Problems with civworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with civworld

I've just downloaded cygwin in order to be able to work with .bz2 files, re-downoaded the bunzip2 utility because it didn't come with the program, and unzipped civworld. (As I was doing this I was reading the how-to on the ftp site.) However, this is as far as I got. I can't use the "patch" command, or do anything further besides make a directory for civworld. What should I do? My "civworld" folder is blank, indicating that nothing I tried to do was successful... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why can't you use the patch command?

Comment

Cygwin keeps telling me it doesn't exist, i.e. "command not found."

Comment

However, I just found "patch" via playing around with the "setup" program, d-loaded it, and installed it. Now all I need is the "autogen.sh," which I can't find anywhere in "setup," and to know which source code to patch- I tried it on "freeciv-1.13.0.tar," and the machine yelled at me. I'll try it again tomorrow, maybe it's just being finicky.

Comment

Well, I figured it out. But you really should make a help section for Unix-illiterate people, something that says where to download Cygwin from, what to make sure you download with the Cygwin setup program (and no, default is not necessarily download), and to use PKZip or WinZip to open freeciv.tar.gz, after which downloading the patch into the same directory. And what to type in. Like I'm three, okay?

Comment

PS - I don't mean to sound offensive, I'm sorry if I just did, I know how you guys feel about obnoxious Windows users. But the windows people are not all going to be computer-savvy, like Unix people, and with such a good program for free (!), naturally your market is goins to expand, and the biggest market is Windows users. Nice start with the Windows version of the program itself, but for those people that are more advanced than "I just wanna play, tell me what to click" but not quite to the hacker-status of the Unix community, I would recommend a bit more detailed intro to the whole thing.

Comment

Wombat42,

Well, at least you don't let a few potholes in the road slow you down

I haven't tried Civworld under windows yet and would like to give it a try. Do you have some extra instructions/pointers to give me a running start?
              Last edited by CapTVK; September 8, 2002, 17:46.
              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
              X