Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All possible changes in Civ2?

Hi people,

I've been a regular on and off player of Civ2 (and the expansion) for a while but I've recently discovered the ability to customise it. I've begun looking into the rules text and playing around with the units pictures but from the stuff on the net it seems there is more too it. If mind me asking, to what lengths can you change the game?

Any info appreciated. Thanx.
    "Where the internet be free, high technology there be" - Journeyman journeys to Hong Kong Airport

The answer is "a lot". Look in the Scenario League forums for instance. There are mods which change a few things, scenarios which change everything. For example, consider Kull's Seeds of Greatness scenario:
    All units are different.
    Terrain values are different.
    Killing a settler gives you a settler.
    There are events spawning special units and barbarians.
    All wonders are renamed and have different graphics. They don't become obsolete, they could become obsolete at different times.
    The whole tech tree is changed.
    All governments are not reachable (no fundy).
    Terrain changes during the game because of events.
    Roads allow 4 moves instead of 3.

I think the only thing that Kull didn't change was the distance to palace under communism, and number of free support units. Also the max science/max science effectivity for fundy can be changed, and the number of food a settler eats.
    You also have amphibious units (type 3) stuff, changes for ranges of air units...
    In ToT there is even more (unpassable terrains, additional maps...)
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Have a look here

The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

One word: Amazing.
        Thanks guys. This has given Civ a new lease on life for me.
        "Where the internet be free, high technology there be" - Journeyman journeys to Hong Kong Airport

Comment

Yeahh but while the changes in Civ II are understandable the things in ToT became a little too complicated (the whole new event thing with masks, the flags,.....) furthermore there isn't even an editor so you would need to do anything manually in ToT.
          Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

Originally posted by Galvatron
            Yeahh but while the changes in Civ II are understandable the things in ToT became a little too complicated (the whole new event thing with masks, the flags,.....) furthermore there isn't even an editor so you would need to do anything manually in ToT.
            I actually got ToT free with a PC magazine here in Australia, in fact I heard about it at Apolyton. Played it twice, never touched it again I can't believe they used to sell it for $50.

I noticed the lack of an editor

Comment

Yes the things in ToT are really complicated.
              Do remember that ToT is not an addon but a game by itself. For those who didn't buy the previous civ2 version, it was worth buying.
              Still. there are things tht are quite easy to do in ToT you can't do otherwise, like making units impossible to bribe. You also get more slots for units and techs if I am not mistaken. The flags are indeed some of the most complicated things I ever saw. You can't expect people to handle bits like that. Some do, however. ToT-specific scenarios are not many, but some of those that exist are much deeper, by far, than the vanilla civ2 equivalent.
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                The flags are indeed some of the most complicated things I ever saw. You can't expect people to handle bits like that. Some do, however. ToT-specific scenarios are not many, but some of those that exist are much deeper, by far, than the vanilla civ2 equivalent.
                ToT gives you more control than even Civ2? Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to dismiss it. At the moment I'm trying to create a fairly complex 'Western Front/Battle for France' scenario (you can follow my hopeless progress here ). I'm afraid I was too disappointed from face value.

Comment

Yes, ToT has the potential to be huge scenario-wise
                  4 maps, many scenario facilities, Angelo Scotto's programm CSPL (if I don't mispell it) and some other cool stuff.
                  If only I had more time

And there are ways to get a mapeditor
                  Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Yes, ToT has the potential to be huge scenario-wise
                    4 maps, many scenario facilities, Angelo Scotto's programm CSPL (if I don't mispell it) and some other cool stuff.
                    If only I had more time

And there are ways to get a mapeditor
                    (I know some have found one)
                    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Working...
                    X