Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know how to edit the .exe file...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know how to edit the .exe file...

...If I can figure out how the program knows when to play the intro movie and when to give the WoW popup window, it may be possible to incorporate some of the old Civ2 movies into Civ3. Civ3 uses two .bik movies: the Intro movie and the Space Race Victory movie (though, there are three). I have a program that can convert the .avi movies from Civ2 into the .bik format that Civ3 uses. I'd really like to be able to see those movies again since Firaxis chose not to incorporate movies this time around.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Anyone even going to try commenting?

Comment

HELLO!!! God, I'm gonna' cry! Does no one care enough about the lack of movies and the possibility I could add them to even post the word "No?" Four days, thirty-some-odd views, and not one comment?

Surely SOMEONE knows their way through an .exe file...

Comment

I don't think you can do it.
        For your photo needs:
        http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Well, you could use a disassembler or a hex editor to do this, but that's a Royal Pain In The A$$. Trying to figure out someone elses code from the assembly generated by Microsoft's compiler is just something that I personally would not want to do for fun.
          Seemingly Benign
          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I don't think a disassembler exists. I know that there are no true Visual Basic disassemblers but am not sure for all the other languages. I would be surprised if a hex editor could do the job. I have opened Civ3 with a hex editor and believe me it is probably harder to understand then sanskrit.

You can really only edit a game to the extent that the creators want you to. If you could edit their code and everything then we could make Civ4 ourselves.
            For your photo needs:
            http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

There are plenty of disassemblers out there for Windows platforms. The problem is that all you get is some generic uncommented assembly code without meaningful variable names. While it is possible to use this to make a new version of code, it would be extremely hard (not to mention tedious) to do.
              Seemingly Benign

Comment

BTW, in the old days I used to patch code directly into memory in hex to check bug fixes, because a compiler would take hours to recompile the code, so using a hex editor to do the job is possible, but incredibly tedious.
                Seemingly Benign

Comment

Working...
                X