Hidden Nationality SLICable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Nationality SLICable?

Anyone been playing Civ3 and see how privateers work? The hidden nationality lets you attack without declaring war or your enemy knowing who you are. it adds another challenge, mainly when you apply the ability to a ground unit and even bettera stealth bomber or submarine.

I know CTP2 has invisible units and great unconventional units, but is there something similar to this or even is this SLICable?
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

I imagine the unit's shield could be a stumbling block.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Even still the unit would be a good little addition to CtP2. A Naval special unit. Thats if it could be done
      Oxygen should be considered a drug
      Tiberian Sun Retro
      My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
      http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

Is there just the pirate ship in civ3 or also other units with hidden nationalities?

I gave this some thought and here's what I came up with:
        We create a new unit. I'll be civilian and hidden like spies so it can wander enemy territory without problems. Now, for the tricky part: Attack
        We'd use the following event to trigger this: SleepUnit(unit_t)
        When you select sleep for a hidden nationality unit a slic code wakes the unit again (so sleeping is actually disabled for those unit), looks for enemy unit in a square next to it and if found

1. kills it. ->Not desirable because no risks and no real battle. We could however adjust that and just give out hitpoints acording to strength - would make us write our own battle routine though.

2. possibility: it creates a barbarian unit that's supposed to attack. But can we tell a Barbarian unit to do one of those events during another players turn?
        Battle(army_t, location_t), StartCombat(army_t, location_t)
        other than that we could give it a move order:
        MovePathOrder(army_t, location_t)
        but would the barbarian ai perhaps change this? Or what if the the unit to be attacked moves before it's the barbarians turn (higly likely)

So who's got some insight into this?

Comment

MovePathOrder doesn't work it checks if it is possible to move to the target location, and if there is an enemy unit or city it doesn't work. BTW this slic event isn't used by the move order in the orders.txt.

Battle works, I didn't test StartCombat.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Going on what IW said about the unit shield, i guess as mapfi say's it's logical to make it a stealth unit like the spy, so it can only be spotted by specific enemy units. When you pirate a trade route for example, or if someone pirates yours - then you sometimes get a text box informing you of the event(i guess there is a % chance of detection somewhere in the trigger for those actions).You could just leave this trigger out so neither the player or the AI would know who performed it without actually having units in the location to spot the stealth unit.
            When you have a sub, you are pretty much invisible(and your shield),except to a few units - so no problem there. If it's possible to hide the units activities(like a spy spying or stealing tech), then it seems possible? Or maybe i'm not understanding how stealth units really work?
            Attack is a tricky one - i'm pretty sure you always know who it is who attacks you and visa-versa..........can't think of any exceptions But maybe it's just something that can be turned off?
            Last edited by child of Thor; September 1, 2002, 11:28.
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor Attack is a tricky one - i'm pretty sure you always know who it is who attacks you and visa-versa..........can't think of any exceptions But maybe it's just something that can be turned off?
              I'm sure there's no way you can't turn it off - that's why I had those two ideas mentioned in the post above. In the first you just see your unit die/get hurt and no enemy unit around - unless you accidently move on the same spot. In the second you'd just see a barbarian come out of nowwhere and attack you. In each case you'd know that an invisible/hidden nationality unit was the cause but you wouldn't know who - unless you had a stealth unit nearby to spot the enemy one.

Comment

well in that case maybe the first option would be best, although the second is o.k. Hmmm? It wouldn't matter that a special unit could see your unit - that's what they are for after all.Might have to make the A.I. give greater priority to haveing a special unit in it's armies if it starts to come under this special attack more than a few times.
                It would be a nice addition - although if it's a big job to do, i'm more than happy with the present selection of special units already. Just a thought, does anyone know if you use a sub to pirate trade routes is it just the same as if you used a non-stealth ship - does the A.I still get the same tip-off/player same message box?
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                  Just a thought, does anyone know if you use a sub to pirate trade routes is it just the same as if you used a non-stealth ship - does the A.I still get the same tip-off/player same message box?
                  I know that the AI uses the subs like conventional units to pillage my coasts, fro the tips and message boxes I would say the AI gets none of them. For the subs you could use the cheat editor place a city with some sea improvements and switch over to a different civ place then a sub of that on a sea improvement and pillage it if you recieve a message that you are now at war then it works like with the conventional units. Of course make shure first that both nations have contact. BTW if I use the slaver then I get a declaration of war.

-Martin
                  Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Thanks Martin, i also seem notice the AI pillaging my coasts with subs, just never really noticed if it happend outside of the 'view' of any sub-detecting ships. I'll try a MP game and see how it works on that( I like to test stuff this way so i can see how cool mp can be!)

Comment

Ok, so the thing I'm going to try whenever I find the time is the naval unit, a pirat ship with the following abilities:
                      Civilian unit, stealth unit, can attack a enemy ship without disclosing it's nationality (don't know yet which workaround i'll use), can pirate trade routes, can pillage

would be cool if anybody could extract the graphics of the privateer from civ3 for me

Comment

One could give the unit 0 Attack, a high Ranged value and Bombard capabilities. That way at least the human player wouldn't know who's attacking (bombarding) him. I don't know about the AI though...
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

The AI is certainly a problem and wouldn't bombarding also declare war? Just thought of another possibilty: If in the attack order I execute my special-attacking slic and then return STOP, would that prevent the enemy from knowing who it was?

Comment

Okay, I changed the settings of the longship instead of creating a new unit just for testing. What works is this - the AI doesn't declare war on me, so he doesn't know who's done it. Nevertheless through the cheat editor I see, that the ship becomes visible after the stopped attack, so it won't work in multiplayer.
                            If you want to have a lok at it, here it is... Desperate to keep my regular game clean from any modding I always create a new mod, so that's how this is set up.
                            Next, I'll try the solution with the barbarians.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here are the next two. The trigger for the attack is the entrench order for the longship as it can't attack with this setting. The code checks all tiles around and in b kills the enemy unit, in c creates a barbarian battleship nearby which is killed after it has done one attack. However, the barbarian ship can't attack during my turn even though I tell it in the code to do so. So if you don't dissappear with your ships immeadetly it might attack you.

I think I'll try further with b even though one could argue that c is also realistic since government paid pirates tend to be unpredictable... I'd still be happy if someone could get the flics of the privateer into ctp2 sprites since I don't have the appropriate programs.
                              Note: Just now I had the code only execute when there's one longship and one enemy ship. I'll change that, even though I'm thinking pirates will preferably pick on single ships.

Note2: This time I'm packing just the slc and the units.txt, so you need the first one to run it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X