ai hates me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ai hates me

I dont play civ3 much at all anymore, but i have only played 1 game with the new patch. I quit in the middle of the game because the AI all teamed up against me early in the game. I wasnt really doing anything to anger them. Why do they pick on me? I was only playing on Warlord.

Because you are different - it is called aiism.

Comment

But i just want peace and harmony, and butterflies. not war. this game is about civilizations not just a war game

Comment

Re: ai hates me

Originally posted by MarBaS
        I dont play civ3 much at all anymore, but i have only played 1 game with the new patch. I quit in the middle of the game because the AI all teamed up against me early in the game. I wasnt really doing anything to anger them. Why do they pick on me? I was only playing on Warlord.
        probably because you were winning. Were you playing an expansionist civ (America perhaps?) I have found that if I play an expansionist civ then I find loads of goody huts to get a quick lead and then everyone declares war on me.

You can et out of this situation by trading good stuff with your neighbours and generally bribing one or two of them to team up with you.
        Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Fun when that happens, isn't it?

Sometimes, having a lot of culture makes the other civs jealous enough that they'll declare war. I've cultured-flipped a bunch of cities and that makes my neighbors rather irate. Having a wide tech lead will do it too. But the thing that really get's a game of "Dogpile on the Human Player" going are Mutual Protection Pacts. Civ B has one with Civ C, who has one with Civ E, who has one with Civs K and M. If Civ B decides to go to war with you (and I believe you have to counter-attack Civ B to get this chain going), it just goes downhill from there. That's what happened in World War I and, to some degree, WWII.

I've watched a few pretty spectacular multi-AI wars erupt in this fashion. I often play modded Pangeas (256x256...can you say: End-game Sllloooooooo.........) with 15 other civs. Although horridly slow and tedious, Modern wars on those kinds of maps are, IMHO, just fun to watch. Seven words: Inter-Continental Ballistic Missles and Tactical Nukes. The AIs can get really unpleasant with their breathren when they have those kinds of weapons.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

But i just want peace and harmony, and butterflies. not war. this game is about civilizations not just a war game
            This maybe hard to do, but I find the best way to accomplish this is to tribute varoius things until they are on side (this is expensive and luxuries/tech help) and then pick out a common enemy ( a good one) and get them all to sign alliances with you against them.

The AI needs to express aggression and this way they will concentrate on one of their own. When that enemy dies, find another one. I don't like it too much, but it does work. You 'pull the strings'
            "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

No, the game is about Firaxis' FALSE and SPECIOUS ideas about "Culture", not about simulating history in the tradition of Civ 1 and Civ 2 - which is what we expected when we bought the game.

Civ 2 had it right.

And you bet other civs gang up on you. It's another form of annoying AI cheat. And that is in no way realistic.

Comment

Yes the AI will always mess up with the game even we thought Civ 3 would be better, no way. They always ally against the human and try to eradicate him I think the programmers thought this would add a little spice to the game when you have to fight for survival against 5 civs at the same time
                Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

Originally posted by Galvatron
                  Yes the AI will always mess up with the game even we thought Civ 3 would be better, no way. They always ally against the human and try to eradicate him I think the programmers thought this would add a little spice to the game when you have to fight for survival against 5 civs at the same time
                  No that is not entirely true:
                  (1) They tend to gang up on the most powerful civ.
                  (2) They tend to gang up on the most uncooperative/beligerant civ

that normally the player's civ. If you are behind and do a bit of trading then you can get them to ally with you.

Comment

Ahh that's the problem I'm too uncooperative

Might be because I never give them anything for free. Why should I as I did everything I own myself so why should I give it away for free. I prefer to go to war with the whole world before I give something away.
                    Dance to Trance

Comment

Calm down Coracle.

As a matter of fact I like Culture flipping. Historicaly speaking it happens, not too often but hey, it happens. Looking back at my own nations history, the Newfies almost flipped to the yanks back in the late 40's. The whole country was worried about Annexation for quite a while with many people trying to get us to go (William Lyon Mackenzie to name one)

Thankfuly we got over all that and managed to keap out of the US pocket, or atleast thats what Im going to keap telling myself.

also on the topic of culture flip, can you say Sudatenland?

But on to the actual topic, I find it funny when I refuse a demand from one country and the domino's fall into place, especialy when half of the ones that declare war on me arent even anywhere near me!
                      TWO FISTED MONKEY STYLE ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Galvatron
                        Ahh that's the problem I'm too uncooperative

Might be because I never give them anything for free. Why should I as I did everything I own myself so why should I give it away for free. I prefer to go to war with the whole world before I give something away.
                        well that's up to you. But don't you attack the AI civs without provocation? I know I do. Would you refrain from attacking a particular civ (and go against another one instead) if they gave you, say, silks for 20 turns for free? I know I would.

So equally an AI civ might attack you for "no reason". If you give them something, like a luxury that you aren't using for "free" then they won't bother attacking you anymore. In fact they might help you take on the Big Bad which, if you think about it for just a minute, will cost them MORE than those silks you gave them. In fact, in myh experience they will end up getting beaten by the Big Bad.

Comment

Re: ai hates me

hi ,

got a SAV(e) , somewhere , it could be of your actions , ..

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

When your doing well they gang up on you
                            I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Yeahh of course if they offer something to me I will be Mr. niceguy and attack somebody else. No I never attack somebody unprovoked: I attack them only when I need to defend my interests or want to expand and I think this are than justified reasons to attack somebody Often I try to build up the largest army in the world and than play the role of a mercenary. The highest bidder gets my services. It's funny to see how they try to pull you to their side. With this tactic you can be very rich in no time. 1) you get the "reward" from your ally in defeating his enemy and 2) you get the conquered cities.

So long life militarism.
                              Dance to Trance

Comment

Working...
                              X