent to unbearable levels. It's a stretch. They started it!

8. Others.

Canada? Mexico? Finland? Banana Republic? You tell me who started it!

So, let the blaming begin!
    Austria-Hungary
    34.00%
    France
    6.00%
    Germany
    18.00%
    Great Britian
    4.00%
    Russia
    10.00%
    Serbia
    12.00%
    United States
    8.00%
    Them other bananas
    8.00%
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

THe Germans may have been enablers of the war, but it was the hawks in Vienna, like Chief of Staff Conrad, who wanted war with Serbia to teach those South Slavs a lesson.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

When in trouble, blame France.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I blame the nationalism and imperialism (obviously this only applies to the imperial powers) on the part of the major powers.

Even if the Hapsburgs weren't dicking around in the Balkans, the war would've erupted eventually over an equally minor issue.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Ramo, no fair. We're talking MOST culpable. So go on and pick someone. BLAME, dammit!
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I think it pretty much had to be the Finns. Those shifty bastards have their dirty hands on everything. Stuff it, Nokia.

Now that's flaming and blaming!
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Ok, then the Ruskies and Krauts get the blame for turning a regional war into a world war.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

Germany's invasion of Belgium dragged UK into the war.

Comment

One account I read noted that Archduke Francis Ferdinand had argued for moderation in previous crises (and made himself unpopular). If he had been around to argue against war things might have gone differently.

There was a conspiracy theory at the time that Vienna had him murdered.

Comment

IIRC wasn't Ferdinand persona non grata at the Austrian Imperial court because he married a commoner?
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

It is all Bossman's fault.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

The Austrians started the war and the Germans made it a world war

I blame both, they are the same anyway

BTW, I like the way you wrote your intro Boris, very pasionate

Comment

Also IIRC, Russia was the first major power that mobilized against another major power...
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I want more bickering, though.

I vote for Great Britain. Imperialist limeys were ultimately to blame for everything. Isn't that right, Irish posters? Right. Blame them!!!
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

What a silly question/poll! Of *course* it was America's fault!

-=Vel=-
                              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X