Carthage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carthage!

yeah, theyre bringing back my favourite empire.

What I cant figure out is what will be the second trait, obviously they will get Commercial. They were a merchant empire after all, but what will the second trait be?

What do you guys think?

I think its kind of obvious that Carthage will get a War Elephant for its UU, Firaxis likes to go for the well known.

As a side note, I realy hope Zama is included in the list of city names, it would just be cool to have Rome attack Zama and me beat them, kinda like cheating history.
    TWO FISTED MONKEY STYLE ATTACK!

I saw a spearman-type guy in one of the Celt pictures, and it looked like it could possibly be the Carthage UU.
    You might want to check them, bottom left corner of one of them.
    You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

Elephants?? Hannibal defeated Roman armies with special swordsmen, mostly.

I made the Indian elephant a 3.1. Which is accurate.

Carthage might also be religious. They were a bit fanatical about it though. Pagan stuff and sacrifices.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
        Elephants?? Hannibal defeated Roman armies with special swordsmen, mostly
        That's what Carthage is most famous for, if Firaxis is as predicatable as in the past then we can count on them doing that.

Hmmm, commercial and religious? Do we have one of those already? Certainly we must, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Comment

India is commercial religious.
          If you are unable to read this you are illiterate.

Comment

Yeah, India should have been Carthage in the original Civ3, it just makes sense. I mean, had Carthage won the punic wars, our history books would list Rome as a footnote and Carthage as a major focus instead of the other way around.

Comment

Spain will get commercial/religious too. Hence, the second trait could be :
              - expansionistic
              - militaristic
              - industrious
              - scientific
              I don't know enough of Carthage's history to know what it will be, but I think it won't be militaristic (after all, they lost the Punic wars).
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Trip

That's what Carthage is most famous for, if Firaxis is as predicatable as in the past then we can count on them doing that.
                Not always predictable, though. I'd thought the Greeks would surely have better galleys (that famous sea battle with the Persians I think) or those ancient cavalry units Alexander the Great used.
                "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Greece shouldnt get great galleys, it was Athens that was realy known for Galleys.

Also, I dont think ANY civ should get sea units for uniques, since sea and air seriously suck in civ3.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighter
                    Also, I dont think ANY civ should get sea units for uniques, since sea and air seriously suck in civ3.
                    If you did give Greece a galley, it'd be worth it. At that early stage of the game galleys have alot of influence on the spread of an empire (provided you haven't set land to dominate, that is)

One more movement point or transport hold would make a real difference.
                    "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

As i have posted in other threads the Carthaginian Unique Unit should be a special spearman, not a war Elephant.Although the Carhaginian Empire relied solely on mercenaries, they had a special military corps which the Greeks called the "Sacred Band".It was composed entirely of Carthaginian citizens of Phoenicean origin and fought in a phalanx formation.However these white dressed warriors were decimated at the battle of Tunis against Agathocles and never recovered.They did not appear in any of the tree Punic wars.We must have in mind though that Carthage, for the largest part of it's history was not an empire. They fought a lot of wars against the Greeks and Etruscans during their early days.

The second obvious choise would be a special galley.Phoenician triremes of early times were better constructed than the Greek ones.My ancestors were only able to overpower them through the use of better naval tactics.

But most certainly, not a war elephant.

The Carthaginian state was never ruled by a sole monarch,keeping the Phoenician tradition.Therefore "King" Hannibal is a highly improper title."Senator" would be a better choice.Moreover since Hannibal never acquired real political strengh,unlike his father, he should not be the leader of the Carthaginian civilization.He only became senator after the Punic wars
                      before finding enlistment as a mercenary general.

Their leader should be Hamilcar Barca,Hannibal's father,
                      and leader of the rulling Barcid family.
                      "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                      Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        I don't know enough of Carthage's history to know what it will be, but I think it won't be militaristic (after all, they lost the Punic wars).
                        Germany lost two world wars and is still militaristic, so...

Comment

However, Carthage wasnt very militaristic, sure they fought in wars but they mainly used mercs. Although Hannibal was a brilliant tactitcian, the Carthaginian empire was a merchant state more or less. I figure Commercial is a given and possibly Expanionistic, although with Hannibal as leader they may throw Militaristic to Carthage.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban
                            Germany lost two world wars and is still militaristic, so...
                            And they've also won quite a few before that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                              Pagan stuff and sacrifices.
                              Actually, they were quite civilized and weren't so bad as we use to think. Their only problem is, that the only sources we have, is Roman...
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X