Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOL. I keep getting Rise of Nations confused with Play the World for some reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL. I keep getting Rise of Nations confused with Play the World for some reason

LOL, I just read Rise of Nations article and I got it confused with Play the World..LOL.

I was getting psyched I was like wow we are getting special units for each age..I didn't know that!!

I read Russians get t-34, then t-80 tanks and katayusha rockets..special abilities like russian winter and I was like WOW ..this IS gonna be an awesome upgrade!!!

LOL and it hit me this was an entirely different game..

and RTS (which I DESPISE)..

...pfffffffffffffffffffffffft...

I'm kinda deflated now after getting all excited over nothing.

IMO, RTS games stink.

Mostly because there's really no grand strategy, and all you ever do is build up a new base in each scenario or MP game.

*yawn*

But I wish those kinds of things would be in PtW. Instead we get 8 new civs, MP, new terrain sets and a new auto-bombard hotkey. I seriously think that's about all that will be in PtW.

Comment

Well I guess we'll see soon what PTW is all about.

As for RTS games...............they do all stink. But supposedly RON will be different. Not too excited though but we'll see.
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I still love the classic C&C. Live actors in a game? Amazing

It was fun and new - but about every other RTS draws from it.
        "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Yes C&C was fun because much of what it did was new. Unfortunately the hundreds of derivatives lack that advantage and just become formulaic. I dislike real time games in general (fps, rts, space shooters, platformers) but have thoroughly enjoyed the games that started genres or broke significant new ground (populous, C&C, doom, elite, gauntlet to name but a few.) Perhaps its also because typically as genres "mature" the difficulty level rises to appeal to the twitchers who become addicted to that style of game and need additional challenges.

One of the things I hoped for in the Civ III editor was the chance to make the sort of additions you describe. I wasn't expecting it out of the box from Firaxis but hoped for the chance to have modmakers insert it in the same way as CtP. Each civ having a variety of UU's they could aim for in each age and having to carefully choose which to go for, for example.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
            Yes C&C was fun because much of what it did was new. Unfortunately the hundreds of derivatives lack that advantage and just become formulaic.
            It was amazing really. When I played C&C I thought the genre would go places - and hype aside besides a few good attempts (Starcraft, Red Alert 2 and maybe Empire Earth) it really hasn't.

Good old turn based has quietly survived thorugh the years
            "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoStar
              I still love the classic C&C. Live actors in a game? Amazing

It was fun and new - but about every other RTS draws from it.
              Can't say it was new, since it was just a bad copy of the great game Dune 2

And I haven't played any game that draws from c&c, and I have played many RTS games
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
              X